SportsWrath

our best pick was.......

Mr. Webster

jones in the third.

i think he is the steal of the draft.......very good saftey in college tons of up side....big fast and stong....not sure why he was only a 3rd round pick tho.

this does scare me however bc to me this means the front office is not sold on KP coming back any time soon

jones

grant

rolle

that makes three this offseason

jones in the third.

i think he is the steal of the draft.......very good saftey in college tons of up side....big fast and stong....not sure why he was only a 3rd round pick tho.

this does scare me however bc to me this means the front office is not sold on KP coming back any time soon

jones

grant

rolle

Keep in mind Grant has been around the block a while now. Might be free to cut him loose at any time without taking much of a hit. I think he was only a 1-year signing or so.

jones in the third.

jones

grant

rolle

He is a two sport athlete who was already drafted by the Houston Astros to play baseball. No one knew 100% for sure that he would choose football over baseball. He convinced Reese and T.C. that he would dedicate his life to football instead of baseball though and the rest is history. I believe he would've been a first rounder if not for the risk that no GM wanted to take by blowing a high draft pick on a player they might never even get.

But yeah....Jones was a steal.

He is a two sport athlete who was already drafted by the Houston Astros to play baseball. No one knew 100% for sure that he would choose football over baseball. He convinced Reese and T.C. that he would dedicate his life to football instead of baseball though and the rest is history. I believe he would've been a first rounder if not for the risk that no GM wanted to take by blowing a high draft pick on a player they might never even get.

But yeah....Jones was a steal.

that explains it....good info thanks :thumbs:

I'm most excited about JPP, to be honest. I wanna see if he booms or busts.

I think the guy we'll get the most use out of his rookie year though is Joseph. He's gonna eat space just like he's supposed to. I think he'll see a good 40-60% of the defensive snaps this season.

jones in the third.

jones

grant

rolle

I dont know. Every thing Ive been reading about him says he's ahead of track. He's running already.

I think the first 5 rounds were beautifully orchestrated by Reese, Coughlin, and the rest of the Giants war room. They did night fight the draft, did not reach, just let the draft come to them and picked high value players at their spot. Still, time will tell if this draft was a success. Right now, I agree with the Giants on their draft strategy, speaking specifically in the first round. We will all be watching to see if JPP lives up to his enormous potential, but given his amazing physical gifts, this was the right pick at the time. Derrick Morgan and Sean Weatherspoon are the two players that could've been had at that spot, and their respective careers will likely be the measuring stick against JPP. No matter what happens though, it's hard to argue with Reese on that pick.

Moving to the 2nd round, everybody wanted to see the Giants pick up that MLB from the 2nd tier. Obviously, the Giants didn't feel that Daryl Washington, Sean Lee, Pat Angerer, or Brandon Spikes had enough value at their spot, so they picked up a DT that had what many people had 1st round value at DT with Linval Joseph. I did think that DT was a bit of a need here, with Robbins moving on and no big space eater, run stopper really on the roster at the time, so I don't have a problem with the pick, and it appears that most of us are very enthusiastic about Joseph's potential and what he can bring to the defense.

In the third, the selection of Chad Jones was probably the best pick of any team in that round, aside from the Browns' selection of Colt McCoy. More upside and obvious talent here than any other player, IMO in that round, either before or after the Giants selection. That is really saying something in a draft this deep. Chad Jones in other years could've been a late 1st, early 2nd round selection. Getting him here was a flat out coup.

In the fourth, Reese finally gets a MLB, Phillip Dillard from Nebraska. This pick, while not a bad pick, not the most exciting for me. If the Giants really didn't see a big need in the second to take any of the aforementioned linebackers that were there then I would think that they must feel pretty good about their group of young linebackers in Goff, Blackburn, Wilkinson, and Kehl. Bleedin' mentioned Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, a corner out of Indiana College (PA). The Cowboys picked him later in the round, but with Bruce Johnson as our 4th CB, I might've been a little more enthused with Owusu-Ansah, which would've also fulfilled the Giants requirement of drafting a player with an unpronounceable name. But that's just me, and the Giants really liked Dillard, even in the 3rd round, so they got their guy a round later, and if they see something in him, that's good enough for me. We'll see if he can compete with the guys already there. I think Wilkinson may be a goner after this pick.

In the 5th, again, Reese struck paydirt with Petrus. How can you go wrong with a Guard who is one of the strongest guys in the draft who also has good feet? Mitch Petrus was rated the 3rd best Guard in this class behind Iupati and Jon Asamoah. by CBSSports. 45 reps of 225... just awesome. Petrus could push Seubert right away at Guard, and even if he doesn't, he is probably the unquestioned starter there in 2011.

Who knows what will happen with picks 6 and 7. I think Adrian Tracy may be a longshot to make the roster, but Matt Dodge can be an heir apparent to Feagles. And if he can kickoff, all the better. We need somebody to take the kickoff duties from Tynes, who rarely kicks it inside the opponent's 5 yard line.

This draft has a good chance of being talked about as another huge success for Reese, but it really is on JPP that will determine that.

I'm most excited about JPP, to be honest. I wanna see if he booms or busts.

I think the guy we'll get the most use out of his rookie year though is Joseph. He's gonna eat space just like he's supposed to. I think he'll see a good 40-60% of the defensive snaps this season.

It's too bad Strahan isn't on the team. JPP would have learn a bunch from him.

It's too bad Strahan isn't on the team. JPP would have learn a bunch from him.

I wouldn't be surprised that Strahan has already called him and talked to him giving him encouragement. I suspect Strahan will come around camp now and then and will be giving out tips and cheering them on. Strahan is a Giant to the marrow of his bones. He can't help it.

I wouldn't be surprised that Strahan has already called him and talked to him giving him encouragement. I suspect Strahan will come around camp now and then and will be giving out tips and cheering them on. Strahan is a Giant to the marrow of his bones. He can't help it.

Just like the Draft commentators saying how Dez was already receiving guidance from Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders. Lucky guy.

Just like the Draft commentators saying how Dez was already receiving guidance from Michael Irvin and Deon Sanders. Lucky guy.

Dez, 2 things.............

1) Pimpin ain't easy

2) Here's Nate Newton's phone number.

I think the first 5 rounds were beautifully orchestrated by Reese, Coughlin, and the rest of the Giants war room. They did night fight the draft, did not reach, just let the draft come to them and picked high value players at their spot. Still, time will tell if this draft was a success. Right now, I agree with the Giants on their draft strategy, speaking specifically in the first round. We will all be watching to see if JPP lives up to his enormous potential, but given his amazing physical gifts, this was the right pick at the time. Derrick Morgan and Sean Weatherspoon are the two players that could've been had at that spot, and their respective careers will likely be the measuring stick against JPP. No matter what happens though, it's hard to argue with Reese on that pick.

Moving to the 2nd round, everybody wanted to see the Giants pick up that MLB from the 2nd tier. Obviously, the Giants didn't feel that Daryl Washington, Sean Lee, Pat Angerer, or Brandon Spikes had enough value at their spot, so they picked up a DT that had what many people had 1st round value at DT with Linval Joseph. I did think that DT was a bit of a need here, with Robbins moving on and no big space eater, run stopper really on the roster at the time, so I don't have a problem with the pick, and it appears that most of us are very enthusiastic about Joseph's potential and what he can bring to the defense.

In the third, the selection of Chad Jones was probably the best pick of any team in that round, aside from the Browns' selection of Colt McCoy. More upside and obvious talent here than any other player, IMO in that round, either before or after the Giants selection. That is really saying something in a draft this deep. Chad Jones in other years could've been a late 1st, early 2nd round selection. Getting him here was a flat out coup.

In the fourth, Reese finally gets a MLB, Phillip Dillard from Nebraska. This pick, while not a bad pick, not the most exciting for me. If the Giants really didn't see a big need in the second to take any of the aforementioned linebackers that were there then I would think that they must feel pretty good about their group of young linebackers in Goff, Blackburn, Wilkinson, and Kehl. Bleedin' mentioned Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, a corner out of Indiana College (PA). The Cowboys picked him later in the round, but with Bruce Johnson as our 4th CB, I might've been a little more enthused with Owusu-Ansah, which would've also fulfilled the Giants requirement of drafting a player with an unpronounceable name. But that's just me, and the Giants really liked Dillard, even in the 3rd round, so they got their guy a round later, and if they see something in him, that's good enough for me. We'll see if he can compete with the guys already there. I think Wilkinson may be a goner after this pick.

In the 5th, again, Reese struck paydirt with Petrus. How can you go wrong with a Guard who is one of the strongest guys in the draft who also has good feet? Mitch Petrus was rated the 3rd best Guard in this class behind Iupati and Jon Asamoah. by CBSSports. 45 reps of 225... just awesome. Petrus could push Seubert right away at Guard, and even if he doesn't, he is probably the unquestioned starter there in 2011.

Who knows what will happen with picks 6 and 7. I think Adrian Tracy may be a longshot to make the roster, but Matt Dodge can be an heir apparent to Feagles. And if he can kickoff, all the better. We need somebody to take the kickoff duties from Tynes, who rarely kicks it inside the opponent's 5 yard line.

This draft has a good chance of being talked about as another huge success for Reese, but it really is on JPP that will determine that.

The more time goes by, the more optimistic I become.

If Dillard pans out at MLB, then the Giants really had a fine draft.

the funny thing about this draft is there was no wow factor.....I don't see any of these guys stepping in and starting

all are development programs...........maybe the kicker will start

I think Joseph will see snaps in week 1.

the funny thing about this draft is there was no wow factor.....I don't see any of these guys stepping in and starting

yes we had kind of an "under the radar" draft this year.

Not necessarily a bad thing though. Every year 2 or 3 teams are anointed super bowl contenders after selecting a draft class of which, 70% or more will not start their rookie year and will either be out of football or on another team with in a couple of years.

The draft is crucial to the long term prospects of a franchise but rarely does a specific draft have an immediate impact on a given team.

I think you'll see a lot of Chad Jones in year one. He was listed as the number one strong safety in virtually every scouts handbook. Super speed, super hands, super instinct, and big enough and strong enough to play linebacker if needed. He played a lot of free safety at LSU, but he's best suited in the NFL as a strong safety. The Giants are not going to leave him on the practice squad or on the bench...especially considering the troubles we had last year at the safety position.

Even with Rolle and Grant on the Giants' payroll now, Jones is going to see a lot of playing time.

-----------------------------------

I also expect to see plenty of Linval Joseph this coming season...especially in obvious run situations.

-----------------------------------

I wouldn't be surprised if you see quite a bit of Dillard this year as well.

Regardless....time will tell. Injuries are a part of life and afterwards, no telling who will be stepping up. To simply blow it off by saying you don't see any of this year's draftees playing is not very realistic.

i said STARTING not playing

yes i see playing time for all these guys

watch out on the super speed for chad Jones though....his times were average.....then again saftey is like centerfield....good ones sniff out the play and get a jump on the ball not needing super speed as you put it