SportsWrath

No Need To Talk Potential D. Coordinator Replacements Any Further

Mr. P

Tom Coughlin made it clear on Monday that Perry Fewell will remain the Giants’ defensive coordinator, and it turns out they won’t even have to re-sign him. Fewell was quietly given contract extension last winter, according to two league sources, as a reward for helping the Giants win Super Bowl XLVI.

This is the second contract extension for the 50-year-old Fewell, who was first given an extension in the winter of 2011 after he interviewed for several head coaching vacancies following his successful first season with the Giants. That extension would’ve taken him through the end of the 2012 season. The one he signed after the Giants won the Super Bowl last February will take him through 2013.

It's believed all the other assistants on the Giants staff were giving contract extensions after the Super Bowl, too.

Despite that bit of security, Fewell’s job certainly could’ve been in jeopardy after the Giants defense collapsed this season and finished a disappointing 31st in the NFL rankings. Asked on Monday whether Fewell would is still his defensive coordinator going forward, though, Coughlin said “He is.”

Asked if he planned any other changes to his coaching staff, Coughlin said “Not that I would have any intention of.”

With many NFL coaches being fired around the league, though, it’s possible that Fewell or offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride could get offered a job elsewhere. As of Monday afternoon, though, it did not appear that any team had asked permission to interview either of them yet.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/giants/2012/12/fewells-contract-quietly-extended-through-2013

I mean what did we expect...Coughlin is more loyal to his coaches than he is with his wife...to which he is extremely loyal. Great guy to work for I suppose...but horrible guy to have on your payroll when you need to make a change.

Easy to just put it all on Coughlin, but he's not the owner or general manager.

I really don't mind Fewell, yes, he fails to make adjustments at times. We also had guys out with injuries and players failing to execute, though. This D at it's peak was still dominate in certain games.

I tend to agree. I wish he was more aggressive and I wish he would never employ the 3 man rush ever, EVER again except maybe on a hail mary play where the offense is in TD or bust from distance.

I tend to agree. I wish he was more aggressive and I wish he would never employ the 3 man rush ever, EVER again except maybe on a hail mary play where the offense is in TD or bust from distance.

Sometimes he had no choice, I really hope we look at a LB that can cover and blitz.

I think this maybe the first time I'd disagree with Jim and BB25.. I can't stand Fewel and his bend over defense. I long for the days when we don't even allow touchdowns... give me a Fox and a Spags any day.. both did more with less... far less.

I think our defense simply underperformed. I don't know that the system needed fixing or that there were guys running free on the defense. In a lot of the drives I saw this year, it simply seemed that players got beat. Plain and simple. But, the players were there to make a play and they didn't. So, the schemes, the defensive plays...they all seemed okay. Or, at least they were okay enough not to fire the guy.

You want to get on the coaches for motivation and for getting the team fired up to play with emotion...now there's a criticism that can be applied to the whole lot of coaches. Our team looked bored this year. Bored, burnt out, and just tired. Sure, there were flashes to let the world know what they're capable of, but there just wasn't a killer instinct or any sense of excitement. But all that said, at a professional level, I can't say that that is something the coaches are 100% responsible for. At some point, to a man, you have to stand up and motivate yourself to be the best that you can be at your craft.

The same defensive front that made Fewell look like a genius in 2011 betrayed him this year.

2011 was a success because our O kept up.. .our D was never that great.. yea showing flashes here and there but overall it's the bend over mentality (bend but don't break bullshit). As I've said many times before Fox and Spags did more with far less talent than Fewel.

The same defensive front that made Fewell look like a genius in 2011 betrayed him this year.

I didn't think they looked that good in 2011. Unless the 25th ranked defense is considered "good."

A big playoff push and SB title makes a lot of people forget just how shitty they really were for the regular season.

I didn't think they looked that good in 2011. Unless the 25th ranked defense is considered "good."

A big playoff push and SB title makes a lot of people forget just how shitty they really were for the regular season.

Exactly... Gilbride does have brainfarts here and there but Fewel has them more often than not. I'm yet to have anyone disagree that Fox and Spags did more with less.

Exactly... Gilbride does have brainfarts here and there but Fewel has them more often than not. I'm yet to have anyone disagree that Fox and Spags did more with less.

Fewell's D has never finished in the top HALF of the league with the Giants and is clearly heading in the wrong direction. Why should we keep him again?

Oh yeah, because Coughlin marries his fucking coordinators and had to be threatened with his own job before he'd have the likes of Tim Lewis and Bill Sheridan fired.

Fewell's D has never finished in the top HALF of the league with the Giants and is clearly heading in the wrong direction. Why should we keep him again?

Oh yeah, because Coughlin marries his fucking coordinators and had to be threatened with his own job before he'd have the likes of Tim Lewis and Bill Sheridan fired.

This^