SportsWrath

Ryan Nassib costs Jasper Brinkley his job

JMFP

I thought Herzlich looked bad this preseason, so.... I'm not entirely sure why he's still on the roster.

Special teams, I know, I know.... but I can't help but think it would be easier to coach up a better LB to play specials than it would be to coach up Herzlich into a better LB.

I too am surprised Herzlich is still here lol

I'm okay with it tho.

Also Brinkley was nice looking but even less athletic then Herzlich. So it's okay, little odd tho.

Agreed on Josh Johnson, good practice QB, 3 QBs aren't needed when you have an Eli, but it's not abnormal to have 3 QBs and also They could be grooming Johnson too possibly take the number 2 job from Nassib if not this year then next year, plus we needed to cut a Linebacker no matter what anyway.

Plus Brinkley will likely stick as a FA if we really want him again.

I think our best linebacker this year will be Jonathan Cassilas. I see a big year from him. Plus he's a two time super bowl champ from 2 teams, brings the speed and swag to the unit when protected by a DL led by Snacks allowing Cassilas to flourish since he's not the most physical player whatsoever without good DL help.

To be fair I think 3 qbs is standard isn't it? Might've just been something mcadoo had to convince Reese to do

Yes, many teams carry 3 on the active roster. We really haven't ever since we devoted a roster spot to a long snapper. Long snapping is usually a duty assigned to a backup lineman or linebacker. In our situation, we carry a guy who does nothing but long snap and nothing else. So we've gotten away with that in terms of available roster spots by not carrying a 3rd QB.

Because we're keeping DeOssie AND seemingly a 3rd QB in Johnson - it created a need to cut a LBer, a position we struggle to fill even adequately.

Yes, many teams carry 3 on the active roster. We really haven't ever since we devoted a roster spot to a long snapper. Long snapping is usually a duty assigned to a backup lineman or linebacker. In our situation, we carry a guy who does nothing but long snap and nothing else. So we've gotten away with that in terms of available roster spots by not carrying a 3rd QB.

Because we're keeping DeOssie AND seemingly a 3rd QB in Johnson - it created a need to cut a LBer, a position we struggle to fill even adequately.

I don't think we usually carry 8 linebackers either, which is what we had before we cut Brinkley.

In other news, did you guys read about the two tight ends the Jets picked up, one being known for his blocking and special teams play in college? http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/09/jets_claim_4_players_off_waiver_wire_including_two.html

Good thing we have another QB though, I just hope we still have enough clipboards.

Casillas is a mixed bag. He made some tremendous plays in the preseason, but then followed it up by taking some really poor angles on subsequent plays. He does seem to be looking better this year than in previous years, I just hope this rib issue doesn't linger with him.

8 linebackers was overkill, Brinkley is one-dimensional, and my guess was he wouldn't survive cut-down day to 53. Simply because we have 4 other linebackers that can play his position, and 3 of which are more athletic, better in coverage. This was just a delayed cut, he was replaced when they signed Sheppard and we had no major injuries to justify his roster spot.

We're calling Jonathan Casillas are star LB? This is what's it come to really? Please stop

Hey every defense needs a LB for a hero if you are a Linebacker fan of the New York Giants, living in the past since 1990...