SportsWrath

Breaking Eagles News

Lughead

The Eagles have fired DC Juan Castillo and named Secondary coach Todd Bowels as their new DC. Is the implode about to begin? Castillo was with the Eagles for 18 years 17 as OL coach . Todd Bowls was a DC before at Miami. This may be a top down decision and Andy Reid may be feeling the pressure.

Nah, this smells of an Andy Reid attempt to save his own ass. Andy Reid decided to put an offensive coach in charge of the defense. Andy Reid said that they'll look at everything and just a day or two after backing his DC, he fires him. I think this is the beginning of the implosion. Next year, Vick will be gone. Reid will be gone. They're still in competition for the division and the playoffs, so they won't blow it all up just yet, but give them a few more weeks of turnovers and/or bad losses and see what happens.

Nah, this smells of an Andy Reid attempt to save his own ass. Andy Reid decided to put an offensive coach in charge of the defense. Andy Reid said that they'll look at everything and just a day or two after backing his DC, he fires him. I think this is the beginning of the implosion. Next year, Vick will be gone. Reid will be gone. They're still in competition for the division and the playoffs, so they won't blow it all up just yet, but give them a few more weeks of turnovers and/or bad losses and see what happens.

I REALLY hope we don't have to wait a year for this to happen.

Interesting to see if they stick with it. I think Castillo's the scapegoat here; your D hasn't cost you games like Vick has.

Couldn't agree more. Our defense is 13th in points allowed. Offense is like 36th in scoring? Id say the wrong coordinator got fired. Still think we should have nabbed Spaggs when he was let go.

Ummm... Excuse me sir. Our wide 9 kept your top 5 elite QB from winning the game.

Do you ever get the feeling the Giants start off slow, having added a lot of new talent, then build towards a crecendo of mind blowing effectiveness as the year goes on

This team is wayyyyyyyyyy more talented then last years version Blind

lucky for you guys you had an early game scheduled with us.......the next time we wont be so nice

Az for Juan Castillo......what did he do wrong? You guys are effective on D, its your O that pretty much sucks

Do you ever get the feeling the Giants start off slow, having added a lot of new talent, then build towards a crecendo of mind blowing effectiveness as the year goes on

This team is wayyyyyyyyyy more talented then last years version Blind

lucky for you guys you had an early game scheduled with us.......the next time we wont be so nice

Az for Juan Castillo......what did he do wrong? You guys are effective on D, its your O that pretty much sucks

Meh, we're pretty notorious for lighting it up after our bye week too Jack. And yes, Defense is fine.

All I am wondering is how this defense goes forward. You have to think there won't be wholesale change. Maybe some added wrinkles, but Bowles can't change too much of how the defense operated under Castillo because that can confuse players and lead to mistakes. Also, how do the players respond? If they lose coming off the bye, how long before some begin to quit?

I REALLY hope we don't have to wait a year for this to happen.

As a Giants fan, I was thrilled when they gave Vick the extension. Vick isn't going to win a championship. I think if Vick fails, it's the nail in the coffin for Reid. Maybe they let Reid give it a go with the rookie they drafted, but I don't know. Eagles have ridden the Andy train for some time now and it's just not happening.

All I am wondering is how this defense goes forward. You have to think there won't be wholesale change. Maybe some added wrinkles, but Bowles can't change too much of how the defense operated under Castillo because that can confuse players and lead to mistakes. Also, how do the players respond? If they lose coming off the bye, how long before some begin to quit?

It's not like a position coach has a defensive scheme of their own all cooked up and ready to go; I wouldn't think anyhow. It would appear to me that the position coach would take direction from the DC. I can't see how this move at this juncture is a benefit to ANYBODY. It's coming off as Andy Reid pinning fault on Castillo...which is bullshit because Andy Reid put Castillo in that position in the first place, when the rest of the world questioned moving Castillo, an offensive coach, to head up the defense.

Shit rolls downhill, responsibility rolls uphill. Andy Reid is at fault here...but loving the Giants as I do, I hope they keep Reid for years to come.

As a Giants fan, I was thrilled when they gave Vick the extension. Vick isn't going to win a championship. I think if Vick fails, it's the nail in the coffin for Reid. Maybe they let Reid give it a go with the rookie they drafted, but I don't know. Eagles have ridden the Andy train for some time now and it's just not happening.

Laurie has already stated that Reid will be gone if we don't make a playoff appearance this year. I'm not really sure what happened to Vick this year. He's never been THIS bad with turnovers that I can remember. If it were me I'd sit him and throw Foles into the water. The kids a great fit for the speed bumps on the road to sacking our QB that we call the O-line. I live in Tucson so I've been watching him for the last 4 years. He has great accuracy, he's good with the quick release and he can read defenses.

Laurie has already stated that Reid will be gone if we don't make a playoff appearance this year. I'm not really sure what happened to Vick this year. He's never been THIS bad with turnovers that I can remember. If it were me I'd sit him and throw Foles into the water. The kids a great fit for the speed bumps on the road to sacking our QB that we call the O-line. I live in Tucson so I've been watching him for the last 4 years. He has great accuracy, he's good with the quick release and he can read defenses.

I think you have to stick with Vick and keep Foles from from getting killed. Maybe once the season is out of reach you throw him in to simply get some adjustment to game speed, but I wouldn't any sooner than that. Not to mention, I don't know that getting Foles overly reliant on or accustomed to an offense that will likely change going into next year, especially if playoffs aren't a possibility is such a good idea from an organizational standpoint. I think that switching coordinators, coaching on a rookie QB can be as detrimental as getting him killed by not giving him a line to protect him. Foles, a healthy O Line, and a nice collection of younger talent already on the team...could prove a good start for a new coach next season.

I think you have to stick with Vick and keep Foles from from getting killed. Maybe once the season is out of reach you throw him in to simply get some adjustment to game speed, but I wouldn't any sooner than that. Not to mention, I don't know that getting Foles overly reliant on or accustomed to an offense that will likely change going into next year, especially if playoffs aren't a possibility is such a good idea from an organizational standpoint. I think that switching coordinators, coaching on a rookie QB can be as detrimental as getting him killed by not giving him a line to protect him. Foles, a healthy O Line, and a nice collection of younger talent already on the team...could prove a good start for a new coach next season.

I don't buy into the whole "let him adjust to the speed of the game" philosophy. I did 10-20 years ago, but in this day and age it just doesn't hold a lot of water with me. And Foles doesn't get killed. As I said, he has a very quick read and release. Furthermore, our offense won't change that drastically regardless of who the next coach is. Whoever it is will have to work with the talent we have on our squad.