SportsWrath

Are we going to have a season in 2011?

JMFP

I've been too busy to really follow this....and it annoys me that anyone could be so stupid/greedy to fuck with a multi-billion dollary golden goose.

Any idea as to what chance there is that the season could acutally be postponed? Surely, they aren't that fucking stupid, right?

Not going to happen. I think this is going to be worse then the NHL lockout.

I don't think anything could have been worse for a league than the NHL Lockout. I am just hoping the NBA has a Lockout so the NHL could rise again. Oh wait, they have better attendance but the all Lebron Network (ESPN) wont cover them.

I guess I am naturally cynical but I don't think there will be anything resembling real football this fall.

It probably won't happen but probably the best thing we can do as fans is to TOTALLY IGNORE everything about the draft. If the ratings suck big time, the networks will take notice. They are the only group that can put true pressure on the owners.

I guess I am naturally cynical but I don't think there will be anything resembling real football this fall.

It probably won't happen but probably the best thing we can do as fans is to TOTALLY IGNORE everything about the draft. If the ratings suck big time, the networks will take notice. They are the only group that can put true pressure on the owners.

Why the owners? If anything the players are the ones to this point who need to make up their mind on what they want changed, if anything. From everything I have read the owners have come into the talks from day one wanted to get a deal done so that the season can be under way but it was D. Smith and his crew that kept turning everything the owners proposed away and instead decided to take it to court.

The owners laid a deal out for the players the players wanted it taken to court, it's hard to have a deal talks when one side already has their mind made up on what their going to do regardless.

Why the owners? If anything the players are the ones to this point who need to make up their mind on what they want changed, if anything. From everything I have read the owners have come into the talks from day one wanted to get a deal done so that the season can be under way but it was D. Smith and his crew that kept turning everything the owners proposed away and instead decided to take it to court.

The owners laid a deal out for the players the players wanted it taken to court, it's hard to have a deal talks when one side already has their mind made up on what their going to do regardless.

There is no question that the players wanted to dissolve the Union and push the matter in the courts. They have to look at the pay structures in the other 2 major sports and be asking themselves wtf? every day. And I get that.

The owners, however, may, to some extent, have been posturing with their offer as well. For a highly skilled labor force to be demanding 60% of gross revenues does not seem ridiculous. They ARE the product. With out them, the money isn't there.

There is a big rift between the big market owners and the small market owners right now. The salary cap is set as a % of total league revenues but the owners only share some of the revenue. Things like concessions, luxury box / luxury seat sales and stadium naming rights are not. This gives the Dan Snyder's and Jerry Jones's of the league much larger revenue streams than those in teh smaller markets.

As I understand it, the small market guys where pushing to meet players demands, avoid teh courts and remedy the revenue sharing while the large market guys want the whole frame work torn down with even less sharing going on.

I think I am going to invest in a Las Vegas Locomotives Jersey

I do not think it happens, honestly. The court proceedings are gonna take awhile, and then there is the negotiating part. They have been negotiating the past four years, and both sides are three steps back right now. They are miles apart on everything. Hate to say it, I do not see a season happening.

all this squabbling between overpaid morons with big egos on both sides is pissing me off ...and damaging the image of the game over here in England ......meanwhile half the world has no money and people are losing their jobs all around me .....

many of us have invested our emotions , time and money for this sport over 25 years + ...........im getting bloody annoyed !

SORT IT OUT !

I'd be totally fine with replacement players.....and I'd be fine if the players created a new league.

Most owners and players couldn't give two shits about the fans anyway, so why should I care about players or the franchises?

I'd be totally fine with replacement players.....and I'd be fine if the players created a new league.

Most owners and players couldn't give two shits about the fans anyway, so why should I care about players or the franchises?

Do you remember 87' Joe....it was god awful.....I mean....it was unwatchable.

There is way too much money on the table for either side to walk away....they will play in 11.

C.Wagon

Do you remember 87' Joe....it was god awful.....I mean....it was unwatchable.

There is way too much money on the table for either side to walk away....they will play in 11.

C.Wagon

Oh yeah, I remember.....that's one of the reasons I want to see it.

Let's drag the the entire game through the mud....make a joke out of it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I've never been less involved or invested in an NFL offseason as this one.

C.Wagon

Unfortunately, the owners get paid in 2011 either way due to the current TV contract. i don't see them rushing to an agreement with teh players until they resolve their own deep divisions.

I said this is another thread but it is more appropriate here:

IMO, the fans need to stand up now and be heard. The only reason they are fighting over this huge pot of money is because we the fans have agreed to pay exorbitant prices for merchandise, tickets, and beer and food at the stadiums. Hell, here in Tampa you have to pay $25 to PARK at Raymond James Stadium, in a grass lot. $25 for a peice of dirt, before you even step foot in the stadium. And they are talking about raising that to $30. We as consumers have agreed to be screwed for far too long. The owners have priced out the middle class. And now they are fighting over their billions like it's their birthright.

It's time for us to tell them who's #1 with a big foam middle finger in the air. I propose a boycott of all NFL merchandise and tickets unless they come to a reasonable agreement that puts the fans first by August 1st. If you guys are with me, then we can take this to facebook, other NFL forums, and make this a big thing.

WHO IS WITH ME?!

I've said it before and I'll say it again; I've never been less involved or invested in an NFL offseason as this one.

I agree 100%. One of the nice things about the Fall is hanging out on Sunday's and watching football.

It just blows my mind that any business could have such a fish-in-a-barrel market, and totally fuck it up.

I agree 100%. One of the nice things about the Fall is hanging out on Sunday's and watching football.

It just blows my mind that any business could have such a fish-in-a-barrel market, and totally fuck it up.

Yep. Millionaires fighting with billionaires... not a whole lot of sympathy from where I'm standing for either one of 'em.

I said this is another thread but it is more appropriate here:

IMO, the fans need to stand up now and be heard. The only reason they are fighting over this huge pot of money is because we the fans have agreed to pay exorbitant prices for merchandise, tickets, and beer and food at the stadiums. Hell, here in Tampa you have to pay $25 to PARK at Raymond James Stadium, in a grass lot. $25 for a peice of dirt, before you even step foot in the stadium. And they are talking about raising that to $30. We as consumers have agreed to be screwed for far too long. The owners have priced out the middle class. And now they are fighting over their billions like it's their birthright.

It's time for us to tell them who's #1 with a big foam middle finger in the air. I propose a boycott of all NFL merchandise and tickets unless they come to a reasonable agreement that puts the fans first by August 1st. If you guys are with me, then we can take this to facebook, other NFL forums, and make this a big thing.

WHO IS WITH ME?!

ME!

I already told my dad not to renew our Giants season tickets for next year, exactly for the reasons you said. Our "new" seats are too expensive, the concessions are a joke, the stadium is poorly laid out (double the time to get in and out of it), and it's fugly to boot.