SportsWrath

Giants Cut Preston Parker/Re-sign Kenrick Ellis

Mr. P

the truth is jones isn't that good and his value is completely touchdown dependent while playing with the best qb in the world that he happens to be extremely familiar with. he also isn't a slot receiver. i'm glad parker is gone but i don't think jones was ever going to do anything here unless the coaching staff was going to give him a shot at randle's job

the truth is jones isn't that good and his value is completely touchdown dependent while playing with the best qb in the world that he happens to be extremely familiar with. he also isn't a slot receiver. i'm glad parker is gone but i don't think jones was ever going to do anything here unless the coaching staff was going to give him a shot at randle's job

If we kept Jones there would probably just now be complaints about keeping him over Corey Washington.

Jones was head and shoulders above all of our receivers in training camp and already had a familiarity with the offense. He's a great option as a number 2 because he can move the chains and he's sure handed...things that Randle should be right now. And the choice was obvious. They signed the guy to provide depth and insurance and that's exactly what he would provide right now.

Let's stop acting like the Giants have made good decisions this year because nearly every single one has been piss poor, short sighted, and/or desperate...from Coughlin to Reese. They are getting hammered in national sports media; not just New York and folks on Sportswrath. No one is being overly critical, this is the way it is.

i wouldn't have had a problem jones with taking randle's job. i'm not a fan of randle and he hasn't come anywhere close to earning this apparent untouchable status he has as the other outside receiver. i just don't see this as a parker vs jones debate because they play different positions. harris played in the slot for the cowboys a lot and while i don't think he's anything special as a receiver i don't really see why parker HAD to be here when we had someone who is better at special teams and slot receiver already on the roster making guaranteed money

Another issue I have with this is that they KNEW that Rueben Randle has an issue with tendinitis in his knees. He clearly has no explosiveness right now; he barely has been targeted which tells me he's not getting open consistently. After two games of ineffectiveness, the Giants could be playing Jones at the position and either putting Randle on short term IR or letting him rest a couple games.

So the decision making here was incredibly short sighted. Maybe they will get a return in karma for listening to Jones' wishes...and maybe some good karma from GB. Otherwise, they have no wide receivers to target other than Beckham and Vereen.

Again, he didn't have a choice. It was stupid to cut him, particularly with a question mark still hanging over Cruz. Here's the full quote from Jones:

From talking to [Tom] Coughlin, he was telling me I had a great camp, and I was one of the best receivers out there -- I led the whole team in preseason -- but these other guys they are going to go with. And I understood that. And to be honest with you, I told Coach Coughlin that I didn't want to be one of those guys who dressed one week, didn't dress another week, especially me going on nine years in the NFL. I wanted to have the opportunity to go somewhere and play and be a part of an offense.

They already had the guys they wanted, so I think it was just out of respect for me to let me go, because I really wasn't going to be a big part of the offense, because they already had their top three guys they wanted, whether I outplayed them or not.

Sounds to me more like he was being told he wasn't making the team, not the other way around.

The quote only makes it worse. The Giants acknowledge he's the best WR during camp and then cut him? You need depth and whether the player likes this or not the coach makes this decision. With the way Parker and Randle have been playing the ball was definitely dropped here.

Isn't it weird that during the off season, we had a glut of WR's and it didn't even make sense when they signed Jones. We had OBJ, Cruz, Randle, Parker, Talley, newly drafted Geremy Davis, fan favorite Corey Washington, and last but not least, Harris who we paid a fortune for and with it, a promise to be used more as a WR.

Now we're so thin we don't even know where to go.

I think everyone - including the front office - is well aware that it was a huge mistake to cut Jones. They must be smacking themselves in the head saying, "wtf were we thinking"?

Randle better get his shit together quickly or he'll be shown the door as well.

Randle is still on the last year of his rookie deal. If that's not motivation enough to perform, then shit, he'll never be motivated. Because he's cheap and there aren't exactly a ton of options available to replace him, I have to think he'll be on the team till the end of the year...but unless things change drastically, I don't see him getting an offer from the Giants.

Randle is still on the last year of his rookie deal. If that's not motivation enough to perform, then shit, he'll never be motivated. Because he's cheap and there aren't exactly a ton of options available to replace him, I have to think he'll be on the team till the end of the year...but unless things change drastically, I don't see him getting an offer from the Giants.

Is it motivation or injury, though? The Giants haven't been really forthcoming about his tendinitis other than noting it's something he is battling. Has he been on the injury report? I know he's been limited in practice and such but tendinitis isn't something that happens over night.

I know Randle isn't highly regarded by most here but he's never been this invisible/useless. Something is going on. His NFL career is slipping away. If he can't make a contribution to our receiving corps in it's current state, what team could he play for?

The quote only makes it worse. The Giants acknowledge he's the best WR during camp and then cut him? You need depth and whether the player likes this or not the coach makes this decision. With the way Parker and Randle have been playing the ball was definitely dropped here.

But that's my point entirely. They didn't cut him because he asked to go, they were already going to cut him because they're idiots.

Is it motivation or injury, though? The Giants haven't been really forthcoming about his tendinitis other than noting it's something he is battling. Has he been on the injury report? I know he's been limited in practice and such but tendinitis isn't something that happens over night.

It really doesn't matter if its motivation or injury in the final year of his rookie deal. It's about results. If anything, he's earned himself a vet minimum extension next year and nothing more after the 4 years he's given us.

Well, I will say that I don't think Geremy Davis was just some top guy on some board when our pick came up. I think picking up a WR this past draft was purposeful and planned. We were dealing with Cruz coming off a huge injury and we were going to have a FA in Randle after the season. I fully believe that Davis was a hedge against both of those fronts. Given Cruz is reinjured and not ready, that Parker shit the bed, that Washington didn't make the cut, adn that we're currently 0-2...I really don't see a better time that to give the rookie a shot. Let him line up with the 1s this week and next. See how he plays here in weeks 3 and 4.

People think they know something about these guys but really everyone just has to wait and see. Somebody like Geremy Davis could be the next Hines Ward or the next Ramses Barden.

Dwayne Harris could have a ton of untapped potential at receiver. I do know he is very dangerous with the ball in his hands. I'm excited about these guys getting increased opportunities.

We are doomed to ever have two great WR's on the field at once.

Cruz and Nicks worked out very well for the Giants.

But that's my point entirely. They didn't cut him because he asked to go, they were already going to cut him because they're idiots.

I concur.

Ruben Randle is playing like... Ruben Randle. Aside from a handful of games at the end of each year, he's never been good, never clutch, never visible, and certainly not a difference maker. It's great that he beats up on the Jacksonvilles and Tennesees of the world but honestly, he's just not good. He runs the square-in well, but even then his other routes are poor, he doesn't know where to be, doesn't catch with his hands, can't time his jumps, and doesn't appear to be much of a blocker.

Does he have time to get it together? Yes, but I don't understand why you'd keep a player who was clearly outperformed in the name of "well, we hope he gets better." These are horrible personnel decisions.

I know Randle isn't highly regarded by most here but he's never been this invisible/useless. Something is going on. His NFL career is slipping away. If he can't make a contribution to our receiving corps in it's current state, what team could he play for?

When 5 guys are covering Beckham somebody has to be open right? In all seriousness he went against Trufant whose quietly a top 3 CB while they gave safety help Beckham's way. His knee tendinitis may be worse than originally thought too

Arena league? no wait, he has to catch the ball there too.