SportsWrath

cruz and giants reach deal

Herc

I'm not worried about Tuck.. nor next year's cap. So many things can happen during the season and just like Cruz we will see some drama and at the end of he day the chips will fall... Besides, Cruz's #s are better than Nicks... I'm not too hung up on who's the X and who's the slot... I wish Cruz didn't push it like he did but hey... I'm not that ticked off at him (not that he cares lol).... We'll see the #s at the end of the year and Nicks will be given a price tag accordingly.

Do NOT minimize the importance of Nicks! You saw when he was out last year, our receivers were smothered off the line and the offense slowed dramatically. As good as Cruz is, a major threat on the outside is what makes a slot receiver effective. Remember, Steve Smith had a huge year out of the slot, too. This says to me that Cruz is more easily replaced than Nicks......but no doubt, they make each other more effective - and Nicks is younger than Cruz! I know it's a lot of cap $$ to tie up on a few players, as mentioned above but Nicks, Cruz and Eli are a devastating combination. Besides, the other major pieces of the O - David Wilson and Rueben Randle, along with some young offensive linemen, will be working cheap for at least a few more years. I think the Giants will make a bigger effort than you might think to get both Nicks and Cruz wrapped up for something like 3 or 4 years, anyway.

Do NOT minimize the importance of Nicks! You saw when he was out last year, our receivers were smothered off the line and the offense slowed dramatically. As good as Cruz is, a major threat on the outside is what makes a slot receiver effective. Remember, Steve Smith had a huge year out of the slot, too. This says to me that Cruz is more easily replaced than Nicks......but no doubt, they make each other more effective - and Nicks is younger than Cruz! I know it's a lot of cap $$ to tie up on a few players, as mentioned above but Nicks, Cruz and Eli are a devastating combination. Besides, the other major pieces of the O - David Wilson and Rueben Randle, along with some young offensive linemen, will be working cheap for at least a few more years. I think the Giants will make a bigger effort than you might think to get both Nicks and Cruz wrapped up for something like 3 or 4 years, anyway.

In no way I was minimizing Nicks' importance but this whole notion of "I'm going to the highest bidder" when he still has one year left on his current contracts strikes me as silly.

i think the tender cap hit was going to be 2.89 mil this year so i doubt it

I'd imagine if he's set to make 8 million or so a year, he'd jump up, quite a bit, correct? Unless they backload it....I've never been good at my own finances let alone a salary cap hehe

While I believe this, too....you see guys like Wes Welker have insane seasons simply because he's good at finding holes in offenses....the Patriots never really had a guy the caliber of Nicks on their team and he was putting up the best numbers of his career.

I've never been one to weigh YPC average all that much higher than number of catches....10 yard receptions are just as good in most cases as 16 yard receptions are, in my book...it's all about moving the chains and keeping possession....plus Cruz is absurdly good with the ball in his hands. I think he's undervalued by a lot of Giants fans simply because he can't outjump or be more physical than Nicks....

i think both wr's are pro-bowlers without the other one. nicks put up similar numbers before cruz got there and cruz still had 1000 yards with nicks missing/being a non-factor most of last season.

In no way I was minimizing Nicks' importance but this whole notion of "I'm going to the highest bidder" when he still has one year left on his current contracts strikes me as silly.

i still don't get where you're getting this impression from. this is the interview he gave, it's a bunch of politically correct non-answers

Q: Did you at all reach out to him during your absence or was this morning the first time you had a chance to talk?

A: This morning was, actually. But I talked to Jerry Reese. Mr. Reese knew what the situation was.

Q: How good does it feel to be back?

A: It feels really good to be back around my teammates and being in the locker room for the mini camp. I’m excited about it.

Q: Can you clear up whether it was contract related or not?

A: I told you all back in the spring I don’t really talk about my contract in the media. No disrespect to anybody.

Q: How does it feel to be back working with Eli?

A: It’s always a pleasure being out there with Eli and the guys. It’s always good.

Q: What did Eli say to you when you saw him today?

A: Eli tried to give me a hard time, but that can’t go but too long. He’s excited for me to be back, making sure everything is good with me. I’m ready to take care of business.

Q: How are you health-wise? Is the knee good to go?

A: The knee is feeling good. I’ve been doing everything up to today. We haven’t talked about what I’m going to do yet so far in this mini camp, but I’m going to talk to Coach Coughlin and then I’ll talk to the trainers and then we’ll take it from there.

Q: Do you feel like you’ve missed anything or something that would set you back?

A: No. I don’t feel like that. Not at all.

Q: Is it something you regret that your absence created a distraction when you weren’t here?

A: I never want to be detrimental in any kind of way to this organization because they’ve been nothing but good to me, but the distraction… The guys told me they don’t feel like it was too much of a distraction. I took care of what I need to take care of and I’m here now and that’s all that matters.

Q: What can you do about getting Victor Cruz here?

A: That’s his situation. I talked to Cruz. He’s doing good. His mind is in the right spot. He understands the business side of it. He understands the game as well, but he still loves this team and he still wants to be here.

yeah where did nicks say "I'm going to the highest bidder"?

It's not anything specific he's said or done, but rather the overall feel of it.

He's going into his last year and doesn't come across as concerned about his deal. Of course, that'd give the Giants the upper hand in contract negotiations if he did. He skipped the voluntary work outs and while he didn't admit to it being contract related, one has to figure it was either contract or injury that motivated him to stay away and he claims his injury is not prohibiting him in any way.

So while he doesn't come right out with it, there's a bit of it there.

I'm not certain he's a 'highest bidder' guy, but I don't see the Giants getting too hefty of a hometown discount.

It's not anything specific he's said or done, but rather the overall feel of it.

He's going into his last year and doesn't come across as concerned about his deal. Of course, that'd give the Giants the upper hand in contract negotiations if he did. He skipped the voluntary work outs and while he didn't admit to it being contract related, one has to figure it was either contract or injury that motivated him to stay away and he claims his injury is not prohibiting him in any way.

I'm not certain he's a 'highest bidder' guy, but I don't see the Giants getting too hefty of a hometown discount.

I had assumed, because of the use of quotation marks, that it was in fact a quote.

I had assumed, because of the use of quotation marks, that it was in fact a quote.

I can't find the article any more... as I read NJ.com, Daily News, and the NY Post Giants sections regularly. A few days ago the headline said (Paraphrasing) "Nicks not sure he'll be a Giant after next season"... something to that effect... thought it got under my skin, I didn't think much of it as I filed it under "off-season hot air"

We can always Franchise Tag Nicks.

Yea that's why I'll worry about next year.. next year. Hey, if he plays lights out, the Giants should have no problem showing him the money... but if he spends 6 games on the bench.. then the contract will reflect that.

Yea that's why I'll worry about next year.. next year. Hey, if he plays lights out, the Giants should have no problem showing him the money... but if he spends 6 games on the bench.. then the contract will reflect that.

If Nicks plays lights out we will more than likely have to match this if we franchise him. I would want Nicks to surely give it his all and leave it all out on the field.

the top paid 5 Wr's are

1 Andre Johnson $9.5m

2 Brandon Marshall $9.1m

3 Sydney Rice $8.5m

4 Santonio Holmes $7.5m

5 DeSean Jackson $6.75m

So if Nicks is tagged we will have to pay him $8.27m for 2014

If Nicks plays lights out we will more than likely have to match this if we franchise him. I would want Nicks to surely give it his all and leave it all out on the field.

the top paid 5 Wr's are

1 Andre Johnson $9.5m

2 Brandon Marshall $9.1m

3 Sydney Rice $8.5m

4 Santonio Holmes $7.5m

5 DeSean Jackson $6.75m

It's surprising that Larry Fitzgerald only makes 5m a year. I would think he'd be near the top of the list. He's certainly more valuable than Santonio Holmes (who doesn't deserve 7.5m)

ok i found it, it's on sportrac. that's base salaries though, i think it's total salary cuz the 2013 wr franchise tag was like 10.5 mil and it probably gets higher every year

the top paid 5 Wr's are

1 Andre Johnson $9.5m

2 Brandon Marshall $9.1m

3 Sydney Rice $8.5m

4 Santonio Holmes $7.5m

5 DeSean Jackson $6.75m

I could swear Jackson makes a whole lot more than that.

2013 List (Base Salary):

1 houston.png Andre Johnson at Wide receiver $9,500,000

2 chicago.png Brandon Marshall at Wide Receiver $9,100,000

3 hawks3.png Sidney Rice at Wide Receiver $8,500,000

4 jets.png Santonio Holmes at Wide Receiver $7,500,000

5 eagles1.png DeSean Jackson at Wide Receiver $6,750,000

6 49ers1.png Anquan Boldin at Wide Receiver $6,000,000

7 atlanta.png Roddy White at Wide Receiver $5,600,000

8 washington.png Pierre Garcon at Wide Receiver $5,600,000

9 arizona1.png Larry Fitzgerald at Wide Receiver $5,000,000

10 indianapolis.png Reggie Wayne at Wide Receiver $5,000,000

11 chargers2.png Robert Meachem at Wide Receiver $5,000,000

that's base salary only

these were the franchise tag numbers for this offseason

Quarterback $14,896,000

Offensive Linemen $9,828,000

Wide Receiver $10,537,000

Running Back $8,219,000

Tight End $6,066,000

Defensive End $11,175,000

Defensive Tackle $8,450,000

Linebacker $9,619,000

Cornerback $10,854,000

Safety $6,916,000

Kicker or Punter $2,977,000

the bonus money factors in, and these figures go up every year

If you're franchise tagged, is that money guaranteed? Like if a WR gets 'turf toe' and rides the bench all year, does he get $10,537,000? Because if that's the case, I'd try out for kicker, boot it once, and go into the locker room and pound my foot with a hammer for $3 mil.