SportsWrath

Cruz

Bigblue25

I'm curious... now that VC has signed the tender, can the Giants now withdraw their $8M/Yr offer? The reason is I'm at the point where I think VC for as good as he's been has really ticked a few fans off... let alone the FO... What's to stop the Giants from doing so if they choose to? I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, just curious if it's possible.

They can't withdraw the tender (2.875 million or something like that), the 8 mill a year is simply a negotiation in process. That can be withdrawn at any time. In fact, if the Giants simply walked away from the table, I have a hunch Cruz would fold like a cheap suit and get ink on the paper.

Cruz more than likely wants to sign a long term deal (with a large number guaranteed) before the season starts. He's taking a chance by holding out. He might get 10-11 million a year next year with another team. However, a broken leg, torn ACK, and a hundred other injuries that come with the game of football and he'd be looking at 1-yr deals similar to what Smith got when he left. It's in his best interest to get the long term deal done before season starts. And if the Giants are tired of his game, they could sign him for 10 mill a year for 4 years, then turn around and trade him to Detroit or Arizona for a first round pick.

The way it's going, when the dust settles I think we'll only end up keeping one of the Nicks/Cruz tandem out of sheer cap trouble.

I think the Giant's could always withdraw the offer and with Cruz signing the tender I'm sure that it already is.

I'm with you though Nas, I think Cruz is going to test the FA waters and I guarantee you some team is going to throw more money at him then the Giants. He can get plenty of money elsewhere with marketing deals and I'm sure the Giants are more then happy to use the 8 million a year for other players or even give it to Nicks.

That's the thing.. when he finally signed the tender he indicated that the negotiation for a long term contract continues... makes me wonder wtf does he or his agent they think they can get now that they couldn't get over the past months? At this point I have no problem with the Giants saying they would like to talk new contract next year when he's a FA... the way I see it.. the Giants save $5M now... and then add it to his $8M.. giving him $9M a year... so we can get 4 years for $30M.. basically at an average salary for $7.5M/year.... and Cruz would look like an ass.

As a matter of fact the Giants would be stupid to give him a long term contract now.. why risk it? He may suffer an injury like SS did and they're on the hook for the guaranteed part. Enjoy the spotlight Cruz.... lol

That's the thing.. when he finally signed the tender he indicated that the negotiation for a long term contract continues... makes me wonder wtf does he or his agent they think they can get now that they couldn't get over the past months? At this point I have no problem with the Giants saying they would like to talk new contract next year when he's a FA... the way I see it.. the Giants save $5M now... and then add it to his $8M.. giving him $9M a year... so we can get 4 years for $30M.. basically at an average salary for $7.5M/year.... and Cruz would look like an ass.

As a matter of fact the Giants would be stupid to give him a long term contract now.. why risk it? He may suffer an injury like SS did and they're on the hook for the guaranteed part. Enjoy the spotlight Cruz.... lol

It's in the best interest of the Giants to get him signed to a long term contract as it is for Cruz. The team needs Cruz and vice-versa (IMO). But the Giants aren't fools. They are not going to overpay for a slot receiver and then get bent over by Nicks who will want more (and deserve more) than Cruz. The Giants will hold their ground or let him walk because they won't put themselves in cap hell.

It's in the best interest of the Giants to get him signed to a long term contract as it is for Cruz. The team needs Cruz and vice-versa (IMO). But the Giants aren't fools. They are not going to overpay for a slot receiver and then get bent over by Nicks who will want more (and deserve more) than Cruz. The Giants will hold their ground or let him walk because they won't put themselves in cap hell.

True... but my math stands. By signing the tender now, Cruz losses on $5M this year... so if the Giants give him $9M for a three year contract next year essentially the Giants get 4 years out of Cruz for $30M... as in $7.5M per year... basic math that he nor his agent seem to comprehend.

i agree this is very risky for him. slot's a dangerous position and he took some serious licks last season--some of which i couldn't believe he got up from. eventually you stop getting up and miss the rest of the game and more. for this reason i do think he'll take the offer before the season starts

There's this notion that Cruz needs the NYC market. That's just not true. If you're a star, you're a star anywhere, and the media will come to you. Michael Jordan suffer because he didn't play in NY? Did Shaq, who earned millions upon millions in endorsements in Orlando (plus no state income tax in Florida). Is Cam Newton suffering a lack of endorsements? What about Peyton Manning? Brett Favre? Ok, you say, you're citing non-football examples and the football examples are all QB's...

Jerry Rice makes millions in endorsements... STILL.

Marshall Faulk made a lot of money in endorsements. Larry Fitzgerald gets nice coin in endorsements. Adrian Peterson.

But none of those guys have what Victor has... he's maybe the ONLY big Latin star in the NFL, particularly at the glamorous WR position. That alone makes him hugely marketable and popular. The entire country loves the salsa he does when he scores, and even NBC is playing salsa music when he's dancing. He also has a infectious, big smile.

You're also ignoring that the NY market has TWO teams. How much would the Jets love to drop a bunch of money in Victor's lap, how big would that be for them? Just jersey sales?

Can Victor make a lot of money because a lot of movers and shakers are in NY? And he can hit the Letterman show or the Today Show on a Monday after a big game or something? Yeah... and that's valuable. But by no means is his star going to wane if he goes somewhere else as a UFA... especially if he's picking his spot and ensures he still lands with a team with the right QB.

I think Victor wants to stay in NY. I think he loves being the hometown kid in the big city hobnobbing with big stars and all. But if Victor has a chance to take a $55 million dollar contract over 5 years with any number of a handful of teams over a $40 million dollar one with the Giants... goodbye Victor. Plus, he's making all that big endorsement money RIGHT NOW. And if he leaves, and he continues to produce, all those endorsements will follow him to his new team. Did DirecTV drop Peyton because he went from the Colts to the Broncos? It's not going to matter. Campbell's Soup doesn't care what color helmet he's wearing. Dancing With The Stars won't care, either... and he can just write that ticket whenever he's ready and they will jump at the chance.

Victor Cruz is worth more as a transcendental sports star on advertisements and TV than he is on the football field. He just has to stay on the football field to continue to be that transcendental sports star for those advertisements and TV shows. Doesn't really matter where the football field is located.

Benefit from, not "need". How much side money would Larry Fitzgerald be making in NY compared to Az? What are his national campaigns? Why does Cruz get Campbell's Chunky Soup and not Larry?

The argument is that an $8 mil/year contract in NY > $10 mil/year in Buttholeville (no offense to our Az residents).

Here is an NFL's Agent's take on CRUZ

NFL agent: Cruz’s only option to sign Giants' long-term offer

• By PAUL SCHWARTZ
  • Last Updated: 11:37 AM, June 18, 2013
  • Posted: 2:18 AM, June 18, 2013
  • Giants Blog

Victor Cruz has no choice between now and training camp but to sign the multi-year offer the Giants weeks ago put on the table, because playing for less than $3 million for this season makes absolutely no sense.

So says a prominent NFL player agent who has done many lucrative deals throughout the league.

“I don’t see how he can’t [sign the deal] now, I don’t understand it, it’s just logic,’’ said the agent, who asked not to be identified.

Cruz walked into the Giants’ facility Friday and signed the one-year tender that will pay him $2.879 million for the 2013 season. Both the Giants and Cruz hope a long-term deal can be finalized before the July 26 reporting date for training camp, but for that to happen, Cruz is going to have to accept he will not be earning what he believes is his market value.

“I don’t see any scenario where he gets any more money than they have on the table right now,’’ the agent said, “unless out of the goodness of their heart they decide to throw him a couple extra million.

“If you’re Victor Cruz, you’re never getting paid by the Giants, ever. They’ve never had an $11 million receiver, you’re not gonna be it. They had every opportunity to lock you up — they’ve given you exactly what they feel you’re worth.You can disagree until the cows come home, it does not matter. And now you’re going to go out there and help make them better, which is going to make them stronger. If you can live with that, then that’s what you should do.’’

Cruz eyed a deal that averaged at least $10 million per year and the Giants countered with a contract that would pay him more than $7 million per year. It is believed the Giants are offering $12-15 million in guaranteed money and Cruz is seeking $15-18 million in guaranteed money.

If Cruz did not sign the tender he could have held out of training camp with no repercussions, as the Giants could not fine him because he would not have had a contract. That leverage is now gone for Cruz, who would incur fines of $30,000 for every day he held out of training camp.

“You look weak,’’ the agent said. “ ‘I want a long-term deal and I’m not going to play unless you give me one,’ and then I sign, which takes my leverage away from getting a long-term deal. There are some players who will come in and say, ‘I trust the team and hopefully they do the right thing,’ which is basically what Cruz is doing.’’

The Giants can prevent Cruz from hitting the open market until the 2015 season, as after this season they can designate him a franchise player, which would pay Cruz $10.5 million for the 2014 season. In that scenario, he would play the next two years for slightly more than $13 million, considerably less than what Cruz believes is his market value.

“This year doesn’t help him at all,’’ the agent said. “What’s Cruz going to do this year other than become overexposed? He could go out there and have 100 receptions for 1,300 yards and 12 touchdowns and be the hottest thing on the market next year and then they’ll just franchise him. That’s all he’s playing for.’’

Taking out a disability insurance policy for the season would not help Cruz, as the payoff is based only on a career-ending injuryand not income replacement.

If Cruz did not sign the tender, he could have sat out the season and then hit the open market, but would have burned his bridges with the Giants. Clearly, he wants to stay and get paid, and that desire likely will lead him to relent and accept the standing offer.

paul.schwartz@nypost.com