SportsWrath

This will Fewell your fire

Lughead

Giants' desire for continuity runs deep

JANUARY 2, 2015 11:35:09 AM PST
By Dan Graziano

New York Giants fans who have been hoping to hear that defensive coordinator Perry Fewell or special teams coordinator Tom Quinn would be fired may have to prepare themselves for disappointment.

I'm not saying things can't change, or that organizational pressure couldn't prompt Tom Coughlin to replace one or both of his coordinators. I'm just here to tell you that, as of now, from what I'm being told, he's leaning strongly toward keeping both of them. And if you've been following what's going on with the Giants, you shouldn't be surprised.

Following up a 7-9 season with a 6-10 season and missing the playoffs for the fifth time in six years would, in most organizations, be grounds for a coaching overhaul -- starting with the head coach. But the Giants aren't going that way. Ownership is judging Coughlin on factors other than his recent win-loss record and giving at least another year to turn things around.

That absence of significant consequence for the continued losing isn't the product of inertia as much as it's the way the Giants are doing business. And if it's good enough for the owner, and the owner says it's up to Coughlin to pick his coaches, then why wouldn't status quo be the way Coughlin would decide to go?

People close to the situation say Coughlin believes the Giants' problems this year had to do with (a) personnel shortages on both sides of the ball that have been a problem for several years now due to ineffective drafts and (b) an incredible number of injuries. For those reasons, he's disinclined to hold Fewell accountable for the performance of the defense. The man was without three of his top four cornerbacks for the bulk of the season, after all.

Even the coaching staff move they have made reeks of a desire for continuity. When quarterbacks coach Danny Langsdorf decided to leave after just one year, the Giants replaced him with Mike Sullivan, who was an offensive assistant on Coughlin's coaching staff from 2004 to 2011 with the Giants and was Eli Manning's quarterbacks coach in 2010-11.

Again, just something to think about as you wonder what's going to happen here. Changes could still take place, later today or next week, as Coughlin and his staff continue to evaluate things. But the way the wind is blowing right now, I'm thinking Fewell is back as defensive coordinator as the whole crew takes the plunge together for what might only be one more year.

LINK

It amazes me they're judging Fewel on this years performance and giving him a pass because of injuries when his defenses have at the bottom year after year including the SB year smh.... Tom Coughlin is the problem here... He can kiss my ass.

It amazes me they're judging Fewel on this years performance and giving him a pass because of injuries when his defenses have at the bottom year after year including the SB year smh.... Tom Coughlin is the problem here... He can kiss my ass.

I don't think the Colonel swings that way.

Eh, wasn't planning on the Giants being world beaters next year anyway. Maybe they will surprise me and make another title run, (almost) worst case scenerio we have another bad year and end up with another top 10 pick in 2016. A new HC, GM and DC come in with OBJ, this years top pick and a top 10 in 2016 and all of a sudden have a solid foundation. Maybe they draft Eli's eventual successor next year or with 3 years of top half picks they fill the holes on the oline/dline/lb/safeties.

I'd get rid of that handsome devil Quinn immediately ....... But Tom genuinely thinks he can turn it round next season with Fewell and McAdoo .....with continuity , fewer injuries and a couple of recent 'good' drafts. And he is probably right. TC is loyal and this team isn't that far away from being competitive. He doesn't like upheaval unless it is forced upon him and he has the backing of JR and Mara this time. TC believes that This Giants team can go 11-5 or 10-6 next year with a bit of luck. Lets hope he is right.

I still have hope.

Agree.

If Fewell stays it reinforces my belief that Coughlins loyalty is a double edged sword.....I can't see how Gilbride loses his gig and Fewell could be retained.

3 out of 5 years, his defense was near the NFL basement, including the 2011 SB season.

To me, it's pretty simple:

Over the past 5 seasons, have the Giants won or lost more games because of their defense?

Agree.

If Fewell stays it reinforces my belief that Coughlins loyalty is a double edged sword.....I can't see how Gilbride loses his gig and Fewell could be retained.

3 out of 5 years, his defense was near the NFL basement, including the 2011 SB season.

To me, it's pretty simple:

Over the past 5 seasons, have the Giants won or lost more games because of their defense?

Its highly debatable. Perry Fewell gives up some scary yards in the hopes of creating a turnover and the goal line stop.

Its highly debatable. Perry Fewell gives up some scary yards in the hopes of creating a turnover and the goal line stop.

And yet this season, his defense gave up more huge plays than I can recall.

His scheme made more sense years ago, and with better linebackers than Reese prefers to provide......to effectively run a Tampa-2, you need a middle linebacker who can cover alot of space. And today's passing attacks have become more accurate, and as a result, a patient, veteran QB usually has little trouble moving the ball at will.

And this says nothing about his utter helplessness defending against the run.

And his 2 linebacker, 3-safety defense seems like it's designed to give offenses both a run and pass option.

His scheme made more sense years ago, and with better linebackers than Reese prefers to provide......to effectively run a Tampa-2, you need a middle linebacker who can cover alot of space. And today's passing attacks have become more accurate, and as a result, a patient, veteran QB usually has little trouble moving the ball at will.

And his 2 linebacker, 3-safety defense seems like it's designed to give offenses both a run and pass option.

it's a bend and then break defense.

it's a bend and then break defense.

When your defense bends as much as Fewell's, its doubtful to hold any week of the NFL season.

Funny thing about the 3 Safety defense this season is it wasn't suppose to be until the injuries started and killed what was a 3 CB defense. Other funny thing is how Fewell pointed out how hard it is to run a defense without a MLB yet somehow managed to go years without one and then blame the problems of the defense on it. Wonder what the excuse is going to be for 2015.

Not for nothing, but if changes aren't made and TC tries to blame everything on injuries, that will be one of the lamest things I've ever seen with this organization.

"Well, our plan moving forward is to keep everything exactly how it is and just hope for better luck."

Fucking seriously?

Not for nothing, but if changes aren't made and TC tries to blame everything on injuries, that will be one of the lamest things I've ever seen with this organization.

"Well, our plan moving forward is to keep everything exactly how it is and just hope for better luck."

Fucking seriously?

Agreed 100%.

They switched gears with McAdoo and the offense looked much better than last year.

When your defense bends as much as Fewell's, its doubtful to hold any week of the NFL season.

Funny thing about the 3 Safety defense this season is it wasn't suppose to be until the injuries started and killed what was a 3 CB defense. Other funny thing is how Fewell pointed out how hard it is to run a defense without a MLB yet somehow managed to go years without one and then blame the problems of the defense on it. Wonder what the excuse is going to be for 2015.

The entire LB situation is maddening.....we have a GM that treats linebackers like lepers, and a DC that runs a defense that demands a versatile, athletic MLB.

Fucking seriously?

Yeah, this team has been kinda shitty for a while now, but i say fuck it, let the hang 2give it one last run and hope for either a sb or a 4-12 season to finally clean house.