SportsWrath

I sure wish....

rphguy

Trade isn't looking so bad anymore is it. :TU:

I can understand us old timers being leery of a QB trade (re: Tarkenton, Morton) to name the two QB trades that destroyed any chance for a decent Giants team in the 70's due to the loss of draft picks. But Eli and Rivers were pretty much 1a and 1b in college so it came down to personality and sense of fit. Rivers seems a lot like the Collins type of QB before Collins was ash canned and then the Giants took in a "reformed" more mature Collins. Mara and Acorsi took one look at that Opie awwh shucks mug of Eli's and said we have a Giants type QB. Now if he were only Catholic and went to BC or Notre Dame ....well we would then bow down and worship his graven image. :laugh: Ain't that right Admiral Awesome.

I can understand us old timers being leery of a QB trade (re: Tarkenton, Morton) to name the two QB trades that destroyed any chance for a decent Giants team in the 70's due to the loss of draft picks. But Eli and Rivers were pretty much 1a and 1b in college so it came down to personality and sense of fit. Rivers seems a lot like the Collins type of QB before Collins was ash canned and then the Giants took in a "reformed" more mature Collins. Mara and Acorsi took one look at that Opie awwh shucks mug of Eli's and said we have a Giants type QB. Now if he were only Catholic and went to BC or Notre Dame ....well we would then bow down and worship his graven image. :laugh: Ain't that right Admiral Awesome.

:LMAO:

Everything is analyzed and re-analyzed through the perspective of that moment in time. Right now it looks great for us, and we are all tremendously happy. I was one who thought we didn't need to trade up, I thought if we were going to go QB, Rivers OR Roethlisberger would've been fine by me. But overall, I thought, we could get back to the Super Bowl with Collins if we could've shored up the defense. Which is why I was a big advocate for Sean Taylor, and I was crushed when the Skins drafted him and thought that he would haunt us playing in our division. Accorsi was right, although had Taylor not been tragically murdered, I think he was on his way to a Hall of Fame career.

Rivers had a great chance a few years ago (2007) to beat the Patriots in the AFC championship game, playing with a torn ACL in his knee. He was at the top of his game then and that team was really good. Of course, it would've cost us the chance to make history. NFL Network had a show saying that him playing in that game was one of the top 10 gutsiest games ever. I think it was pretty gutsy, and I can't fault him for trying, but in reality, he cost his team a chance to go to the Super Bowl. He was a statue that day, and couldn't get anything behind his throws. On the sideline, there was a very capable QB in Billy Volek who would've given the Chargers a chance to win. The Chargers managed just 12 points, falling 21-12. I think Norv Turner bore the ultimate responsibility, though, because he could've told Rivers no.

Accorsi had a conviction and he made the right call. Eli has taken time to develop, but bottom line is he's already a Super Bowl winner, and he's playing at an elite level, thriving in a city and stadium where that's difficult to do, both statistically and mentally. Eli has endured critics and malcontents on his own team as well as former teammates, crushing defeats in the playoffs, taken all the brutal hits his opponents have leveled, a 25 interception season, ridicule from the national media at a overhyped statement he made, and look at him now. He is the king of New York. He's never missed a start, and never let the noise get him down. Easy E is what he's been, and he and the young receivers he's guided are about to take on one of the toughest regular season stretches imaginable, but nobody is saying he can't do it now.

Meanwhile, Rivers is playing the worst football of his career, and the team is barely hanging on to a weak division in spite of his struggles. And how bad does AJ Smith feel that he traded away one Super Bowl MVP and let another one walk in free agency just a couple of years later? Double ouch.

Had that trade never happened, though, raise your hand if you think Rivers would've been able to endure what Eli's endured. I don't think Rivers could've handled New York. Chuck put it another way, and he's right. I'll just say the guy has too big of an ego to have been able to brush off the critics and not let it get to him. Still, Rivers is a talented player that can turn it around. I think one day he will guide his team deep into the playoffs, but even then, Eli will still have the ring, and maybe more.

Had that trade never happened, though, raise your hand if you think Rivers would've been able to endure what Eli's endured. I don't think Rivers could've handled New York. Chuck put it another way, and he's right. I'll just say the guy has too big of an ego to have been able to brush off the critics and not let it get to him. Still, Rivers is a talented player that can turn it around. I think one day he will guide his team deep into the playoffs, but even then, Eli will still have the ring, and maybe more.

THANK YOU.. real recognized real... i don't even think big freaking Ben can handle this new york media, they will cream the hell out of you for even sneezing the wrong way... Rivers won't be able to take the heat from the media and it'll drive the dude insane. Ben be boo outta town after that little thing with under age girl...

my first time seeing Eli come in to replace Warner (i felt bad for the Kurt too). I knew Eli was special, he looked like he belong and made his first throw.. i knew we didn't make a mistake..