SportsWrath

cruz and giants reach deal

Herc

http://espn.go.com/n...e-training-camp

Sources: Victor Cruz staying a Giant

Updated: July 1, 2013, 7:22 PM ETBy Chris Mortensen | ESPN

The New York Giants and wide receiver Victor Cruz will have a long-term contract done before the start of training camp, according to team and league sources.

Parameters are in place but remaining details, including contract language, need to be finalized; sources say no obstacles are expected.

Cruz signed his first-round restricted free-agent tender worth $2.879 million earlier this month, after months of stalled negotiations over a long-term extension.

Cruz, 26, is coming off two productive seasons with a total of 168 catches for 2,628 yards and 19 touchdowns. But the two sides have been unable to reach an extension, which had kept him away from any of the team's offseason functions.

Glad to move on from the story, that much is for certain. I have a feeling locking up Nicks will be more difficult. I get the feeling he's going to roll the dice, hope for a successful season without injury, and have the league interested in signing him...not simply the Giants. If he has a healthy, productive season...be prepared to lose him and have Randel take his place.

Glad to move on from the story, that much is for certain. I have a feeling locking up Nicks will be more difficult. I get the feeling he's going to roll the dice, hope for a successful season without injury, and have the league interested in signing him...not simply the Giants. If he has a healthy, productive season...be prepared to lose him and have Randel take his place.

Which is fine by me... We can't be paying that much for WRs anyway... let's see what Cruz can do and how this season goes... if Nicks wants to test the FA market, so be it... it's not like the Giants won't offer him a very good deal... but greed can be a bitch... so good luck making $2M a year more on a team that goes 5-11... and your #s suck because your QB is Sanchez-like.

i think we should wait and see what the giants offer him and how he responds before assuming the worst about somebody

It's not a mere assumption, Herc. He has said things that lead be to believe that's what he wants...

Which is fine by me... We can't be paying that much for WRs anyway... let's see what Cruz can do and how this season goes... if Nicks wants to test the FA market, so be it... it's not like the Giants won't offer him a very good deal... but greed can be a bitch... so good luck making $2M a year more on a team that goes 5-11... and your #s suck because your QB is Sanchez-like.

It's fine by me, too...but wouldn't it be awesome to lock up Nicks, Cruz, and have Randle for the rest of Manning's career, just to see what can happen? I would hope that is what the Giants are thinking, too....

Offensively, aside from the line, I think we're good for the rest of Manning's career. Wilson in the backfield with Cruz and Randel at least for the next 3 I think. I'd like to see some more attention to the defense so that Manning doesn't have to carry the team for the next 5 years. A little less reliance on Manning could ease the transition for when he decides to hang em' up.

Let's see what the contract is... I'm sure we're looking at a contract a little north of $8 mil per for Cruz. Nicks, whether or not he has an injury free season, is going to cost some money. He is a known commodity. Short of a major ligament injury, he will likely be looking at $9 mil plus average, and that's on the low side.

If you are going to tie up $17 mil in cap space minimum on 2 receivers, and you have a QB making $17-18 mil per year after bonus money is factored in... that's a lot of money against the cap for 3 players. And keep in mind a new JPP deal is looming.

Hand-wringing about these contracts are premature. I just hope that the Giants keep Nicks, because I think he's a special player. I like Randle, too, but I definitely don't want to see Nicks wear another uniform.

Let's see what the contract is... I'm sure we're looking at a contract a little north of $8 mil per for Cruz. Nicks, whether or not he has an injury free season, is going to cost some money. He is a known commodity. Short of a major ligament injury, he will likely be looking at $9 mil plus average, and that's on the low side.

If you are going to tie up $17 mil in cap space minimum on 2 receivers, and you have a QB making $17-18 mil per year after bonus money is factored in... that's a lot of money against the cap for 3 players. And keep in mind a new JPP deal is looming.

Hand-wringing about these contracts are premature. I just hope that the Giants keep Nicks, because I think he's a special player. I like Randle, too, but I definitely don't want to see Nicks wear another uniform.

great points. i like randle too but this talk of him replacing nicks is waaaay premature. this isn't just an average x-receiver we're talking about.

It's fine by me, too...but wouldn't it be awesome to lock up Nicks, Cruz, and have Randle for the rest of Manning's career, just to see what can happen? I would hope that is what the Giants are thinking, too....

It would be great of course... but on the other hand how long can we go when the highest paid player on the Defensive side of the ball outside of Rolle (who I think is overpaid) is Justin Tuck who makes under $5M I think... Having a great offense is awesome.. but a shit a defense sucks more.

great points. i like randle too but this talk of him replacing nicks is waaaay premature. this isn't just an average x-receiver we're talking about.

My worry is that Nicks being the "X" will want more than Cruz and price himself out of NY . We will not have that kind of money next year to keep Nicks unless we cut a player or players with a high contract to shuffle the money to Nicks (Baas,Diehl, Snee etc.) Also on that note Tuck is due up for a new contract at the end of this season as well.... If he plays this year like he did last year I would question offering Tuck a new contract.

My worry is that Nicks being the "X" will want more than Cruz and price himself out of NY . We will not have that kind of money next year to keep Nicks unless we cut a player or players with a high contract to shuffle the money to Nicks (Baas,Diehl, Snee etc.) Also on that note Tuck is due up for a new contract at the end of this season as well.... If he plays this year like he did last year I would question offering Tuck a new contract.

i'm worried about it too. if cruz got 8 or 9 i'm scared to even wonder what nicks' agents asked for. if nicks goes and signs somewhere else because we didn't have 10 mil to give to him then i'll be pretty annoyed at this cruz signing.

rolle will be cut or take a paycut next offseason and like you said there will be other reshuffling done like there always is. i don't have a problem with committing a large portion of our cap room to a qb and 2 wr's the way the NFL is played in 2013 though. we can definitely make do with cheap players at TE and RB

I'm not worried about Tuck.. nor next year's cap. So many things can happen during the season and just like Cruz we will see some drama and at the end of he day the chips will fall... Besides, Cruz's #s are better than Nicks... I'm not too hung up on who's the X and who's the slot... I wish Cruz didn't push it like he did but hey... I'm not that ticked off at him (not that he cares lol).... We'll see the #s at the end of the year and Nicks will be given a price tag accordingly.

Good. We have our slot position covered for the foreseeable future. I hope Nicks is pissed off and motivated that he's still waiting on a deal. Hopefully he comes out hungry and plays with a chip on his shoulder. Whether Hakeem stays here longterm or not we still have Cruz, Nicks, and Randle together for another year so I'm not going to worry about the contract situations until it's absolutely necessary.