SportsWrath

Cruz

Bigblue25

The battle's not over.

"On Monday, the Giants would have had the ability on that day - and that day only - to rescind receiver Victor Cruz’s one-year, $2.879 million restricted free agency tender and replace it with a one-year offer in the amount of $590,000.

Despite the absence of any indication that the team planned to inflame the situation by dropping Cruz’s one-year pay by more than $2 million, Cruz is taking no chances.

Per Josina Anderson of ESPN, Cruz will sign his tender today. Cruz told Anderson that talks on a long-term deal will continue between now and the start of training camp.

While Cruz will be under contract once he signs, it's impossible to rule out a training-camp holdout absent a multi-year contract. Even though the daily fines have gotten much more expensive under the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement, it will be far cheaper in the long run for Cruz to hold out and incur fines while under contract at $2.879 million than to risk losing more than $2 million in potential earnings by not signing the tender before Monday.

So, while Cruz has blinked for now, he could still draw a line in the sand when it’s time to go to camp". (PFT)

Just saw this on ESPN. Glad to hear that he'll report like we all figured he would. Hopefully the long term deal gets done and the whole situation can be put behind him.

Thing is, the closer he gets to being an UFA, the more leverage he'll have...unless he gets hurt.

What changes him from a RFA to a UFA. Certain amount of years correct?

Yes. I'm not up on all the rules, but in a nutshell, that is what it comes down to, years of service. I don't think he will hold out into the season, if he does at all. And if he doesn't sign, and just plays this season at the tender, I think we're more than ok. I like the horses in the stable, even beyond Cruz.

What changes him from a RFA to a UFA. Certain amount of years correct?

Unrestricted means they can sign anywhere, restricted means, we set a price for another team to sign him. Both Cruz and Nicks, will be UFA's at the end of the year, unless a long term deal gets done, my guess is both of them will test the open market

Unrestricted means they can sign anywhere, restricted means, we set a price for another team to sign him. Both Cruz and Nicks, will be UFA's at the end of the year, unless a long term deal gets done, my guess is both of them will test the open market

I don't know...everything I've read is that the Giants are looking to lock up both. I think one of the huge selling points is the other player. Cruz playing opposite Nicks and vice versa. Cruz is not a #1 and Nicks can't stay on the field. If Nicks gets hurt this year, I can't help but think that the Giants will let him test FA, making him a fair, reasonable offer which would have health incentives built it, that if achieved, would make him a 9-10 mil/year guy. For Cruz, I have to think the Giants have to stick to their guns now that they've established themselves in the 'Cruz is a slot WR' camp. I don't see Cruz earning more than 7-8 mil/year early in his deal and mid 9's by the end of it. There was an article I read this morning that suggested a shorter term deal for Cruz in the neighborhood of 3 years, allowing him to hit UFA again at only age 29 (at which time I see the Giants letting him walk).

A 4-5 year deal for Nicks at 8-10 mil/year with health incentives. A 3 year deal for Cruz with the plan to let him walk at the end of it. Front load Cruz as much as possible. Back load Nicks.

I think $8 mil is a lot. When we're talking cap. I don't think a deal gets done at $7 mil. I think at $8 mil, there's a small chance that Cruz will sign to mitigate risk. If he plays out this year at the tender though, and becomes a UFA, then goodbye Cruz. He'll get paid $10 mil+ from somebody, and the Giants simply aren't going to go that far. My main concern is keeping Nicks happy.

I think the Giants hold all the cards and aren't going to budge. Cruz needs NYC a lot worse than the Giants need Cruz....especially with all his off-field ventures that will net far more than playing football. Plus, with Randle looking really sharp this year, and Murphy looking good...and even Collins is impressing....it's not like the Giants don't have options. And to break the bank to keep Cruz happy means cutting costs elsewhere which in turn, hurts the Giants more to sign him than to let him walk.

I think $8 mil is a lot. When we're talking cap. I don't think a deal gets done at $7 mil. I think at $8 mil, there's a small chance that Cruz will sign to mitigate risk. If he plays out this year at the tender though, and becomes a UFA, then goodbye Cruz. He'll get paid $10 mil+ from somebody, and the Giants simply aren't going to go that far. My main concern is keeping Nicks happy.

Unless Cruz gets injured this year playing on the tender...

I think he's worth an average of 8/year. I have to believe that if both our WRs hit UFA next year, we'll definitely lose 1, if not both.

At what point do you quietly wish for a non-career threatening injury to your own guys to keep their cost down?

It's really hard to tell the situation with both of them, to be honest.

Cruz has been an awesome big-play guy and Nicks had a terrific postseason run two years ago. On the other hand, Cruz came back down to Earth last year and had some horrific drops, and Nicks was hobbled for the entire season.

Add onto the fact that Eli seems to make every receiver look better than they really are and things get even more confusing. How did Steve Smith and Mario Manningham do once they left?

This year looks to be a measuring stick for both of them, but I think we only keep one. If Randle steps up and we end up having another guy play well, we may not keep either of them.

In all fairness though Smith was very hurt and Manningham basically did the same with the 49ers before his injury. I do think Eli makes WRs look good but talent is still necessary. Having to replace a #1 and #2 will be a big hit.

I can't believe the level of greed some players have... 2 years ago this guy would play for minimum wage and now he thinks he's #1? Fuck him... the Giants offered $8M from what I understand and it's not enough? really? another million more basically means half a mill after taxes... jerk.

One thing I like about the Giants, is they don't panic and if they put an offer on the table, they have figured out what they can afford without jeopardizing the rest of the team. They will let Cruz walk if he wants to play hardball. They could also give him what he wants, and trade him for a no.1 draft pick and let some other team pay his high salary.

As far as I'm concerned, the only player on the Giants that is irreplaceable, is Eli. After that, the rest of the players can be replaced.

Cruz is the one facing the biggest risk in this standoff. If he loses the NYC market, he's left with playing football and little else...which may not be a bad thing. Even if he signs, he's burned through a lot of goodwill from the fan base and that has lasting implications.

There's this notion that Cruz needs the NYC market. That's just not true. If you're a star, you're a star anywhere, and the media will come to you. Michael Jordan suffer because he didn't play in NY? Did Shaq, who earned millions upon millions in endorsements in Orlando (plus no state income tax in Florida). Is Cam Newton suffering a lack of endorsements? What about Peyton Manning? Brett Favre? Ok, you say, you're citing non-football examples and the football examples are all QB's...

Jerry Rice makes millions in endorsements... STILL.

Marshall Faulk made a lot of money in endorsements. Larry Fitzgerald gets nice coin in endorsements. Adrian Peterson.

But none of those guys have what Victor has... he's maybe the ONLY big Latin star in the NFL, particularly at the glamorous WR position. That alone makes him hugely marketable and popular. The entire country loves the salsa he does when he scores, and even NBC is playing salsa music when he's dancing. He also has a infectious, big smile.

You're also ignoring that the NY market has TWO teams. How much would the Jets love to drop a bunch of money in Victor's lap, how big would that be for them? Just jersey sales?

Can Victor make a lot of money because a lot of movers and shakers are in NY? And he can hit the Letterman show or the Today Show on a Monday after a big game or something? Yeah... and that's valuable. But by no means is his star going to wane if he goes somewhere else as a UFA... especially if he's picking his spot and ensures he still lands with a team with the right QB.

I think Victor wants to stay in NY. I think he loves being the hometown kid in the big city hobnobbing with big stars and all. But if Victor has a chance to take a $55 million dollar contract over 5 years with any number of a handful of teams over a $40 million dollar one with the Giants... goodbye Victor. Plus, he's making all that big endorsement money RIGHT NOW. And if he leaves, and he continues to produce, all those endorsements will follow him to his new team. Did DirecTV drop Peyton because he went from the Colts to the Broncos? It's not going to matter. Campbell's Soup doesn't care what color helmet he's wearing. Dancing With The Stars won't care, either... and he can just write that ticket whenever he's ready and they will jump at the chance.

Victor Cruz is worth more as a transcendental sports star on advertisements and TV than he is on the football field. He just has to stay on the football field to continue to be that transcendental sports star for those advertisements and TV shows. Doesn't really matter where the football field is located.

There's this notion that Cruz needs the NYC market. That's just not true. If you're a star, you're a star anywhere, and the media will come to you. Michael Jordan suffer because he didn't play in NY? Did Shaq, who earned millions upon millions in endorsements in Orlando (plus no state income tax in Florida). Is Cam Newton suffering a lack of endorsements? What about Peyton Manning? Brett Favre? Ok, you say, you're citing non-football examples and the football examples are all QB's...

Marshall Faulk made a lot of money in endorsements. Larry Fitzgerald gets nice coin in endorsements. Adrian Peterson.

But none of those guys have what Victor has... he's maybe the ONLY big Latin star in the NFL, particularly at the glamorous WR position. That alone makes him hugely marketable and popular. The entire country loves the salsa he does when he scores, and even NBC is playing salsa music when he's dancing. He also has a infectious, big smile.

You're also ignoring that the NY market has TWO teams. How much would the Jets love to drop a bunch of money in Victor's lap, how big would that be for them? Just jersey sales?

Can Victor make a lot of money because a lot of movers and shakers are in NY? And he can hit the Letterman show or the Today Show on a Monday after a big game or something? Yeah... and that's valuable. But by no means is his star going to wane if he goes somewhere else as a UFA... especially if he's picking his spot and ensures he still lands with a team with the right QB.

I think Victor wants to stay in NY. I think he loves being the hometown kid in the big city hobnobbing with big stars and all. But if Victor has a chance to take a $55 million dollar contract over 5 years with any number of a handful of teams over a $40 million dollar one with the Giants... goodbye Victor. Plus, he's making all that big endorsement money RIGHT NOW. And if he leaves, and he continues to produce, all those endorsements will follow him to his new team. Did DirecTV drop Peyton because he went from the Colts to the Broncos? It's not going to matter. Campbell's Soup doesn't care what color helmet he's wearing. Dancing With The Stars won't care, either... and he can just write that ticket whenever he's ready and they will jump at the chance.

Victor Cruz is worth more as a transcendental sports star on advertisements and TV than he is on the football field. He just has to stay on the football field to continue to be that transcendental sports star for those advertisements and TV shows. Doesn't really matter where the football field is located.

Dis guy right here, he gets it.

Plus I'll say, I don't blame Cruz for trying to chase the money right now. He was a practice squad player making practice squad pay, who brust onto the scene and into popularity in one season of play. Like Jim said the guy is marketable and popular anywhere he goes (if he goes) every single person well maybe besides 'Boys, Skins and Eagles fans love him and he's a easily likeable guy. I can see how Cruz as a nobody WR turning into the "Latin King" of NY is just trying to cash in on his fame like EVERY single NFL player does hell even Eli's watch commercials are still running and just look at how many fucking Robert the Third commercials are on ESPN, etc. He now has everything in the world at his fingertips and like most in his situation he just wants more.

Now I'm not saying I like what he is doing, being offered upwards of 7 million a year for extended years and turning it down but Cruz will be Cruz where ever he goes and the money will follow him, he's just looking for that big (or bigger) pay day.

And you know what Rice, Faulk, Fitzgerald & AP have in common? They would have made even MORE in NYC. More opportunities, bigger bucks for local endorsements.....and Madison Ave is right across the river. If they want a national commercial or promotional spot done on short notice, it's a lot easier to send a crew to the Meadowlands than Minnesota. There's also the out of sight, out of mind thing. I think I've seen more Cruz than Fitzgerald and much as i love Victor, he ain't Fitz, at least not yet and maybe not ever....but I bet he made more in endorsements the last few years.

Of course the cost of living and taxes are higher in NYC than many places (though California isn't one of them!), so that does balance things a bit.

The even more compelling reason to stay with the Giants has been mentioned above: Eli and the Giant offensive scheme is a Godsend for receivers! Cruz could go elsewhere and become just another guy. Finally, EVERYONE seems to say the Giants are one of the best, classiest franchises in the NFL. It's a great place to play. Add all that up and while it's not ironclad, there are some pretty good reasons for Victor to prefer staying in NY. Not that he'd go broke elsewhere but all things considered, NY is where he stands to do best, on and off the field.

I'm curious... now that VC has signed the tender, can the Giants now withdraw their $8M/Yr offer? The reason is I'm at the point where I think VC for as good as he's been has really ticked a few fans off... let alone the FO... What's to stop the Giants from doing so if they choose to? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, just curious if it's possible.

I'm curious... now that VC has signed the tender, can the Giants now withdraw their $8M/Yr offer? The reason is I'm at the point where I think VC for as good as he's been has really ticked a few fans off... let alone the FO... What's to stop the Giants from doing so if they choose to? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, just curious if it's possible.

I think the Giant's could always withdraw the offer and with Cruz signing the tender I'm sure that it already is.

I'm with you though Nas, I think Cruz is going to test the FA waters and I guarantee you some team is going to throw more money at him then the Giants. He can get plenty of money elsewhere with marketing deals and I'm sure the Giants are more then happy to use the 8 million a year for other players or even give it to Nicks.