SportsWrath

Ryan Nassib costs Jasper Brinkley his job

JMFP

I remember many people (including me) thinking it was a dumb move burning a 4th and 6th for Nassib. It was too early in Eli's career to consider a successor, and the Giants already had a viable backup on the team.

Fast forward a few years, and Nassib has looks shaky (to be charitable). So the Giants had to pickup another QB, and cut Brinkley, who was one of the only LBs on the team capable of tackling last season.

http://nypost.com/2016/09/05/giants-add-insurance-third-qb-resolve-middle-linebacker-job/

Jasper Brinkley started the final nine games of last season and spent the entire preseason battling to again be the Giants’ starting middle linebacker, but the veteran was surprisingly cut on Monday to make room for someone the team hopes will never play.

After Giants coach Ben McAdoo said he was “very comfortable” with having two quarterbacks on the roster entering the season opener at Dallas, the team released Brinkley to sign veteran quarterback Josh Johnson, giving the Giants three quarterbacks on the 53-man roster for the first time since 2013....

(Maybe this post will get BB out of hibernation).

i agree Joe ....... always hated the Nassib pick .....and he has proven to be a worthless backup.

I'm beginning to think that McAdoodle-doo just talks total bullshit at his press conferences.

First he says that Williams is bouncing back and is going to have a big year with the Giants , next he says he is comfortable with Nassib and only 2 QBs .....and now this. ( Didnt we just guarantee Brinkley $1.7 M )

I thought Brinkley was the best LB on the team.

And not for nothing, but who the fuck is Josh Johnson? You wanna tell me we cut our best MLB for a quality backup like Mark Sanchez or Shaun Hill, I get it. We cut him for a journeyman on his eighth team? WTF?

This is just ridiculous.

I have been surprised by how many QB's have passed through camp the last few months since McAdoo took over. You would think he had other things to take care of first before looking at the Backup QB position, the offensive line searches for another starter. Brinkley was a good pickup last season and this season we have younger, more athletic players available. Nassib has been here four years and hasn't proven anything. Nobody cared about who was carrying the clipboard until McAdoo took over.

How long before sportswrath is calling for Johnson to start over Eli?

Start him now until the Oline is fixed.

And bench OBJ, Vernon, Apple until we are set up for a winning season.

In fact unless JR is an absolute idiot he would place all the starters on IR this season since it's already a wash.

i agree Joe ....... always hated the Nassib pick .....and he has proven to be a worthless backup.

I'm beginning to think that McAdoodle-doo just talks total bullshit at his press conferences.

First he says that Williams is bouncing back and is going to have a big year with the Giants , next he says he is comfortable with Nassib and only 2 QBs .....and now this. ( Didnt we just guarantee Brinkley $1.7 M )

He is which begs the question...why not cut Herzlich?

I missed a lot of the news over the weekend given I was away from TV/radio. I don't agree with carrying 3 QBs given Eli's durability and the needs at other spots.

That said, while Brinkley was adequate, maybe ever so slightly above, I don't think his production will be missed in great numbers. I'm fairly confident there is someone on the roster that could make up for it.

I'm more surprised to hear the Eagles going with Wentz as their starter than I am about this.

I missed a lot of the news over the weekend given I was away from TV/radio. I don't agree with carrying 3 QBs given Eli's durability and the needs at other spots.

That said, while Brinkley was adequate, maybe ever so slightly above, I don't think his production will be missed in great numbers. I'm fairly confident there is someone on the roster that could make up for it.

I'm more surprised to hear the Eagles going with Wentz as their starter than I am about this.

I wonder if this is shows their confidence in BJ Goodson?

I wonder if this is shows their confidence in BJ Goodson?

My point wasn't towards anyone specific. Simply that while Brinkley was good, there are guys here who could be just as good and that there might not be as much of a drop off. Goodson...I'm thinking may be a year away.

I do question the need for a 3rd QB though. 'Competition for Nassib' that's being put out there....I don't buy that.

I've seen the commentary that if Nassib didn't fit the bill for the backup and Johnson did...then Nassib should have been the one to go and not Brinkley. Or, if you wanted to ship out Brinkley, replace him with another LBer who's better. I just don't feel that this move made the team better.

I don't think you replace your back-up QB only days away from the start of the season either. If they are looking to replace Nassib then the new guy will need a few weeks to learn the system. If this was early in pre-seaon then sure, but it's a bit risky this late.

Josh Johnson, if I recall, moves pretty darn well... they're calling it competition for Nassib, but I bet Johnson is really just running scout team for mobile QBs.

I've heard this too and if so, I guess it makes a little more sense.

If that's the case though, couldn't we have gotten rid of Herzlich?