SportsWrath

Eli willing to restructure to keep Cruz.

Lughead

The issue isn't so much cap room as much as what the player thinks he's worth vs what the organization is willing to offer... $6M per year is a lot... and the Giants offered more than that already... The FO is office.. why risk fucking up future years cap-wise now?

restructuring sucks balls.. how about a pay cut??.. LOL..

watch some of these top QB's who get paid the highest salary (aka Flacco).. they should take pay cuts so teams can make the right calls to get the right guys..

If you're getting paid 130Million but the team don't have the cash to pay linemens to protect ya ass.. wouldn't you take a pay cut to get a couple of stud linemens so you can play out the contract and retired an HOF QB??..

Cruz would be foolish to leave New York and Eli ...........He is going to make millions and millions of dollars if he stays put ..............he might be the next Steve Smith or Mario Manningham if he departs. The Giants have made him a fair offer .....he is no fool ......im sure he will remain a Giant. ( these things just take time )

watch some of these top QB's who get paid the highest salary (aka Flacco).. they should take pay cuts so teams can make the right calls to get the right guys..

If you're getting paid 130Million but the team don't have the cash to pay linemens to protect ya ass.. wouldn't you take a pay cut to get a couple of stud linemens so you can play out the contract and retired an HOF QB??..

Agreed. I'm amazed at the level of greed some of these players show.. Eli included.. I mean shit.. does it really matter if you're making $20M or $15M anymore? more than half of the difference goes to taxes anyway.

The issue isn't so much cap room as much as what the player thinks he's worth vs what the organization is willing to offer... $6M per year is a lot... and the Giants offered more than that already... The FO is office.. why risk fucking up future years cap-wise now?

100% agreed.

Our cap situation isn't the worst.

Giants simply doing what they do and sticking to there values. They obviously don't value Cruz as an elite WR or else they'd pay him similar to one.

Giants are trying to make him the richest slot WR in the Nfl not named Harvin. Cruz thinks he's worth #1 money.

At the end of the day, Cruz an Nicks will get similar $. Unless nicks makes it to UFA after a healthy year, then they won't be comparable.

would've been nice if he offered to restructure before free agency started...

For real, instead of when it was completely useless to do so. They are able to sign with or without Manning restructuring so it's not like this makes a difference, lol. In fact, NOT restructuring him for this year probably helps us out a lot next year.

You can't keep restructuring his contract every year. You'll end up in salary cap hell if you keep doing it. Didn't any of you read John Mara's comments on the subject? Jesus Christ.

If anything, an extension would be the logical way to go.

You can't keep restructuring his contract every year. You'll end up in salary cap hell if you keep doing it. Didn't any of you read John Mara's comments on the subject? Jesus Christ.

If anything, an extension would be the logical way to go.

This.

Nas, I agree. The Giants need to put a value on a guy within their cap structure and that's that. The fact that Eli does this now, does not fix the impending reason for not throwing the bank at Cruz, and that's Nicks. Honestly, when I heard this I thought it was very dumb of Eli to do so.

I highly doubt the Giants restructure a deal. That would raise his cap hit to above $20m for the next two seasons after this year. The more likely scenario is Eli adding years onto his deal, even if they are voidable. This could spread his cap hit over more years and free up some space.

But whether it happens or not, you gotta love Eli for being so willing give himself a paycut to help retain a teammate. Such a team player.

That would be huge

Something like 5 years $45 million.

That's a steal for Nicks

Anything under $10m a year would be a steal for Nicks. That's why I think they need to get a deal done with him now. His value is as low as it has been for his entire career.

But whether it happens or not, you gotta love Eli for being so willing give himself a paycut to help retain a teammate. Such a team player.

Anything under $10m a year would be a steal for Nicks. That's why I think they need to get a deal done with him now. His value is as low as it has been for his entire career.

Yeah, I was just speaking out regarding Eli and other high paid QB. I guess extending contract adding a year would help the team greatly.

As for Nicks. Agree. His cheapest value is now. Especially during a none playoff season. Him not putting up consistent numbers that we all know he could (because of injury during mid season).

What have the Giants offered Cruz so far?

And to that effect, when is it no longer possible for Cruz to be picked up as a RFA? I mean, we are the only ones tendering him....for him it's either sign it or holdout, correct? But when is he no longer on the "open" market since we tendered him?

And to that effect, when is it no longer possible for Cruz to be picked up as a RFA? I mean, we are the only ones tendering him....for him it's either sign it or holdout, correct? But when is he no longer on the "open" market since we tendered him?

Teams have until April 19th to sign him to a offer sheet I believe.

From what I read between the lines, the Giants have offered Cruz right around $6M per and maybe would go a little higher. Best guess on length of deal is 4 years, so something like $25M over 4 and they'd have to figure out what's guaranteed/bonus Vs salary. I think Cruz went in looking for more like $35M over 4.

And on a related note, I don't see how they give Nicks the $9M per year mentioned above. I'm thinking more like $7.5M to $8M, tops, is all they'll be able to fit. If he goes pff for 85/1400/12 this year and can get $9M+ in FA, well, that's why we drafted Rueben Randle. Sucks but that's cap reality.

From what I read between the lines, the Giants have offered Cruz right around $6M per and maybe would go a little higher. Best guess on length of deal is 4 years, so something like $25M over 4 and they'd have to figure out what's guaranteed/bonus Vs salary. I think Cruz went in looking for more like $35M over 4.

And on a related note, I don't see how they give Nicks the $9M per year mentioned above. I'm thinking more like $7.5M to $8M, tops, is all they'll be able to fit. If he goes pff for 85/1400/12 this year and can get $9M+ in FA, well, that's why we drafted Rueben Randle. Sucks but that's cap reality.

I, too, don't think Nicks is worth $9M per... and I think the 7.5 to 8 is perfectly fitting.