SportsWrath

Nicks may stay in NY

Lughead

saw this over my coffee this morning. I would love to see him stay on a 1 yr deal. Wonder if despite two bad years another team won't make this impossible by offering him a big contract though.

Not saying one will, but they might.

Nicks on a reasonable one yr deal seems to good to be true

I was speculating about the possibility of a one year "prove it" deal deal during the season, if you recall......but then came the report of all the fines he incurred for being late and missing treatments - which leaked out of the Giants front office - and suddenly it looked like the player and team couldn't wait to get away from each other. Think it's unlikely both sides forgive and forget.

I was speculating about the possibility of a one year "prove it" deal deal during the season, if you recall......but then came the report of all the fines he incurred for being late and missing treatments - which leaked out of the Giants front office - and suddenly it looked like the player and team couldn't wait to get away from each other. Think it's unlikely both sides forgive and forget.

It wasnt the Giant's FO.

It was Carl Banks.

I was wondering about the fines and after the Cruz contract I think he didn't give a shit anymore and started acting more like a selfish spoiled brat it seems he is on the Burress route. he has to be smart enough to know that wouldn't work. I also think he though/thinks he didn't have to work hard anymore.

saw this over my coffee this morning. I would love to see him stay on a 1 yr deal. Wonder if despite two bad years another team won't make this impossible by offering him a big contract though.

Not saying one will, but they might.

Nicks on a reasonable one yr deal seems to good to be true

I agree wholeheartedly. My thought has always been, "what if we could keep him for one more year to see if the last couple of seasons were a fluke".

He stated that he would only go to a team with a quality QB. So must be he thinks Eli is one, or he wouldn't be willing to come back for a year. Maybe if Eli wasn't throwing off his heels 2 seconds after getting the ball, there would be time for Nicks to finish a route and make an accurate throw.

Anyway, a one-year deal sounds too good to pass up.

I still think he's gone.

There will be other teams willing to sign him to a 1 year prove it deal.

I think that if another team is serious, they will offer him a 3-year deal or better and you can kiss Nicks goodbye.

Any team in the country would love to sign him for one-year to see what he's got left in the tank. That's the ideal "low risk, high return" deal every team wants. Giants need to make this happen while he's still willing to do it and before some team like the Cowboys or Eagles (or worse, Belichik in order to spite us) sign him to a short multi-year contract.

I still think he's gone.

There will be other teams willing to sign him to a 1 year prove it deal.

even if no other team came forward to claim him with his apparent behind the curtains track record would the Giants FO take him back...... I am sure they would and the one year deal would be filled with alot of on the field and off the field clauses.

I was wondering about the fines and after the Cruz contract I think he didn't give a shit anymore and started acting more like a selfish spoiled brat it seems he is on the Burress route. he has to be smart enough to know that wouldn't work. I also think he though/thinks he didn't have to work hard anymore.

I still don't understand why the animosity towards Cruz's contract... Cruz played and earned his contract. This guy seems to have mailed it in.... and I think the Giants have bigger issues than a Diva WR.. no matter how good.. granted he wasn't good anyway the last 2 years... no matter what excuses there are.

Now Nicks thinking long-term ... and elsewhere

BY Ralph Vacchiano

Hold off on that one-year, prove-it deal for Hakeem Nicks. The soon-to-be former Giants receiver wants something more.

That’s what he said on Sunday, one day after an ESPN report said he was willing to accept a one-year deal so he could re-establish his market value. This time he told ESPN’s Josina Anderson “I just want to make it clear that I want a long-term deal.”

He also wouldn’t mind getting it from the Indianapolis Colts, San Diego Chargers or his home-town Carolina Panthers – three teams he specifically mentioned without mentioning the Giants at all.

“Ideally, this is what I want,” Nicks said. “I want to go to a team where I'm the missing link. There are a number of teams that I have my eye on once I hit the market. I know if I went to a place like Indianapolis I would be dangerous with a quarterback like Andrew Luck. I can see myself catching passes from Cam Newton or even Philip Rivers.”

Whether or not he can still see himself catching passes from Eli Manning is unknown, even though ESPN’s story on Saturday said Nicks was open to returning to the Giants – something that seemed much more likely if he really was willing to accept a one-year deal. After his poor performance in 2013 (56 catches, 896 yards, no touchdowns and reportedly dozens of fines for missing treatments and being late to meetings) the Giants are unlikely to offer him a lucrative, long-term deal.

Other teams probably will, though, considering Nicks is just 26 years old and had back-to-back seasons of 75-plus catches and 1,000-plus yards in 2010 and 2011 before knee and foot injuries started to derail his career. Nicks once was looking for a Mike Wallace-like contract worth $11 million per season, according to sources, though after his questionable effort last season his value is now likely less.

He expects to have suitors, though. In fact, he says he’s already heard from players around the league who are hoping he’ll sign with their teams. At the moment, Nicks’ agents can only talk to other teams. The signing period opens at 4 p.m. on Tuesday.

“Players have already started to reach out to me from other teams saying they would love for me to come join them. I just want to make it clear that I want a long-term deal and I want to be happy. I'm excited about talking to teams and making it work."

Last year was his "show me" season and he showed that he couldn't get separation, fight for the ball, or stay healthy.

I'd have him back at a 4 million per season contract that maybe has some incentives and nothing more. He's not worth it.

I'm thinking given the way the season ended for Nicks, his willingness to sign a 1-year 'prove it' deal just means that he's that much more anxious to leave NY.

As we've all pretty much agreed, a 1-year deal would be far more advantageous for the team...but not just the Giants, but any team league wide.

To me, this increases, not decreases, the liklihood he's gone.

I'm thinking given the way the season ended for Nicks, his willingness to sign a 1-year 'prove it' deal just means that he's that much more anxious to leave NY.

As we've all pretty much agreed, a 1-year deal would be far more advantageous for the team...but not just the Giants, but any team league wide.

To me, this increases, not decreases, the liklihood he's gone.

Agreed.

Last year was his "show me" season and he showed that he couldn't get separation, fight for the ball, or stay healthy.

I'd have him back at a 4 million per season contract that maybe has some incentives and nothing more. He's not worth it.

Which is a freaking shame too, I though Nicks would be a NY player for good, but's he's looking like Tiki, Shockey and many others before him.

what did nicks do last offseason other than recover from injuries that he played through right before a contract year to try and help the giants defend a superbowl that he had the biggest hand in winning?

I'm a big Nicks fan but wasn't this past season his "1 year prove it contract"??

I would agree but with how the entire team played last year, if all of them were on their "1 year prove it contract" then I don't think a single player would be returning.

I would agree but with how the entire team played last year, if all of them were on their "1 year prove it contract" then I don't think a single player would be returning.

Haha, too true, bro.

It's easy to forget how good this dude was before the injuries. Even in the first Dallas game I thought he was going to have a great year. I'd love for him to stay, but with the deal given to Cruz and his questionable behavior this season, he's not worth to us the contract offer he will receive. Somebody, like Carolina that he mentioned, will give him at least a 3 year deal. Fuck, the dude is 26.

Would love the Giants to sit him down, clear the air and offer him a 3 or 4 year deal at 6 or 7 million per.

I could see him in Indy though, or fucking New England.