SportsWrath

Urlacher

Nas

I know he's past his prime... but I'd still consider signing him... $3.5M for one year seems reasonable to me... what do you guys think?

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9076999/chicago-bears-moving-forward-brian-urlacher

The Chicago Bears are moving forward without Brian Urlacher after the two sides were unable to reach an agreement on a free-agent deal, the team announced Wednesday.

More from ESPN.com

greenberg_jon_m.jpgBrian Urlacher deserved a better exit after a 13-year run in Chicago, but there isn't much time for nostalgia in the NFL, writes Jon Greenberg. Story

seifert_kevin_m.jpgThis was the right time for the Bears to part ways with Brian Urlacher. The only surprising thing was that it took so long, writes Kevin Seifert. Blog

Poll: Can LB still make difference?

Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune that he originally sought a two-year deal worth $11.5 million with hopes that it would lead to negotiations.

But the Bears' only offer to the star linebacker was a one-year contract worth $2 million, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"It wasn't even an offer; it was an ultimatum," Urlacher told the Tribune. "I feel like I'm a decent player still. It was insulting, somewhat of a slap in the face."

Urlacher countered with a one-year, $3.5 million offer with incentives that would have allowed him to make an additional $500,000, league sources told ESPN's Ed Werder. But Chicago never budged.

I think 1 year, $2 million seemed about right for an aging, no-longer-in-his-prime MLB

Do we have anyone on the roster who's better than him at this point?

I'm always reminded of London Fletcher too.

Do we have anyone on the roster who's better than him at this point?

I'm always reminded of London Fletcher too.

Depends upon whether you're still thinking of Urlacher in his prime, to which I'd answer, of course we don't. If you're thinking about the guy who's lost a step, and will likely lose another going into this season, and comparing THAT guy to those we have on the roster who may take a step up this year...I'd sooner take the risk on the younger guys we have.

If it were just his age it would be a lot easier to make the decision for a short term deal, but he's also coming off a major knee injury.

However, I'm expecting Reese to once again neglect the LB position in the draft, which might change my opinion on Urlacher.

A 70% Urlacher might be better than what the Giants have after the draft.....in his prime his production was off the charts. And, he's coming from a Lovie Smith defense, which is very similar to what Fewell does.

If it were just his age it would be a lot easier to make the decision for a short term deal, but he's also coming off a major knee injury.

However, I'm expecting Reese to once again neglect the LB position in the draft, which might change my opinion on Urlacher.

A 70% Urlacher might be better than what the Giants have after the draft.....in his prime his production was off the charts. And, he's coming from a Lovie Smith defense, which is very similar to what Fewell does.

Agreed he was more than a step slow last year with that knee....I would hope another year of recovery might help with some of that...the other issue with him as been...if he doesnt' have two space eaters infront of him to keep him clean...he all but disappears...even when he was arguably the second best MLB in football....

C. Wagon

Agreed he was more than a step slow last year with that knee....I would hope another year of recovery might help with some of that...the other issue with him as been...if he doesnt' have two space eaters infront of him to keep him clean...he all but disappears...even when he was arguably the second best MLB in football....

C. Wagon

No. Unless he decides he wants to play for $1mil.

Yeah, I'd have no issue with Reese kicking the tires, but not until after the draft.

The Bears didn't handle this well....they pretty much cut the guy....there was no offer on the table from what I'm hearing in the papers.

Yeah, I'd have no issue with Reese kicking the tires, but not until after the draft.

The Bears didn't handle this well....they pretty much cut the guy....there was no offer on the table from what I'm hearing in the papers.

I heard Urlacher on a telephone interview this morning saying the deal they offered him in Phoenix was 1 year for 2 mill. He said he wouldn't put his body through another season at that price and that their offer was a slap in the face. I don't think he'll get much more than that in today's NFL at his age and wear factors.

I think 1 year, $2 million seemed about right for an aging, no-longer-in-his-prime MLB

Dan Connor is better than Urlacher at this point. And you guys know how I feel about Dan Connor.

I heard Urlacher on a telephone interview this morning saying the deal they offered him in Phoenix was 1 year for 2 mill. He said he wouldn't put his body through another season at that price and that their offer was a slap in the face. I don't think he'll get much more than that in today's NFL at his age and wear factors.

I would literally act as Jason Pierre-Paul's tackle dummy for 1 year at $2 mil.

Because when a linebacker is on a wide receiver, it's a complete miss match?

Not for urlacher is his prime. Ours Lbs cant even cover a car with a tarp. My point is him in his downward play is better then any of our current options.

I'm not spending that type of money on a guy who's clearly past it when I have a guy on the offensive line not signed yet.

We can do both Boohyah.... I think we can squeeze him in for $2.5M plus some kind of incentives that would bring up to $3M... his leadership alone is worth that $2M... remember that's what our defense is missing more than anything... a deal like that is low risk high reward... and yes Boothe will be signed... no doubt in my mind.