SportsWrath

JPP sues ESPN, Adam Schefter for posting his medical records

Mr. P

Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul is flagging ESPN and its reporter Adam Schefter for posting his private medical records online to millions of readers.

Pierre-Paul, 27, sued ESPN and Schefter in a Florida court Wednesday, citing a violation of his privacy.

The NFL player blew off a finger in a July 4 fireworks mishap and was treated at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami, according to his lawyers Mitchell Schuster and Kevin Fritz.

Schefter “improperly obtained” Pierre-Paul’s medical chart showing the defensive end had his right index finger amputated and posting the record on Twitter to nearly 4 million followers, the suit says.

“This action arises out of ESPN reporter Schefter’s blatant disregard for the private and confidential nature of plaintiff’s medical records, all so Schefter could show the world that he had ‘supporting proof’ of a surgical procedure,” the suit says.

Schefter later admitted he “could have and should have done even more to protect [Pierre-Paul’s] medical records,” in an interview with Sports Illustrated.

The reporter said he tweeted the image of the medical record to bolster a story about the surgery.

Schefter, 49, who lives in New York, is a regular contributor to ESPN TV programs like “NFL Insiders,” “Monday Night Countdown” and “SportsCenter.”

Pierre-Paul’s Miami Dade County civil suit, which does not specify money damages, says that while the player’s injury may have been “a matter of legitimate public concern,” the “chart was not.”

A spokesman for ESPN and Schefter declined to comment.

http://nypost.com/2016/02/24/jpp-sues-espn-adam-schefter-for-posting-his-medical-records/

Saw this and wondered how, or if, it would affect the Giants willingness to re-sign him. Or...if the writing is on the wall that he won't be re-signed to anything close to what he was making and this is just a money grab on his part. For all the pictures he has now posted, I think it'd be hard for him to prove he's all that distraught about having the information about his hand out there for the public view.

Saw this and wondered how, or if, it would affect the Giants willingness to re-sign him. Or...if the writing is on the wall that he won't be re-signed to anything close to what he was making and this is just a money grab on his part. For all the pictures he has now posted, I think it'd be hard for him to prove he's all that distraught about having the information about his hand out there for the public view.

I don't think it will have any effect on his being re-signed or not.

I was wondering when he was going to get this ball rolling. He could have sued months ago, and he should be suing the hospital too. It was an unreasonable breach of his privacy. Someone is getting fired and JPP is in the right.

I was wondering when he was going to get this ball rolling. He could have sued months ago, and he should be suing the hospital too. It was an unreasonable breach of his privacy. Someone is getting fired and JPP is in the right.

People have already been fired at the hospital as part of a 'litigation settlement'.

I see two completely separate issues.

Under HIPPA laws...it was also a felony.

C. Wagon

Under HIPPA laws...it was also a felony.

C. Wagon

I'm pretty sure the HIPAA laws would only apply to the hospital employees, not to Schefter/ESPN. The violation of HIPAA was via the hospital employees. Two employees were fired.

I should add that regardless, I think JPP has a valid case against Schefter/ESPN.