SportsWrath

Who remembers the Gallery vs Eli threads back in 2004??

Guest StrahansGap

Guest StrahansGap

I'm sure most of us do. I have an update for everyone. Eli has 2 Super Bowl rings and today Gallery just announced his retirement from the NFL!!

Lol. I wanted Gallery.

Me too.....but then again, I didn't think Manning was even in the picture.

I figured it would be Gallery or Roethlisberger, and would have been happy with either.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I wanted Eli, then Gallery, then Taylor, then Rothlesberger.

When Eli went in the first pick, I started going "get Gallery, get Gallery"....and when the Giants got up and Gallery was gone, I suddenly had a change of heart and started yelling at the TV to get Rothlesberger because we needed a future QB. When we picked Rivers, my heart sunk to the floor because the analysts all said Rivers was not elite because of his side arm throwing mechanics. I wasn't aware they were trading him for Eli (along with future high picks).

In hind sight, it was a brilliant move by the Giants.

Really glad we didn't end up with Gallery and it's hard to think he never really cut it in the NFL. The draft is such a crap shoot.

I remember it like it was yesterday. I wanted Eli, then Gallery, then Taylor, then Rothlesberger.

When Eli went in the first pick, I started going "get Gallery, get Gallery"....and when the Giants got up and Gallery was gone, I suddenly had a change of heart and started yelling at the TV to get Rothlesberger because we needed a future QB. When we picked Rivers, my heart sunk to the floor because the analysts all said Rivers was not elite because of his side arm throwing mechanics. I wasn't aware they were trading him for Eli (along with future high picks).

In hind sight, it was a brilliant move by the Giants.

Really glad we didn't end up with Gallery and it's hard to think he never really cut it in the NFL. The draft is such a crap shoot.

I wanted Eli but I would have been alright with Rivers at the time, Rivers was putting up crazy numbers and was the talk of my circle of friends.

The thing I remember most about that whole gallery vs Eli debate was how most of the Pundits were touting Gallery as the most NFL Ready Tackle to come out of the draft in a long time. He was supposed to lock down the left side of the 0-line for 12+ years for whatever team took him

The thing I remember most about that whole gallery vs Eli debate was how most of the Pundits were touting Gallery as the most NFL Ready Tackle to come out of the draft in a long time. He was supposed to lock down the left side of the 0-line for 12+ years for whatever team took him

Yep....and our offensive line needed fixing and left tackle was a big concern. The thought of Gallery stuffing defensive ends and blasting holes for Tiki seemed like the perfect answer to the Giants. Big, strong, agile, smart, and the best LT to come out of college in decades. Still.....Eli was touted as the best QB to come out of college since the 1983 draft that included Elway, Marino, Kelly, etc. And long term, the Giants needed a stud QB to run the offense for the next 12 years.

Hard to believe Gallery sucked so bad and is now out of football altogether. We dodged a bullet because if Oakland hadn't taken Gallery ahead of us, we probably would've grabbed him instead of Rivers and the trade....maybe.

467px_Robert_Gallery_2011.jpg

Robert Gallery - RIP (Retire in Peace)

Gallery was a solid OG for a few years but still a huge dissapointment.

So glad we went with Eli. Although Big Ben Nd Taylor would have been good picks too. Eli was the best pick by far.

Fuck Phillip Rivers lol I never wanted hom and his side armed throwing.

Gallery was a solid OG for a few years but still a huge dissapointment.

So glad we went with Eli. Although Big Ben Nd Taylor would have been good picks too. Eli was the best pick by far.

Fuck Phillip Rivers lol I never wanted hom and his side armed throwing.

Don't tell AllstarJim that... We got into a headed debate over Phillips Rivers. At the end I told him I would take Jeff Smoker over Phillips Rivers. Lets just say He did not care for that....

I know, the Gallery hype was off the charts prior to the draft.

Thankfully, the Raiders took him instead of Rivers....that would have screwed everything up.

Collectively.. we're ALL smarter and much astute football fans than we were almost a decade ago. Back then I wanted Gallery not because I knew what fuck I was talking about but because it was a bandwagon issue for me and the fact I thought we had a decent QB in Collins.. However, I always kept an open mind knowing the FO knew their shit whereas I was just a fan... from the outside looking in. In Eli we trust.

This just goes to show you that the "experts" know absolutely nothing and the draft is complete crap shoot. I'm pretty sure those "experts" said it was a huge mistake and the Giants completely overpaid for Eli, and it would come back to bite the Giants in the ass. 2 Super Bowl victories and MVP's later, where are all those players taken with the picks the Giants traded?

I know I wanted Eli, But I did think we gave up way to much to get him at the time....

Now....

I would pay twice as much to get Eli on the team. The guy is clutch. He doesn't have the greatest stats. But when the game is on the line. There is not another QB in the NFL I would want under center in those final 2 minutes more than Eli Manning

I remember it more a of a Taylor vs. Gallary debate...Eli wasn't all that much in the conversation.

C. Wagon

Yeah, he really wasn't at all. I wanted Sean Taylor....who knows, he might not have been killed had he been a Giant...not sure where his home was, though or if it was an offseason home he would have been at anyway....