SportsWrath

Official Draft Thread 2.0 beta.

BlueInCanada

• Champs get even better: The Giants added strong talent by just picking the top player on the board. Adding LSU receiver Rueben Randle with the last pick in the second round gives the Super Bowl champions a great third receiver to put on the field with Hakeem Nicks and Victor Cruz. Jayron Hosley's off-field issues and lack of size (5-10, 178) caused some teams to stay away, but the Virginia Tech corner's feisty playing style and a solid locker room made him worth investing the penultimate Friday night pick.

Terrific draft so far. Lots of talent left on the board as well. Here's a look at some guys still available:

Ronnell Lewis LB

George Iloka S

Zebrie Sanders OT

Bobbie Massie OT

Lamar Miller RB

Alameda Ta'amu DT

Nigel Bradham LB

Brandon Mosely RT

Billy Winn DE

Jared Crick DE

Andrew Datko OT

Phillip Blake C

Taylor Thompson TE

Senio Kelemete OG

Now, I know Lamar Miller sticks out like a sore thumb but I would draft him even still because he has enormous upside and a ridiculous value in the fourth. I think he'll go early in the 4th though.

I like some developmental tackle prospects in this round. Andrew Datko or Zebrie Sanders could be good picks. I know people have a hard on for Massie, but it's highly unlikely he's going to last until our pick in the 4th.

Senio Kelemete is an intriguing Guard prospect.

Of course I still like Ronnell Lewis, but Nigel Bradham is another athletic linebacker that would be a nice fit, if we have room to add another linebacker.

George Iloka is a great combination of value, need, and fit to our team. He's the natural choice if he gets to our pick. It's not a huge need, but the Giants have to think about life after Phillips and Rolle, and need to address depth at the position.

I think at our compensatory selection, if he's there, it's the perfect time to draft Taylor Thompson. I'm sold on his athletic ability and tremendous size/speed combination. He could be the steal of the draft. I don't want to overreach, but the ceiling is enormous, and he won't be there in the 6th round for us, that I can say with relative confidence.

Any DEs out there that the Giants could draft to fill Tollys spot?

Maybe one of those "boom or bust" picks, he could turn out to be a pro-bowl player or turn

out to be nothing but just a roster spot.

Ahh you just reminded me!

Cam Johnson! DE 6-3 263

Alfonzo got arrested last week for assaulting s police officer.

Thompson

Illoka

Miller

I'd love all them!!

If we draft Miller or Turbin id then trade Bradshaw next year for a mid round pick.

Osi....are you high this morning?

Massie is rated so high by the talking heads and magazine sellers....but 32 teams pass over him repeatedly, so something must be amiss. Teams analyze a player through a sophisticated scouting system and in depth medical reviews, not newspaper articles who regurgitate information from other media sources, who incidentally, got their info from other media sources, and so forth and so on.

My bet is that there are medical issues that are scaring teams away. I recall a surefire first round DE (I forget his name) back a few years ago who fell to the fourth round and of course, I was screaming like a Banshee indian (yeah,yeah...not PC) for the Giants to grab him every time their turn came around. Someone finally said he had some medical issues, but I thought...."soooo", patch him up and get him ready for the NFL. Anyway, he finally got drafted. Never played a game in the NFL and rode off into the sunset with a few million in his pocket after the buyout. Teams remember that kind of shit.

On the other hand (besides 4 fingers and a thumb), it could just be he's falling through the cracks as teams go for other positional players they feel is a bigger need.

Regardless, I think it has to be medical issues scaring people away. Nothing else makes a lot of sense if the Kipers and Mayocks of the world are right that he's a first round talent.

Best of the rest left on the big board.

From PFT (in their order of BPA):

1. Georgia cornerback Brandon Boykin (top 2 or 3 CB in the draft had he not broken his leg in the Senior Bowl)
  2. Washington defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu (with a name like that, you just know the Giants must be interested)
  3. Ole Miss tackle Bobby Massie
  4. Arkansas receiver Joe Adams
  5. Tennessee defensive tackle Malik Jackson (they call him a poor man's clone of Quinton Coples)
  6. Washington running back Chris Polk
  7. Alabama defensive tackle Josh Chapman (call him the best nose tackle in the country if not for his torn ACL)
  8. California receiver Marvin Jones
  9. Miami running back Lamar Miller (post season shoulder surgery has hurt his draft stock)
  10. Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins

Best of the rest: Wake Forest receiver Chris Givens, Nebraska defensive tackle Jared Crick, Arkansas receiver Jarius Wright, Nevada linebacker James-Michael Johnson, Nebraska cornerback Alfonzo Dennard , Virginia linebacker Cam Johnson, South Carolina safety Antonio Allen, Boise State safety George Iloka, Troy defensive end Jonathan Massaquoi, Oklahoma linebacker Ronnell Lewis, Georgia center Ben Jones, Georgia tight end Orson Charles, Florida State tackle Zebrie Sanders, Louisiana-Lafayette tight end Ladarius Green, Furman cornerback Ryan Steed , Miami guard Brandon Washington

------------------------------------

From Yahoo NFPost:

1. Alfonzo Dennard CB, Nebraska (has fallen due to off the field issues).
  2. Ronnell Lewis OLB, Oklahoma
  3. Josh Chapman DT, Alabama (medical concerns)
  4. Orson Charles TE, Georgia
  5. Jared Crick DE, Nebraska (can't stop runners is the knock on him)
  6. Cam Johnson DE, Virginia (looks good, can't sack)
  7. Josh Norman CB, Coastal Carolina (top type player with character concerns)
  8. Lamar Miller RB, Miami
  9. Alameda Ta'amu DT, Washington
  10. Chris Polk RB, Washington

Tree, Crick is 279 pounds, he did play DT at Nebraska but he'll likely be a DE in the pros. At 294, Winn is a bit of a tweener. Looks like he was a 3-4 end at Boise St. But that's basically a DT for a 4-3 team. I don't think he's the best fit for us but I thought I'd list him anyway because he's rated much higher than the round he'll be taken in.

My round 4

IF Massie has issues or is off the board I say Datko. and then TE Green over Orson

I agree with Green over Orson. He's huge (6'6" - 238 lbs) and he's fast (ran a 4.5 at the combine which is unbelievable for a man that size). He's also a little raw, but Pope is the best TE coach in the NFL and with Eli working with him, he could be a freakin monster.

One of many reports on him:

"Green was one of the most productive tight ends in college football last season due to excellent speed and great hands.

Although he comes from the tiny Sun Belt Conference, Green has some serious potential. He ran a 4.53 in the 40-yard dash, one of the best times at this position. Some may describe him as raw, but it all depends on what teams want to do with him. As a blocker, he will need to add muscle and improve his fundamentals. As a receiver, there's a lot to like, more than enough to get by as a pass-catcher. Green could become a serious nightmare matchup on defense given his height, hands and speed. He's not perfect as a route runner but he is still learning after all.

Ultimately, don't be surprised if you see a team reach a little and grab him in the second round instead of waiting until the third. His ability to be a difference maker in the short field and occasionally attack safeties deep will entice someone to give Green a shot. He's a project in the long term though and it's important to remember that"

-----------------------------------

I have to edit this post. After more reading, Green is NOT huge. He's tall and looks like a tall WR. His frame is "thin and not much room for filling out". He's also been plagued with nagging injuries and doesn't take hard hits well. The other knock on him is that he will make an incredible catch, but drop a duckie plopped in his lap....and of course, that was against small school competition. He will get hit much, much harder in the NFL.

My heart says, DRAFT TAYLOR THOMPSON and give Eli and Pope the chance to turn him into a superstar.