SportsWrath

Herzlich signs deal

Lughead

From Giants.com

Herzlich, entering his fourth NFL season, was a restricted free agent.

In his first three years with the Giants, Herzlich played in 43 games with six starts. He has 57 tackles (44 solo) on defense and 33 special teams tackles.

In 2013, Herzlich played in all 16 games for the second year in a row, with two starts (at Carolina and Kansas City). He had a career-high 32 tackles (26 solo) and a team-leading 14 special teams tackles (12 solo).

Herzlich joined the Giants in 2011 as a rookie free agent from Boston College

So we sign Herz ..... errr waste Money on him that we could of used to keep Beason..... :doh:

From Giants.com

So we sign Herz ..... errr waste Money on him that we could of used to keep Beason..... :doh:

Yeah I'm sure the money we spent on Herzlich is going to be what keeps us from signing Beason.

and the guy lead the team in special teams tackles. Guys, It is good to have good special teams players on your roster.

Yeah I'm sure the money we spent on Herzlich is going to be what keeps us from signing Beason.

and the guy lead the team in special teams tackles. Guys, It is good to have good special teams players on your roster.

Naww P, the Giant's are a lost football organization with no way of righting the ship that is sinking in New Orleans.

Or some other drab that is posted here.

Leading in special teams tackles isn't that much of a selling point considering the overall play of the special teams last year.

Right, but in my eyes he played well on special teams. Well enough where

I'm not going to be mad about him signing what is probably a minimum contract.

Right, but in my eyes he played well on special teams. Well enough where

I'm not going to be mad about him signing what is probably a minimum contract.

Fair enough, I just hope they're not going to sign him and Beason and say "done." That squad is crying out for competition.

Fair enough, I just hope they're not going to sign him and Beason and say "done." That squad is crying out for competition.

The Giant's dont have "competition" money.

Unless we start releasing players and restructuring.

We have maybe one "impact" signing and the rest is going to go to resigning players and draft picks.

I didnt mean it like that. More Like maybe we should be concentrating more on Beason now and Herz later but any way now its water under the bridge.

We have maybe one "impact" signing and the rest is going to go to resigning players and draft picks.

We have around $20 million right now--before dealing with Snee and Baas. Right there, we're heading towards the upper 20s. Not to mention the current roster has a ton of very cuttable guys.

Remember, those salaries come off as new ones come on.

I'm not looking to sign last year's pro bowl team--but we can sign young guys with a little more potential than what we have. And honestly, who on this roster other than Beason is that critical to re-sign this year? Maybe Joseph? There's a couple that might be nice to hold onto, like McBride or Mundy, but those guys aren't going to be $5mil/year players. And if they can get that elsewhere, then they should go for it.

We have lots of spots to fill, but it doesn't have to be with our own players. Not after last year. Nor do they have to be name players--make your name here. I'd rather suck with young players, then suck with the old guard.

I'm with pdub on this one. Herz has value and I'm sure he's coming cheap. He's a monster on special teams and is still young. He's a very serviceable backup at LB.

No way in hell it will effect the Giants signing of Beason. If the Giants lose Beason, it's because some other team offered him a whole lot more than the Giants can afford, not because we signed Herz.

Yes, the Giants have a shit ton of veterans they don't need to re-sign.....and that should give us competition money.

I'm sorry, If we're going to spend money for guys to play special teams, let's go get Devin Hester and fuck wasting money on guys like this and DeOssie.

Damontre Moore played better on special teams and made more difference than anyone . I barely heard Herzlich or Deossie's name being mentioned on tv.

I'm sorry, If we're going to spend money for guys to play special teams, let's go get Devin Hester and fuck wasting money on guys like this and DeOssie.

Damontre Moore played better on special teams and made more difference than anyone . I barely heard Herzlich or Deossie's name being mentioned on tv.

If Randle is going to be our #1 do you really want him returning Punts . Cruz is not going to be on that detail and we have tried JJ before. Hester has a proven Track record on kick returns, Hester may be some one worth looking at for a ST player. He is 31 though he may be only good for another 2 years . not only that but he is faster than a cheatah

Why the Mark Herzlich deal was a good one for Giants

13035209-mmmain.jpg
Mark Herzlich worked as the Giants' starting middle linebacker during offseason practices last year. (Chris Faytok/The Star-Ledger)
8487074.png By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger

Email the author | Follow on Twitter

on March 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM, updated March 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM

Mark Herzlich signed a one-year deal worth $1 million, with a $775,000 base salary, according to league records.

And while some see that as a hefty price to pay for a special teams player, it's important to consider the risk factor for the Giants: Zero.

None of the money in Herzlich's new deal is guaranteed. The $200,000 roster bonus will be paid out in $12,500 installments based on whether or not he's active. The Giants can cut him whenever they please and won't be on the hook for any more money.

Add in the fact that Herzlich is a strong presence on goal line sets and could act as a dependable backup at two linebacker positions, and you have a deal that seems to fit all sides pretty well.

If Herzlich is active for all 16 games this season, he'll still come in below the right of first refusal tender amount by about $400,000.

In short, there's nothing to complain about here from a salary cap perspective.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/03/why_the_mark_herzlich_deal_was_a_good_one_for_giants.html

We have around $20 million right now--before dealing with Snee and Baas. Right there, we're heading towards the upper 20s. Not to mention the current roster has a ton of very cuttable guys.

Remember, those salaries come off as new ones come on.

I'm not looking to sign last year's pro bowl team--but we can sign young guys with a little more potential than what we have. And honestly, who on this roster other than Beason is that critical to re-sign this year? Maybe Joseph? There's a couple that might be nice to hold onto, like McBride or Mundy, but those guys aren't going to be $5mil/year players. And if they can get that elsewhere, then they should go for it.

We have lots of spots to fill, but it doesn't have to be with our own players. Not after last year. Nor do they have to be name players--make your name here. I'd rather suck with young players, then suck with the old guard.

Spoken as a true old line Giants fan... I can live without Herself and Crew...