SportsWrath

Eli Manning 31 on NFL top 100 list

GorillaNJ

From Today's Star Ledger

I hadn't really paid too much attention to the NFL Network's Top 100 players of 2012 (or 2011, for that matter) because it's an arbitrary list voted on by only a portion of the players in the league, so there are going to be some serious head-scratching placements.

But tonight, the network revealed a selection that proves this list is silly and deserves no attention. But by highlighting that selection I'm calling attention to the list, which is what I wasn't planning on doing. So in effect, Big Brother wins again.

Sigh.

The selection to which I'm referring is No. 31: Eli Manning.

The network tried spinning it as "redemption" for the Giants' quarterback, who was left off the list last year. But by being voted where he was it means, according to however many players voted, there are 30 players better than the two-time Super Bowl MVP. And that's just crazy talk.

I could sense by the reaction on Twitter the fans were incensed. So please, continue to be fired up here in the comments section. Also, there are apparently four quarterbacks left on the list, so that means Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Philip Rivers are ahead of him. I think we can all agree he should've been slated ahead of Rivers. But tell me whether he's fourth or if he deserves to crack the big three.

5:39 a.m. UPDATE Shows how little attention I've given this list: Rivers has already been listed. The fourth quarterback ahead of Manning is Roethlisberger. Eh, whatever. Manning should be ahead of him, too, as one of the top four quarterbacks.

Also, Victor Cruz came in at No. 39. He and Manning join Justin Tuck (No. 62) and Hakeem Nicks (No. 90) as Giants players revealed so far.

Cruz, by the way, was at the Yankees game tonight, sitting behind home plate and wearing a No. 80 Yankees jersey and Yanks hat. He did a brief interview on the big screen between one of the late innings during which he promoted his new book and vowed the team's success would continue on the field this season.

When Cruz returned to his seat behind the plate, there was plenty of hoopla and picture-taking. So much so, in fact, the ushers had to tell fans to return to their seats because the other fans couldn't see and the players might be distracted. I took a peek over at the Yanks' dugout and noticed Derek Jeter and others gesturing toward Cruz and the chaos. It continues to be incredible to me how fans have connected with Cruz and how he's transcended the game in many ways.

That means Jason "Le Freak" Pierre Paul is in the top 30.

Also, welcome back Gorilla. Long time no see.

Yeah I've been pretty crazy lately. Saw this article today and figured Sportswrath would have some good points on this...

They say players vote on this list, I find it interesting how they pick. Lets say you play for the Bears and did not play Eli all season, do you vote for him? Or say you are in the secondary for the 49ers... or the NFC East... do you vote for him?

I really do not see how he did not land in the top ten with the season he is having.

Yeah I've been pretty crazy lately. Saw this article today and figured Sportswrath would have some good points on this...

They say players vote on this list, I find it interesting how they pick. Lets say you play for the Bears and did not play Eli all season, do you vote for him? Or say you are in the secondary for the 49ers... or the NFC East... do you vote for him?

I really do not see how he did not land in the top ten with the season he is having.

Yeah, they 'say' players vote on the list.... but I don't believe for one second that players would have voted Tebow in the top 100.

Yeah, they 'say' players vote on the list.... but I don't believe for one second that players would have voted Tebow in the top 100.

Players hear all the hype too... and he was winning games for the Broncos... even though he was not exactly doing so with his arm. The best players win games for thier team... he did a lot of that. Now I hope he just tears the Jets appart.

Like the journalist (Garrafalo?) said, it's a select few players. Most likely the Tom Brady's and Drew Bree's don't have time to do crap like this, so it's probably more the Brian Hoyer's and Chase Daniel's, the NFL probably went to them and went, hey while you were holding a clipboard on the sideline, who impressed you most?

I think what is even more of a travesty is Hakeem Nicks at 90! I think he should be cracking the top 50 or 60....with Cruz top 75 or even right in there with Hakeem....both of them made some of the "best CBs in the game" look silly. Cruz annihilated Nnamdi. Nicks continues to put up solid numbers while still missing some games and facing teams best CBs every game.....

But the fact that Eli Manning can turn a no name guy like Cruz into the somehow 39th best player in the league, is definitely more a testament to Eli and why HE should be much higher than 31

Never thought I would ever say this but Eli is now the #1 QB in the NFL and its most valuable player........son of a gun must have sold his soul last year

I think he may of shook Jesse Palmers hand the day Jesse left and a little bit of greatness rubbed off. :confused:

I think he may of shook Jesse Palmers hand the day Jesse left and a little bit of greatness rubbed off. :confused:

I dont think they ever played together, but seriously.....you think Jesse got a fair shot?

I would rate Jesse as a Tony Romo type mobile guy.......was he great no, but better than Lurch

Eli had a lot of Lurch type games before he mastered the game..........how easily we forget those floating ducks and INTs now that he has straightened out his game

Normally after 3-4 years you are not getting better at QB.......Eli has been the big exception to that rule...I have no explanation

Answer to that question, Jack, I don't think anybody, but you have to take QB's off the table. JPP is arguably the most dominant defensive player in the NFL RIGHT NOW. Just not enough people know that yet. After this season, it won't be arguably... the argument will be over! Just watching him, and you guys know I review games on my DVR and watch individual players instead of just following the football, JPP was doing things that jumped off the TV every game. He was treating double teams like they were tackling dummies. When I said he's going to be like Reggie White, I really believed that, and I think his level of play from last year was right there to make that comparison. What you have with JPP is a once in a generation defensive talent, I don't think that's being superlative at all, either. He's the best defensive end I think I've ever seen. I'm not saying he's as important to this team as Strahan was, but he's every bit as physically dominant right now as Strahan's best years, probably more so, and really, this year I think he gets 20+ sacks and 100+ tackles unless they just double him non-stop, and then I think Tuck is going to get 20 sacks.

To have any defensive player on that list higher than Jason Pierre-Paul right now is to underrate how good he was last year and how good he's going to be next year. You can't stop JPP, quite simply, he's the Wilt Chamberlain of DE's, so much more physically dominant than his competition.

I guess if you did not already have a great QB you might snatch Arron Rodgers or Eli for JPP..........no one else

He's a game changer, as is Osi BTW..........thank God we paid the man.

Tuck has been a disappointment since Flozell tripped him

Most overrated: Eli Manning (46,241 votes)

A pair of Super Bowl titles does not impress NFL users, as Manning garnered the most votes for the NFL's most overrated player. Manning ranked 31st on the "Top 100." Manning is still not considered among the elite by some users.

Most underrated: Eli Manning (103,853 votes)

Manning received more than 100,000 votes -- more than five times any other player -- as most underrated player on the list. After being killed for calling himself "elite" last season, Manning backed it up on the field.