SportsWrath

cruz and giants reach deal

Herc

If you're franchise tagged, is that money guaranteed? Like if a WR gets 'turf toe' and rides the bench all year, does he get $10,537,000? Because if that's the case, I'd try out for kicker, boot it once, and go into the locker room and pound my foot with a hammer for $3 mil.

Iirc... Franchise Tags are NOT guaranteed.

One down and one to go, hopefully we get Nicks signed as well and lock down our offense for the next 5+ years.

Sit down, take a nap, have a beer, smoke a blunt and really think about that one before you reply.

One down and one to go, hopefully we get Nicks signed as well and lock down our offense for the next 5+ years.

Sit down, take a nap, have a beer, smoke a blunt and really think about that one before you reply.

Right on... besides Nicks is next year's problem... and a lot can happen in one season.

$15 million guaranteed. Not bad for UFA and he still gets the hometown love for the next 6 years.

At which point his career will likely be winding down, too. Basically, this locks him up for his prime. Let's hope he is ready to get to work and shows the same resilience and courage in going over the middle (and often getting whacked pretty hard).

Cruz’s deal breaks down to $15.6 million over two years, four one-year deals

More details are trickling in regarding the contract to be signed today or on Tuesday by Giants receiver Victor Cruz.

As a practical matter, the deal pays Cruz the fully-guaranteed amount of $15.6 million in 2013 and 2014, according to a source with knowledge of the terms. Then, come 2015, the contract converts to a series of four one-year deals.

The money is paid over the first two years via a $9.5 million signing bonus, a $630,000 base salary in 2013, a $1.5 million roster bonus due in 2014, and a $4 million base salary in 2014. All of those payments are guaranteed.

The base salaries beyond Year Two are $6.15 million in 2015, $7.9 million in 2016, $7.4 million in 2017, and $8.4 million in 2018.

Though the salaries beyond 2014 aren’t guaranteed, a decision to cut or trade Cruz after two seasons would have a cap consequence in excess of $6 million. That number will reduce with each passing year. Still, after two years it essentially becomes a year-to-year arrangement.

Nevertheless, Cruz has received a guaranteed pay day far bigger than anything he surely ever dreamed he’d receive, and for at least the next two years — and likely a lot longer — he’ll be a member of the Giants.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/08/cruzs-deal-breaks-down-to-15-6-million-over-two-years-four-one-year-deals/

Yes, Cruz caved.

I wasn't able to read the details yesterday as I was on the road.. only when my friend texted me and the #s didn't make sense.. given the standoff... I think the Giants gave him a very good deal and he finally took it. Now I hope the Giants can get the ball rolling on Nicks... either that or just wait till next year.

The Giants, who did open talks with Nicks’ agent but got nowhere during the offseason, according to an NFL source, may not be willing to take such a huge financial gamble on a fragile player. And even if they are, they might not have the room under the salary cap to have so much money tied up in two players who play the same position.

“I’m concerned as a teammate and as a friend because I want to see Hakeem around in Giants blue as long as we’re together in the National Football League,” Cruz said. “But there’s ways to do things. There’s ways that you can create space.

“So I think that’s a road the Giants have to cross when they get there. But it’s going to be tough. It’s going to take some decision-making. It’s going to take whether Hakeem wants to be here or not. And it’s about him taking care of his family at this point. We’ll see how it goes, but it’s definitely going to be a long road ahead.”

In the mean time, Cruz’s advice to Nicks is to “stay level-headed” and, more importantly, stay quiet until his deal gets done.

“Take my approach and don’t say anything,” Cruz said. “You don’t need to say anything. There’s nothing to say that’s going to help your cause, at least publicly. Just stay with your family, stay grounded, stay in communication with your agent and let him know exactly what you want and what you’re looking for. That’s all you need. And then everything will unfold from there.”

I suspect the Giants offer to Nicks will come down to two things:

1) can Nicks stay healthy for the whole season

2) the progression of Randle

If Nicks misses several games and Randle starts playing like a stud, they might just let Nicks walk. Hopefully, Nicks stays healthy and the Giants find some common ground on payola, while Randle impresses.

I suspect the Giants offer to Nicks will come down to two things:

1) can Nicks stay healthy for the whole season

2) the progression of Randle

If Nicks misses several games and Randle starts playing like a stud, they might just let Nicks walk. Hopefully, Nicks stays healthy and the Giants find some common ground on payola, while Randle impresses.

I'm not sure they'll let Nicks walk per se... they'll make him a fair offer like they did with Cruz... and if he chooses to walk.. so be it. Good luck playing in Oakland.

hopefully no dirty safeties will step on his foot as he's lighting them up for 199 yards, otherwise i'm sure he'll play just about every game of the season like he did all his other years

Still think there's a bit of a cavalier attitude on this board about getting Nicks resigned. He's HUGELY important to making this offense go! Do not for a second assume that Randle develops into as good a receiver as Nicks. I'd love it to happen but guys like Nicks just don't come along every day. Fortunately, I think the Giants know this and will find a way to get it done. Wrap up Nicks and Cruz to go along with Wilson, while Eli hits his prime years......there's another Super Bowl trophy in there somewhere!

Still think there's a bit of a cavalier attitude on this board about getting Nicks resigned. He's HUGELY important to making this offense go! Do not for a second assume that Randle develops into as good a receiver as Nicks. I'd love it to happen but guys like Nicks just don't come along every day. Fortunately, I think the Giants know this and will find a way to get it done. Wrap up Nicks and Cruz to go along with Wilson, while Eli hits his prime years......there's another Super Bowl trophy in there somewhere!

I don't think there's a cavalier attitude at all. I know Nicks is important and what I said was the Giants will assign him a fair value much like they did with Cruz. He's important indeed... but he's not Calvin Johnson either. I understand it's a business but I'm not a fan of going to the highest bidder either... I look at other things besides "salary"... Right now we have Nicks signed for this season... the Giants tried to start the conversation with his agent and it went nowhere because Nicks knows his #s aren't where they should be given his asking price... so he's playing one more year trying to prove something... Great.. for both sides.