SportsWrath

Official Draft Thread 2.0 beta.

BlueInCanada

McCants, Matt

Overview:

A late round value pick as a developmental project at the tackle position. Has the natural size and frame for the next level, but will need to put on weight to hold his own against stronger and faster defensive ends in the NFL. He is an off and on player who will show NFL traits one minute and barely college level traits in the next.

Strengths:

A good positional blocker with fluid hips. Has the body control to get up in a defensive lineman's face and if he falls off, can recover quickly and continue to shuffle and mirror the defensive moves. This serves him well where he rarely allowed a sack. Plays well in space and plays much better when pulling or sealing than when playing in a phone booth.

Weaknesses:

McCants is not very strong and played the majority of his career under 290 pounds. He will have to put on a good deal of weight and get much stronger to block and compete at the next level. He struggles when coming out of the 3-point stance and has displayed some very troubling tendancies throughout his college career that will scare off a lot of NFL teams.

Cruz was already showing flashes, if anything going on IR hindered his progress more.

Besides I still dont get the logic, when a player is on IR all they can do in a team facility is go in for treatment and study.

I don't know of any player who got better from just watching game film.

Not if you are worried they will be picked up from your PS.

Yea I wanted him but he's Not NFL ready I guess. He's got the tools, but didn't produce many sacks.

Cam Johnson, DE

• Height: 6-foot-4
  • Weight: 265 pounds
  • School: Virginia

201202271546567725295-p2.jpeg

Virginia defensive end Cam Johnson (56) looks back during an NCAA college football practice for the Chick-fil-A Bowl at the Georgia Dome on Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2011, in Atlanta. Saturday's Chick-fil-A Bowl game against Auburn will be the first time any Virginia players on the current team have appeared in a bowl game. (AP Photo/David Tulis)

Scouting Report

Johnson began his career at Virginia as a pass-rushing outside linebacker in Al Groh's 3-4 scheme, but he was switched to end in a 4-3 when Mike London took over in 2010. After a breakout junior season in London's first year, a leg injury hampered Johnson for much of 2011, but he may have moved himself back up the draft board with a standout performance at the Senior Bowl. Though he now seems like a natural fit in a 4-3, the experience of playing in a 3-4 certainly should help Johnson. So should his 35.0-inch vertical jump at the NFL combine, which showed how disruptive he can be to passers simply by getting his hands up. He's a good athlete who stays in his gap against the run and is active in backside pursuit. He struggled somewhat against double teams with the Cavaliers, but at least early in his NFL career, that's unlikely to be a problem he'll have to face. He doesn't have the freakish first step that sets apart pass rushers like DeMarcus Ware or Julius Peppers, but simply by being above average in every aspect of his game, Johnson could find himself as a starter at the next level. He's a likely third-round pick who could wind up going earlier to a team desperate to fill a pass-rushing need.

I dont know he May be the BPA there