SportsWrath

Fuck this shit

Treehugger

This kind of crap normally doesn't bother me, but this is just fucking ridiculous:

Odds stacked against losing teams after Week 8

* By Pat Kirwan NFL.com

* Senior Analyst

* Published: Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:38 a.m.

At this point in the season, can a team with a losing record still make the playoffs? The pessimist says no. But a coach who sees his glass as half full might disagree.

To the credit of the naysayer, there's nothing in the Week 8 standings from the 2009 or 2010 seasons that would suggest there is any hope for a playoff run. Not one team with a losing record at this point in the season was able to turn the ship around the past two years.

But if a coach is willing to go back one more year to 2008, there is plenty of ammunition to sell the idea that the race for the playoffs is far from over. Good coaches with losing teams will walk into their Wednesday morning meeting to start their Week 9 preparation and they will talk about 2008.

That year, the Dolphins started the season 3-4 and went on to win the division with an 11-5 record in Tony Sparano's first season as the Dolphins coach. Minnesota was also 3-4 and going nowhere, but they rallied to a 10-6 record and a division title under Brad Childress and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. The Chargers were off to one of their typical slow starts that year and were 3-5 but came charging back to win the division with an 8-8 record. So, for the 13 head coaches who have to stand in front of 53 players and a coaching staff this week and make them believe they can get it done, they should talk about 2008.

There are two losing teams I think still have a shot at making the playoffs:

1. Philadelphia (3-4). The Eagles looked very impressive Sunday night in the dismantling of the Cowboys. They are at full strength, the defense is really coming together, and the offense is starting to look unstoppable. Philadelphia still has five home games and six games against teams with a losing record. A 10-6 record is definitely possible.

2. Dallas (3-4). The Cowboys looked horrible against the Eagles. Dallas is a very inconsistent team, but there is still enough talent there to capture a wild-card berth. They still have four division games left and a win over Washington in hand. Their three losses prior to Sunday night's game came against good teams by 3, 4, and 4 points. With four games left against teams with losing records, a 9-7 record is achievable.

:furious:

With the loss of Bradshaw and our upcoming schedule, with how Philly put the beatdown on Dallas, I can see the philly argument. But for Dallas, I just don't see it.

Not saying I agree with either, just saying I can see where they're coming from for Philly anyhow.

You know I hear constantly about the "Talent" on the Cowboys.......who/where is it.......I don't see any? Their other WRs are all inconsistent.......there Dbacks are horrible........no D-Line........no O'Line

Romo is starting to remind me of a midget version of Ol Lurch (Kerry Collins). Collins could not make it to the shower without fumbling or dropping something..........Tony is studying Lurch's playbook

Aside from Demarcus Ware and Jason Witten..........where is all this "TALENT"???? ...... up in the Go-Go booths? :facepalm:

Say what you want about the Pats, Saints, Packers, Jets and 49ers. They will all be tough games. But this season is going to come down to our 4 divisional games we have left. I think we will win at least 3 of them. If we go 3-2 in the above 5 games (entirely possible), and we win at least 3 of the 4 divisional games, we have the division. New England poses a good litmus test for the rest of the year. 5 wins are in the bag. If you can't find the belief that this team can't win 5 more games, then I don't know why you're a fan. The 49ers are very beatable. The Jets are very beatable. We will destroy the Redskins. We have 2 games against the Cowboys and I think we'll win both. Nothing is certain but I see a lot of opportunity in this schedule. This team can prove itself as a legitimate contender in these games, and I can't wait to see them play the Packers. That is a team that the Giants will have to overcome to go to the Super Bowl again, probably for years to come... to me they are the 49ers of the 80's and early 90's.

Say what you want about the Pats, Saints, Packers, Jets and 49ers. They will all be tough games. But this season is going to come down to our 4 divisional games we have left. I think we will win at least 3 of them. If we go 3-2 in the above 5 games (entirely possible), and we win at least 3 of the 4 divisional games, we have the division. New England poses a good litmus test for the rest of the year. 5 wins are in the bag. If you can't find the belief that this team can't win 5 more games, then I don't know why you're a fan. The 49ers are very beatable. The Jets are very beatable. We will destroy the Redskins. We have 2 games against the Cowboys and I think we'll win both. Nothing is certain but I see a lot of opportunity in this schedule. This team can prove itself as a legitimate contender in these games, and I can't wait to see them play the Packers. That is a team that the Giants will have to overcome to go to the Super Bowl again, probably for years to come... to me they are the 49ers of the 80's and early 90's.

Then we need our D to become as fearsome as they were back in the 80s.

This kind of crap normally doesn't bother me, but this is just fucking ridiculous:

:furious:

the dog isn't sure why this is so infuriating. if the giants lose to NE (and the dog is not so sure they will...in the dog's opinion, they match up well against the patriots), and the eagles and cowboys win, the giants have just a 1 game lead on both teams (1.5 against Philly). given the schedule comparisons, why is hard to believe that either team will leap frog the giants in the end? seems to be a legitimate take on this division...

the dog isn't sure why this is so infuriating. if the giants lose to NE (and the dog is not so sure they will...in the dog's opinion, they match up well against the patriots), and the eagles and cowboys win, the giants have just a 1 game lead on both teams (1.5 against Philly). given the schedule comparisons, why is hard to believe that either team will leap frog the giants in the end? seems to be a legitimate take on this division...

The subtext infuriates me ie. the Giants (5-2) are not good enough to hold their position in the division against two teams who have drastically underperformed for the first half of the season. One of of those teams is showing absolutely no sign of improvement yet is still being credited with the same "potential" they've were touted as having since preseason, and the other who the Giants have already beaten. Yes we have a tough schedule coming up but both the Eagles and Cowboys have to beat us (again, 5-2) to have a shot.

The Bills are 5-2 and already penciled into a playoff spot (and if I hear "Hahrvard" one more time I'm gonna puke) while we're 5-2 and considered the third best team in our division.

The subtext infuriates me ie. the Giants (5-2) are not good enough to hold their position in the division against two teams who have drastically underperformed for the first half of the season. One of of those teams is showing absolutely no sign of improvement yet is still being credited with the same "potential" they've were touted as having since preseason, and the other who the Giants have already beaten. Yes we have a tough schedule coming up but both the Eagles and Cowboys have to beat us (again, 5-2) to have a shot.

The Bills are 5-2 and already penciled into a playoff spot (and if I hear "Hahrvard" one more time I'm gonna puke) while we're 5-2 and considered the third best team in our division.

Same old, same old. The Cowboys and Eagles are going to win the SB one of these decades.

Dangerfield_s-logo-570A768D07-seeklogo.com.gif

dog didn't read it that way at all. the author says "make the playoffs" not win the division. and the dog didn't see it as both those teams will get in, just that both have a shot of finishing with enough wins to get in.

you still have to look at it realistically. the giants are 5-2 after completing the soft part of the schedule (dolphins winless, rams 1 win, cardinals 1 win account for three of the 5 wins). they are an unknown here. some here have said they are a couple of plays away from being 7-0, but the dog could also argue that they are a couple of plays away from being 1-7. that is why many struggle to give them credit. a lot will come out in the next few weeks as to whether or not they are legit or not. the eagles and cowboys have the easier part of their schedule to play, at least on paper. and on paper they are talented teams...whether or not either is for real will also come out in the wash shortly. if the dog had to wager, the eagles are still the most dangerous of the three teams. but they tank every year in key games, so...

dog didn't read it that way at all. the author says "make the playoffs" not win the division. and the dog didn't see it as both those teams will get in, just that both have a shot of finishing with enough wins to get in.

Uh oh....THE dogs slippin!!!

Fuck Sometime I hate THE DOG and Sometimes I Like him...

But to his credit He is spot on about this game and the Giants. We really do not know what we have. We had games against some pretty poor opponents.

This week vs NE is just the start of the true litmus test of the Giants this season. Win or Lose it does not make or break our season. But drop say the next three and then Our current record is just a product of our soft opening schedule.

Me personally think we can, not that we will but are capable of winning 2 or our next 3 games.

Fuck Sometime I hate THE DOG and Sometimes I Like him...

But to his credit He is spot on about this game and the Giants. We really do not know what we have. We had games against some pretty poor opponents.

This week vs NE is just the start of the true litmus test of the Giants this season. Win or Lose it does not make or break our season. But drop say the next three and then Our current record is just a product of our soft opening schedule.

Me personally think we can, not that we will but are capable of winning 2 or our next 3 games.

To our credit though, we have been winning games that, given our history, we would normally lose. The Dolphins game, for example. We shouldn't have had that let down at Seattle. If we didn't, I think we'd be more in the discussion and be getting a little more respect.

At the end of the day, 5-2 after 8 weeks is still 5-2 after 8 weeks. Still a long season, but IMO, we have proved we are good enough to win football games. Now to keep it up.

I can't help but keep my guard up with this team. They've dropped a game to the Seahawks, needed late minute heroics from Eli to beat the Cardinals, and had two weeks to prepare for a winless Dolphins team and needed a late minute touchdown to beat them. I know it is the NFL and a win is a win. I also know you can't go out every Sunday and play your best football. However, I can't fault outside observers for being less than convinced this Giant team has what it takes to weather the upcoming schedule, considering what we've seen in the years past and their recent struggles against the upper echelon teams of the league. The one thing we have going for us it's a quarterback driven league and Eli is playing the best football of his career. As long as the defense is respectable I think they can actually win shootouts now.

meh. If we win our remaining game at home against Philly and our 2 games left with Dallas we will win the division.

I, for one, think this is doable.

Add the remaining game against the Redskins and I agree wholeheartedly. But it would be nice to get this game on Sunday, too! :)