SportsWrath

At 0-3, where do the Giants go from here?

BlueInCanada

Giving it a lot of thought.

I'd tear the whole team down and start over.

I'd keep a foundation to build around:

On offense. I'd keep Eli, Nicks, Cruz, and Randle....which has to be the best aerial threat in the NFL. Pugh is the only lineman that I would keep. Everyone else on the offense is replaceable and needs to be soon. (After a lot of thought, I'd keep Nicks...it's just too hard to find good receivers and I know Nicks is too talented to end up on the Cowboys or Eagles team and burning us twice a year)

On defense. I'd keep Prince, Paysinger, Linval Joseph, Damontre Moore, Cooper Taylor, and Mundy (Stevie Brown once he's off the IR)

Build a new team around that core!

I'd let everyone else on the team know that if they don't play with 100% heart and show some exceptionalism from here on, they will be out the door.

I would not keep either the defensive or offensive coordinator - time for new blood with new ideas.

Giving it a lot of thought.

I'd tear the whole team down and start over.

I'd keep a foundation to build around:

On offense. I'd keep Eli, Nicks, Cruz, and Randle....which has to be the best aerial threat in the NFL. Pugh is the only lineman that I would keep. Everyone else on the offense is replaceable and needs to be soon. (After a lot of thought, I'd keep Nicks...it's just too hard to find good receivers and I know Nicks is too talented to end up on the Cowboys or Eagles team and burning us twice a year)

On defense. I'd keep Prince, Paysinger, Linval Joseph, Damontre Moore, Cooper Taylor, and Mundy (Stevie Brown once he's off the IR)

Build a new team around that core!

I'd let everyone else on the team know that if they don't play with 100% heart and show some exceptionalism from here on, they will be out the door.

I would not keep either the defensive or offensive coordinator - time for new blood with new ideas.

The only problem I see with the core is that, once Eli retires it's basically all over.

Letting most of the team go in the next few seasons still has us in cap hell, especially with Eli's cap hits of 15+ million for the next few seasons.

With guys like Snee, Rolle, Bass, Eli and such the Giant's atleast financially are dead until the cap space clears which might be a couple seasons for now.

Eli's window is closing and fast with this team, he already has everything any NFL player would want and more, I cant see him pulling a Favre or even playing as long as his brother, once his contract is up in 2016 I can easily see him retiring from the game with what he has accomplished.

The only problem I see with the core is that, once Eli retires it's basically all over.

Letting most of the team go in the next few seasons still has us in cap hell, especially with Eli's cap hits of 15+ million for the next few seasons.

With guys like Snee, Rolle, Bass, Eli and such the Giant's atleast financially are dead until the cap space clears which might be a couple seasons for now.

Eli's window is closing and fast with this team, he already has everything any NFL player would want and more, I cant see him pulling a Favre or even playing as long as his brother, once his contract is up in 2016 I can easily see him retiring from the game with what he has accomplished.

You have to wonder if the front office decided to draft Nassib with the intention of having leverage to cut Eli's contract in half. I'm sure the front office is well aware of their cap situation and are figuring out ways to deal with it. When those discussions come up....you have to be looking carefully at the small handful of players making more than 50 other players combined.

You have to wonder if the front office decided to draft Nassib with the intention of having leverage to cut Eli's contract in half. I'm sure the front office is well aware of their cap situation and are figuring out ways to deal with it. When those discussions come up....you have to be looking carefully at the small handful of players making more than 50 other players combined.

Well, New England pays Brady a shitload and provides him with marginal talent to work with, thinkng being that he is such a good QB that he can make due with average players who can run routes or follow blocking. It's worked.

It's the dilemma of every team with a good QB. Also Eli has all the cards because you can't strong arm a 2 time SB MVP and the best QB the Giants have had for 2 decades. All the successful teams have to manage this cap situation because QBs get paid so much. This is where good coaching comes into play. Play to your strengths and hide your weaknesses. This was working great until the lines fell apart. The OLine can't run block, or now pass protect, and the DLine can't get pressure. When this is cornerstone of your team strategy it obviously becomes a big concern.

Well, New England pays Brady a shitload and provides him with marginal talent to work with, thinkng being that he is such a good QB that he can make due with average players who can run routes or follow blocking. It's worked.

Poor example.....3-time SB winner Tom Brady is one of the lowest paid QB's in the NFL. And he is so because he chose to be so. He made his extension for 3 years for $7 million in 2015, $8 million the next year and $9 million in 2017 (compare that with Rogers who is going to sign a 25 million per year contract). He has publicly stated that he wants to win more than he wants more money and that he would rather have the cap space to surround himself with good talent instead of being stuck with no cap room.

Would be nice if some players on the Giants felt that way.

Well I like to think the game on sunday against Carolina is as bad as it is going to get this season provided of course Baas & Snee are ok. When David Diehl gets healthy, we'll have some options and can plug him in where we need to at guard or tackle.

We have five days to come up with a short passing game that makes up for our inability to run the ball. Before the beginning of the season there was hope that Wilson would be a thousand yard RB, at this point if he gets 600 yards this season I'll be amazed at the achievement. So if Wilson can't run, lets line him out there as a receiver and see if we can get him the ball because lining up in the backfield isn't working.

Poor example.....3-time SB winner Tom Brady is one of the lowest paid QB's in the NFL. And he is so because he chose to be so. He made his extension for 3 years for $7 million in 2015, $8 million the next year and $9 million in 2017 (compare that with Rogers who is going to sign a 25 million per year contract). He has publicly stated that he wants to win more than he wants more money and that he would rather have the cap space to surround himself with good talent instead of being stuck with no cap room.

Nice sappy sentiment, but:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145460/article/details-emerge-on-tom-bradys-contract-extension-with-patriots

The upshot of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's new contract, which in effect turns his old agreement into a five-year, $57 million deal with the three new years tacked on, is in the guarantees.

Offseason Forecast:Patriots
0ap1000000140863.jpgWith the offseason under way, Around The League examines what's next for all 32 teams. Gregg Rosenthal tackles thePatriots. More ...

Brady gets a $30 million signing bonus as part of the deal, and that will be paid out between now and early 2015. In addition, his base salary of $1 million this year and $2 million next year are fully guaranteed. As of now, his $7 million base in 2015, $8 million base for 2016 and $9 million base for 2017 are guaranteed for injury only.

However, if he's on the roster for the last game of 2014 season, the $24 million due from 2015 to 2017 becomes fully guaranteed.

Brady's signing bonus doesn't create much of a salary-cap issue for the Patriots, since it follows roughly the same schedule as some deferred payments agreed to earlier

Nice sappy sentiment, but:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000145460/article/details-emerge-on-tom-bradys-contract-extension-with-patriots

The upshot of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's new contract, which in effect turns his old agreement into a five-year, $57 million deal with the three new years tacked on, is in the guarantees.

Offseason Forecast:Patriots

0ap1000000140863.jpgWith the offseason under way, Around The League examines what's next for all 32 teams. Gregg Rosenthal tackles thePatriots. More ...

Brady gets a $30 million signing bonus as part of the deal, and that will be paid out between now and early 2015. In addition, his base salary of $1 million this year and $2 million next year are fully guaranteed. As of now, his $7 million base in 2015, $8 million base for 2016 and $9 million base for 2017 are guaranteed for injury only.

However, if he's on the roster for the last game of 2014 season, the $24 million due from 2015 to 2017 becomes fully guaranteed.

Brady's signing bonus doesn't create much of a salary-cap issue for the Patriots, since it follows roughly the same schedule as some deferred payments agreed to earlier

Yeah....he gets paid after he's done playing so it doesn't go against the cap now. It's a smart move for both him and the team. In essence, he gets the real money (in the future) relative to a top QB, but they found a way around the cap restrictions by making his salary relatively low concerning his 3 SB's.

- This team has too much glittery talent at showy positions like WR, and has forgotten that the game is won in the trenches, mano-a-mano. Especially when you take into account Eli's absolute lack of athleticism, it's clear that the Giants need to be All-World at the line and average at WR, and not the other way around like they are now.

- They don't want it...plain and simple...this is the NFL, not your local pick up game, everyone is a pro and the difference between the guys who are great and the guys who are average isn't that big, and that difference is highlighted when the average guy wants it and the great player doesn't. Mr Average will win every time. EVERY time. Maybe winning two SB's in New York in six years is just too darn gratifying. The urgency and intensity just isn't there, and hasn't been since they came off the SB win and went out last year and proved again to everyone that they can roll with ANYONE in the league when they want to. It's like they proved that, and having established that fact, just rolled over. No one's giving you an inch in this league, and the Giants are expecting playoff runs to come to them, forgetting that the magic of the past was built snap by snap, yard by yard, game by game. They went out and played cleaner, more disciplined, and more intense football than the other team. The few great players on the team and all the average ones. This team has no heart, no edge, and they haven't since they laid the smackdown on the Niners last year. (With the exception of the brief wakeup against GB.)

I don't know how or if you get heart back, but this team needs a whole lot of it.

- Can we bring back Mike Sullivan? The only time in his career that Eli has looked like a genuine elite QB, a QB who brings it to the defense and dictates the game and is a force to be reckoned with, was under the coaching of this man. I want him back.

-Z

- This team has two much glittery talent at showy positions like WR, and has forgotten that the game is won in the trenches, mano-a-mano. Especially when you take into account Eli's absolute lack of athleticism, it's clear that the Giants need to be All-World at the line and average at WR, and not the other way around like they are now.

- They don't want it...plain and simple...this is the NFL, not your local pick up game, everyone is a pro and the difference between the guys who are great and the guys who are average isn't that big, and that difference is highlighted when the average guy wants it and the great player doesn't. Mr Average will win every time. EVERY time. Maybe winning two SB's in New York in six years is just too darn gratifying. The urgency and intensity just isn't there, and hasn't been since they came off the SB win and went out last year and proved again to everyone that they can roll with ANYONE in the league when they want to. It's like they proved that, and having established that fact, just rolled over. No one's giving you an inch in this league, and the Giants are expecting playoff runs to come to them, forgetting that the magic of the past was built snap by snap, yard by yard, game by game. They went out and played cleaner, more disciplined, and more intense football than the other team. The few great players on the team and all the average ones. This team has no heart, no edge, and they haven't since they laid the smackdown on the Niners last year. (With the exception of the brief wakeup against GB.)

I don't know how or if you get heart back, but this team needs a whole lot of it.

- Can we bring back Mike Sullivan? The only time in his career that Eli has looked like a genuine elite QB, a QB who brings it to the defense and dictates the game and is a force to be reckoned with, was under the coaching of this man. I want him back.

-Z

Awesome post, Z.

I've got them at 8-8 only if the line gets fixed, which I doubt.

The defense is hopeless as long as JPP plays with a bad back and Tuck plays, period. The linebackers make me long for Nick Greisen.

The offense will need to average 35+ points per game over the rest of the schedule for them to have any shot at the playoffs, and I don't see that happening.

I've got them at 3-13, maybe 7-9.

That's where I was going, Elisha (not Eli).

I hate it when a smart ass comment tanks.

I knew what you were talking about, I've often thought about why his name is spelled like a girl's name, but pronounced like Elijah

Archie's name was Elisha, too.

I thought Brady makes less than half of what Eli gets.

he still makes a lot but has been making 80-90% of his fair market value for a while now to help out the team. it's why he got so mad at the pats back in 06 for not putting anything around him. they responded by added welker and moss

If Brady is being paid so poorly, it makes you wonder where the money is going.

They have Brady, Gronkowski, Wilfork, and... and, uh.... ?

The pats tend to have solid players pretty much all around whereas the rest of the NFL has what amounts to the 1% vs the 99%.