SportsWrath

Grade the Giants Draft

JMFP

I give it a 'C+' so farl.

JPP is a huge reach that brings the draft grade down, we could of done alot better at #15 but we could of done alot worse.

Joseph is a pick I like, a big DT who can take up the double teams and is going to be a run stuffer.

I actually like the Jones pick as well, CC is out the door along with Johnson. With Phillips looking like he's not going to step back out on the field we need a Safety who we can develop into a starter. From all accounts this guy a is a hell of a safety who just needs time to learn a system.

Interesting to see what we do tomorrow.

Both JPP and Chad look to be boom-or-bust types, but I like Chad better.

I actually like the DT pick... we haven't had a real space-eater since Norman Hand played a half-season for us.

I'd give us a C-

If we don't swing a deal for Morrison or some other MLB we're royally fucked. I can't believe we didn't go for Lee OR Spikes.

I'll give them a B-. I'll give them an A- for the 2nd and 3rd round picks because those were positions we actually needed but they lose out on the A because they aren't MLBs. After that the Pierre "No Experience Necessary" Paul pick was lame and moronic and drops them down a full letter grade.

so far a B

JPP is a gamble but if he pays off it will be big

the DT was a solid pick

the saftey is huge 240lbs........hes going to hurt someone on the opposition.....I hope they all strap up their helmets

I want to see a RB a steal like the guy we gave away to GB, a Large fast LBer 240 or more, a QB in the final rounds......then I want to see Jerry go to work trading Osi or Kiwi for a premier MLBer

More than anything else I want to see a team with fire in their bellys.......not the team of forlorn which finished last season. For that to happen leaders will have to emerge on the field.

the upside is Eli is poised for a record breaking season with the maturity of these superb young WRs ....Rhamses should be groomed a pass catching TE ......we need him in the red zone

"Green Zone"............what a schmuck........cant even use common football terminology....has to invent his own

so far a B

JPP is a gamble but if he pays off it will be big

the DT was a solid pick

the saftey is huge 240lbs........hes going to hurt someone on the opposition.....I hope they all strap up their helmets

I want to see a RB a steal like the guy we gave away to GB, a Large fast LBer 240 or more, a QB in the final rounds......then I want to see Jerry go to work trading Osi or Kiwi for a premier MLBer

More than anything else I want to see a team with fire in their bellys.......not the team of forlorn which finished last season. For that to happen leaders will have to emerge on the field.

the upside is Eli is poised for a record breaking season with the maturity of these superb young WRs ....Rhamses should be groomed a pass catching TE ......we need him in the red zone

"Green Zone"............what a schmuck........cant even use common football terminology....has to invent his own

He's big but only 220.

I like the picks we made, but I'll give them a B-. MLB is a need position, I like Goff, but not sure if I like him enough to be the starter right now. The MLB we just picked is likely depth. I really think Spikes would have proven to be an impact player for us, but looks like he'll be doing that for the Pats.

After finally getting a linebacker in the 4th, the best I can give this is a "C". I don't expect much from Dillard....if he actually pans out, then I'll eat my words.

Analysis

Read & React: Fast downhill between the tackles against the run. Reads misdirection and running back routes. A step slow on play action, and will get a bit overzealous against the run.

Run defense: Hustles from sideline-to-sideline and downfield and takes good angles to the ball. Lacks size to get through traffic and off of blocks consistently, but is willing to take on linemen to close up a hole and can be violent with his hands to stay free inside. Flexible enough to grab backs from behind and wrap up when coming off the edge. Will overrun plays and lose sight of the ball because of his lack of height.

Pass defense: Consistently plays three downs. Secure wrapping up after the catch. Stays with backs in man whether in the flat, over the middle, and down the seam. Can trail larger receivers and tight ends on crossing routes. Does not always find the ball in the air but can knock it out of backs' hands after the catch. Change-of-direction ability is adequate. Might struggle covering jerk routes.

Tackling: Explosive tackler between the tackles and in the flat. Strong enough in the upper body to take down ballcarriers with arm tackles. Fair changing direction in space for a middle linebacker, but could improve in that area. Breaks down well enough to at least slow down elusive backs. Tackling ability and hustle should help him as an inside cover man on special teams.

Pass Rush/Blitz: Comes hard on the blitz or when exploiting a lane to the quarterback. Does not miss the quarterback often once in his sights. Breaks down and uses his strength to overwhelm the signal caller. Will pound or avoid cut blocks from running backs.

Intangibles: Smart, intense player who directs defense from the middle and gives superb effort on every play. Worked off a lot of weight between his junior and senior seasons, when it appeared he re-dedicated himself. Showed maturity by being a good teammate and leading at practice when not playing the first two games of his senior year. Won the team's Novak Trophy in 2009 for "best exemplifying courage and determination despite all odds in the manner of Nebraska All-American center Tom Novak."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/563119?tag=DraftTrackerTableData;DraftTrackerTable115

Adrian Tracy is being considered an OLB....but when the pick came up, he was a DE.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/drafttracker

The boys on NFL Network finally got around to talking about the Giants draft (believe it or not).

All four agreed the Giants had a solid draft. They said it "wasn't sexy because the Giants didn't really have a MUST NEED player at an important position except middle linebacker". And they followed that with, "in all reality, after McClain, the dropoff was so huge that the answer to the Giants' MLB hole was not coming from this draft".

They uniformly loved the Pierre-Paul pick and all agreed that in the future, it wouldn't be surprising if JPP becomes the top pick of this draft.

They also really liked the Joseph and Jones pick and loved the Petrus pick whom they believe could be a future pro-bowler.

Regardless....The Giants couldn't get McClain and now we have fans calling this draft a complete bust because we didn't draft several third tier MLB's. There was only one first tier (McClain) and Weatherspoon is the only LB that might eventually slide out of the third tier into the second tier, but that's a stretch.

The Giants obviously looked for value and BPA as their charts showed.

I give them an "A-"

The boys on NFL Network finally got around to talking about the Giants draft (believe it or not).

All four agreed the Giants had a solid draft. They said it "wasn't sexy because the Giants didn't really have a MUST NEED player at an important position except middle linebacker". And they followed that with, "in all reality, after McClain, the dropoff was so huge that the answer to the Giants' MLB hole was not coming from this draft".

They uniformly loved the Pierre-Paul pick and all agreed that in the future, it wouldn't be surprising if JPP becomes the top pick of this draft.

They also really liked the Joseph and Jones pick and loved the Petrus pick whom they believe could be a future pro-bowler.

Regardless....The Giants couldn't get McClain and now we have fans calling this draft a complete bust because we didn't draft several third tier MLB's. There was only one first tier (McClain) and Weatherspoon is the only LB that might eventually slide out of the third tier into the second tier, but that's a stretch.

I give them an "A-"

I'll agree with the Petrus pick....given the round, getting a solid OG from Arkansas was a good need pick.

i go B+

I'm sticking with a "C".

As far as the Giants go, I'm from Missouri, especially at linebacker.

I remember last year I was concerned about the wide receivers, and they became a strength of the team.

I'm hoping I'm wrong about the linebackers in the same way.....but sure as shit, they'll need to step up...because only Dillard is a real gem, they've done nothing through the draft to stengthen the unit.

I give them an "A-"

i'll bet you dollars to donuts McClains out of the league with Chrone's disease in 2 yrs

i'll bet you dollars to donuts McClains out of the league with Chrone's disease in 2 yrs

I hope not for his sake, but it's definitely possible as it's in his family and in his genes. That was the only worry teams had about him.