SportsWrath

This will Fewell your fire

Lughead

LOL @ both Tom Quinn and Perry Fewell both coming back along with Teflon Tom. The only way these guys, along with Teflon Tom, will ever leave the giants is in a body bag.

I think Fringe put it best when he noted that Teflon Tom gets all the credit for the 2 SBs and none of the blame for all the shit that's gone wrong.

LOL @ both Tom Quinn and Perry Fewell both coming back along with Teflon Tom. The only way these guys, along with Teflon Tom, will ever leave the giants is in a body bag.

Holy fuck, if those two ass clowns are retained then my opinion of Coughlin will take a huge hit.

I don't give two fucks about injuries next year either....it's a given that the Giants will once again be tops in the NFL in injuries, so you can be sure that Fewell will be dealing with another skeleton crew.

Keep Fewell and Quinn, and if they miss the playoffs, Coughlin needs to be fired, simple as that.

The entire LB situation is maddening.....we have a GM that treats linebackers like lepers, and a DC that runs a defense that demands a versatile, athletic MLB.

Jerry Reese has tried to fix it but has just failed miserably in doing so. Kennard gives me hope for MLB 2015.

Jerry Reese has tried to fix it but has just failed miserably in doing so. Kennard gives me hope for MLB 2015.

And yet Kennard's ass is on the bench during the game losing defensive stand v. Jax.

Unbelievable if they retain this dude.

I think Fringe put it best when he noted that Teflon Tom gets all the credit for the 2 SBs and none of the blame for all the shit that's gone wrong.

Holy fuck, if those two ass clowns are retained then my opinion of Coughlin will take a huge hit.

I don't give two fucks about injuries next year either....it's a given that the Giants will once again be tops in the NFL in injuries, so you can be sure that Fewell will be dealing with another skeleton crew.

Keep Fewell and Quinn, and if they miss the playoffs, Coughlin needs to be fired, simple as that.

True to all of the above... Cheerleader gets too much of a pass... and as someone noted he must be a great bridge player cause his office politics are stellar...

Coughlin hitched his wagon to Gilbride too and ownership thought better. I was hoping for another shot of the same this offseason.

2015....it's Coughlin's Alamo, and his misplaced loyalty to mediocre assistants will write the epitaph.

I sort of feel bad for the guy. It's basically a certainty that the Giants roster will be ripped apart by injuries. The Special Teams will continue to suck under Quinn.

The defense will continue to be coached by a guy who trusts his paralysis-by-analysis system more than the players who are forced to run it.

I see next year as a 5-11 season....the wheels are totally going to fall off this fucker in 2015, and that will be that.

Look at the bright side... If Fewell and Quinn come back we will once again have a top ten pick. We should be able to solidify the OL and DL over the next 2 drafts and then be in good shape when Belichick takes over in 2016

Saban

2015....it's Coughlin's Alamo, and his misplaced loyalty to mediocre assistants will write the epitaph.

I sort of feel bad for the guy. It's basically a certainty that the Giants roster will be ripped apart by injuries. The Special Teams will continue to suck under Quinn.

The defense will continue to be coached by a guy who trusts his paralysis-by-analysis system more than the players who are forced to run it.

I see next year as a 5-11 season....the wheels are totally going to fall off this fucker in 2015, and that will be that.

We'll see what happens I guess because it certainly appears as if Fewell and Quinn are returning. My concern is what now, to do with Eli. The coaches, if they fail again next season, you'd think would be ushered towards the door if not pushed out it. Is Eli worth keeping to bridge coaching staffs is the question...will a new coach want to take over with Eli under what will likely be, a large contract? The problem is, they'll have to make the decision on Eli before the decision on the coaches.

We'll see what happens I guess because it certainly appears as if Fewell and Quinn are returning. My concern is what now, to do with Eli. The coaches, if they fail again next season, you'd think would be ushered towards the door if not pushed out it. Is Eli worth keeping to bridge coaching staffs is the question...will a new coach want to take over with Eli under what will likely be, a large contract? The problem is, they'll have to make the decision on Eli before the decision on the coaches.

I think Eli probably has 3-4 good seasons left in him. Sign him to a reasonable extension, and then leave it up to the new GM and coach. If they want Eli here as a bridge the gap kind of guy, good; he's arguably the best QB in franchise history, and I'd be great to see him retire a Giant. If you want to trade him to a team that's a QB away from being a real contender (Texans, Bengals, etc) than do that. I think you can get a first and a third for him from the right team, and that'd be half of what we paid to get him. At the end of the day I think he'd have cost us an extra 5th... not bad for a two time Super Bowl MVP.

Look at the bright side... If Fewell and Quinn come back we will once again have a top ten pick. We should be able to solidify the OL and DL over the next 2 drafts and then be in good shape when Belichick takes over in 2016

Belichick won't come here. George Young doesn't like him.

Saban

Cowher.

I wonder how the D would have shaped up if Mook stayed healthy. They were getting gouged in the middle but Mook and DRC had the outside locked up. Once Mook was out, along with Thurmond and McBride, there was just too many holes to fill.

I wonder how the D would have shaped up if Mook stayed healthy. They were getting gouged in the middle but Mook and DRC had the outside locked up. Once Mook was out, along with Thurmond and McBride, there was just too many holes to fill.

I think a Prince-DRC-Thurmond-McBride-Bowman CB group is about as deep a one you could ask for going into a season. Take 3 of the top 4 CBs off any team and see how they do. You can really add in the loss of Cooper Taylor and DRC playing hurt as well to that argument. I don't want to use injuries as an excuse to keep Fewell, but the cupboard at CB was pretty bare. I was still on the fire Fewell bandwagon, but not as vehemently as others.

Better the pass rush, add a LBer, and return this secondary...pray for health.

With a healthy team, I'd think Fewell would have managed to get the bare minimum out of them....maybe an 18th ranked defense, tops, if they were all healthy.

Belichick won't come here. George Young doesn't like him.

If Young is still making decisions for this franchise, we're in bigger trouble than any of us thought...although that would explain the indecisiveness. Hard to get a good medium nowadays. :P

I was fine with keeping Coughlin until this nonsense--how anyone can look at our specials and keep Quinn, let alone Fewell is beyond me--and this guy is going to do it!?

The 2010-2011 drafts were almost entirely dedicated to the defense, while the oline disintegrated--and it's Gilbride that isn't here anymore? Maybe it was time for a change on offense, whatever--but what evidence is there that there isn't the same need on the defense? WTF?

I really don't have much in the way of hope for 2015. At best, assuming offensive improvement (which isn't exactly a given), we'll beat teams with terrible defenses, and that's about it. If we play teams that can shut the offense down, we'll be blown out; and the defense will blow the close ones.

If Young is still making decisions for this franchise, we're in bigger trouble than any of us thought...although that would explain the indecisiveness. Hard to get a good medium nowadays. :P

I was fine with keeping Coughlin until this nonsense--how anyone can look at our specials and keep Quinn, let alone Fewell is beyond me--and this guy is going to do it!?

The 2010-2011 drafts were almost entirely dedicated to the defense, while the oline disintegrated--and it's Gilbride that isn't here anymore? Maybe it was time for a change on offense, whatever--but what evidence is there that there isn't the same need on the defense? WTF?

I really don't have much in the way of hope for 2015. At best, assuming offensive improvement (which isn't exactly a given), we'll beat teams with terrible defenses, and that's about it. If we play teams that can shut the offense down, we'll be blown out; and the defense will blow the close ones.

My last two feverish hopes:

1) That the story is premature; Coughlin completes his evaluations and determines a change at DC is warranted.

2) That Coughlin completes his evaluations, and forces fundamental changes on Fewell, similar to those that occurred in 2011 and 2013 following player interventions.

2011:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2011/12/against_jets_giants_defense_wi.html

“It looked like we played a lot of man last year but we used to mix it up,” Grant said. “We were aggressive because we knew what we were doing. Now, we’re out there guessing too much. Last year, even when we were playing zone, we were attacking. Now, we’re not attacking.”

They’re also not doing what Fewell and his assistants identified as a key ingredient in their defense: matching up “late in the down.” In other words, starting in zone and matching up with a receiver running through it.

Instead, there’s been a lot of standing around zones without making a play on the ball.

“We haven’t done it as well as we did it a year ago,” Fewell said, adding: “It’s a matter of trust, knowing who your partner is and how you’re working with your partner. It’s more of a, ‘I know where everybody is and I know where my responsibilities are and this is how I play it.’”

Fewell wants to see it this week. He has to. In a lot of ways, he’s simplified the game plan by getting back to what worked last year.

And the players like it.

“He’s been doing it week in and week out but he hasn’t been sold on it,” Grant said. “This week he said, ‘It’s do or die.’”....

http://nypost.com/2013/10/28/giant-improvement-came-when-fewell-simplified-defense/

....Did the Giants save their season that Thursday night in Chicago, down in the bowels of the visitors’ locker room at Soldier Field?

They haven’t exactly saved anything just yet, but at 2-6 and still in last place heading into their bye week, there’s a faint pulse instead of the flat-line prognosis triggered by their 0-6 start.

The way members of the defense see it, an impromptu meeting at halftime, while trailing the Bears 24-14, has made all the difference in a remarkable turnaround. Since then, the Giants have not allowed a touchdown by an opposing offense in 10 consecutive quarters, the team’s longest such streak since Oct. 23-Nov. 20, 2005.

“The fact of the matter is we all saw something that wasn’t working and we tried to come up with little, subtle ways to make it better and right now they’re making it better,” Justin Tuck said.

On their way to their sixth consecutive loss, the Giants had allowed 24 points in 30 minutes to the Bears and were well on their way to allowing 30 or more points in each of their first six games, which had never before been done in an NFL season. Something had to change, and, in the frenzy and emotion of a 15-minute halftime, it did.

Tuck, a team captain, recalls speaking up. So did Antrel Rolle, another captain. Defensive coordinator Perry Fewell voiced his opinion.

“All of us have a stake in this defense,’’ Tuck said.

The players implored Fewell to simplify the defensive calls, to allow them to react to what they saw on the field without any hesitation.

“We just didn’t have an identity on defense,’’ cornerback Terrell Thomas said. “We were adjusting too much and we were not playing fast. I think we were trying to do too much at times, as a coaching staff and as players. Once we got to a stage where we could simplify things and play a lot faster play with our eyes and our speed and our talent, you could see the results on the field.’’

The results have been eye-opening. In the second half in Chicago, the Giants completely stifled the Bears, limiting them to a third-quarter field goal to at least give the team a chance at a comeback in a 27-21 loss. The run defense was dominant against the Vikings’ Adrian Peterson (28 yards) and the Eagles’ LeSean McCoy (48 yards) as the defense pitched back-to-back shutouts.

No doubt, the acquisition of middle linebacker Jon Beason has been “an awesome addition’’ in the estimation of Tuck and everyone else, but the streamlined approach Fewell decided to adopt certainly has been the right move.

“You know what, let’s just go out there and see if they’re better than us,’’ Tuck said, “because I think earlier in the season we were beating ourselves. Just let us be an attacking defense and see what happens.

“Perry is pretty good at scheming, and sometimes you can have so much in, it slows you down because you’re mentally thinking about the checks. I thought we were more of a check-with-me defense in the first couple weeks of the season and that really didn’t allow us to play fast. I give him a lot of credit by saying we got to simplify this and we agreed, and he’s put together three pretty good game plans where we’ve played pretty awesome.’’....

Coughlin needs to look back to those points in 2011 and 2013, and demand that approach in 2015.

However, I doubt that happens.....I expect free rein for Fewell to impose a confusing scheme on his guys which once again drives the team to elimination.

My last two feverish hopes:

1) That the story is premature; Coughlin completes his evaluations and determines a change at DC is warranted.

2) That Coughlin completes his evaluations, and forces fundamental changes on Fewell, similar to those that occurred in 2011 and 2013 following player interventions.

2011:

Coughlin needs to look back to those points in 2011 and 2013, and demand that approach in 2015.

However, I doubt that happens.....I expect free rein for Fewell to impose a confusing scheme on his guys which once again drives the team to elimination.

But think how great the stats will be once we're eliminated again.

But think how great the stats will be once we're eliminated again.

Unbelievable.

It's playoffs or get fired in 2015. I can't keep defending Coughlin beyond this....he's really putting his head on the chopping block by committing the team's fortunes to his loyalty to Fewell and Quinn. They are at best unexceptional, and often overmatched.