SportsWrath

The NYG first pick

Lubeck

I hate to be a negative nancy and all but....well this is the kinda bone-headed move that has over the past 2 years made be not interested in football and made me more interested in baseball.

2 years ago anything and everything the Giants did I followed. Then they won the SB. And since then its been a slow decline in performance.

Over the same time the Yanks have been picking up. I gained some respect for the sport of baseball. And my sports time was increasingly devoted to the Yanks.

And then its draft day 2010. Huge day. An impact player is going to get drafted by my team. And they take a fucking DE....the last position I though they would draft. Honestly the only position that woulda surprised me more is QB.

Way to excite the fan base going into the new stadium fucktards.

Lube, seriously how excited does any team go into a new season with a pick outside the top ten. Unless it's Tebow.

The last time the Giants were really excited about a draft pick it was Eli and he was the first.

He may not need to start right away but I think he's far from a "project". He'll join a very good solid rotation. Besides this is only one pick... tomorrow we'll bring in more talent then we'll solidify our team otherwise.

"Far from a project"????

He played 1 year in highschool, 2 years in college(one junior college). He's about as primed to play in the pros as you are. Not to mention he wanted to quit. Dude is a bust and flushed a high draft pick right down the shitter.

I really equate this pick to the Kiwanuka pick in 2006. I was texting So-Cal throughout the draft and he knows I would have rather had Morgan or Iupati, but I'm not in the Giants front office. It seems to be the Giants M.O is getting speed edge rushes, hell..they won a Superbowl with that m.o...its been successful...lets see what he can do before we label him a Mike Mamula, Cedric Jones and Jamal Reynolds.

Not happy with this pick as well. Would have taken Lupati in a heartbeat at 15. This kid is a definite bust. I don't care right now that we have other positions in need because he is so raw of a player he can play just about any of them. The worst part is we spend the next couple of years teaching him shit he should already know, and winds up on another team when he's finally NFL quality.

Yeah you can't teach athleticism though. Won't help keeping the bench warm either.

Lube, seriously how excited does any team go into a new season with a pick outside the top ten. Unless it's Tebow.

The last time the Giants were really excited about a draft pick it was Eli and he was the first.

If it is a pick from a position that you know the guy has a shot starting at then there is at least some excitement. When its a pick at a position you already have 3 guys ahead of him then its a "WTF" moment.

The Kiwi pick I could even get behind cause Strah was retiring and overall the team didn't have that many needs. This team has one huge gaping need at LB. And it was a middle of the 1st pick not back of the 1st pick like Kiwis. There had to be SOME talent on the board that was more useful than a 4th DE.

what a fucking terrible pick. you pick someone who can help you win this year, this guy obviously isn't going to see the field. we have a hard time getting the 3 de's we have now on the field.

You're assuming we're keeping the 3 DEs we already have... secondly.. we need a rotation. Have you forgot how much the QB had in the box?

Ok so need a LB.... but the man we coveted was gone... what LB would you pick at 15 that you can't get in the 2nd round?

You're assuming we're keeping the 3 DEs we already have... secondly.. we need a rotation. Have you forgot how much the QB had in the box?

Ok so need a LB.... but the man we coveted was gone... what LB would you pick at 15 that you can't get in the 2nd round?

Weatherspoon was available.

I would rather have him then the kid the Eagles traded up to get.

Coughlin:

“Let’s play,” Coughlin said. “Everybody is going to have a chance to contribute. We didn’t rush the passer well last year. Let’s go back to doing the things we did well a couple of years ago. It’s let’s stop talking and go play.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/untested_jpp_adds_to_giants_pass_okE2wNGrnsUOQFHOJAcKMM#ixzz0lvUXWfn2

Pass rush: Lined up on both sides of the defensive line (and stood up as an outside linebacker) and has the length, effort and closing speed to be a very good pass rusher. Has the height, length and excellent vertical jump to clog passing lanes. Gets to the pocket in a hurry against most tackles, but struggles to turn the corner against better linemen because of a lack of flexibility. Flashes ability to beat tight ends with quickness but is not consistent. Very raw in his pass-rush technique -- only capable of going outside and can bull rush effectively against lesser competition. Does not get off blocks to offer a secondary rush. Dances on the edge, even when running backs meet him to chip. Not effective on twists.

Run defense: Only fair change-of-direction agility for his size; he ends up on the ground too often when ballcarriers elude him. Uses his length and good effort to grab running backs coming through the hole if not engaged. Hustles to plays run away from him or downfield when fresh, but isn't fast enough to chase down running backs or mobile quarterbacks from behind. Does not know how to use his hands to get off blocks from tackles or tight ends. Often on the sideline in short-yardage situations because can't get low or stand his ground against strong tackles.

Explosion: Explodes out of his stance when rushing the passer out of a three-point stance, especially if the quarterback does not change up the snap count. Little pop into his man's jersey playing against the run game and typically was dominated by NFL-caliber tackles.

Strength: Lacks functional strength to hold up against NFL tackles, whether attempting a bull rush or stacking his man to play the run. Loses his balance when attempting to disengage on stretch plays. Easily knocked off his feet running in space. Limited stamina shows up late in games through less hustle and lost strength after initial contact.

Tackling: Drag-down tackler who uses his hustle and length to his advantage when in position to make a play. Will take a big shot at a ballcarrier if vulnerable, but is not really an explosive tackler. Is evaded too easily in the backfield because he lunges and lacks the flexibility to break down and quickly change direction.

Intangibles: Has relatively little experience on the football field. Played at three schools in three years because of academic issues. No character red flags.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1692882?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

I would rather have him then the kid the Eagles traded up to get.

Yeah, what was up with that?

The biggest winners last night were Baltimore, who basically got Anquin Boldin for free after Denver threw in the house for fucking Tebow.

and kiwi is on the last year of his contract, and will likely leave.

Exactly, we got poor performance from our line, Osi clearly isn't happy, and kiwi will likely be gone unless he is assured a starting role, and unless we trade Osi he can't be promised that.

I remember many of the people on this board were furious we drafted Nicks last year too.

I actually predicted us taking him last night, I was texting my brother in law throughout the draft, after McClain went I told him I see us taking JPP in the first, then possibly trading up for Spikes in the second, nto sure we'll have to trade up, but we might.

That's because of DT push up the middle and not DEs. The Giants desperately needed a good LB or DT and got an unnecessary DE that will almost certainly never help with the run. Osi was good before because there was middle pressure, so when he is running outside the QB gets moved into him. With no middle pressure the QB steps up and Osi is pushed past him.

I don't know how anyone can label him a bust when the kid (and I say kid cause I'm older than him by 5 months.) hasn't even played a down in the NFL yet.

I just read a quote that Jerry Reese said "You hear the analysts talk about that (boom or bust type of player) but you don't see the scouts say that." Reese has had a pretty good track record on his 1st round picks with Ross, Phillips, Nicks and now JPP.

For those of you who justified the Kiwi pick in '06, WELL...we still don't know what is going to happen to Osi and Kiwi is a free agent after this season. I have a feeling that the Giants keep Kiwi and deal Osi...Kiwi just plays the run better and last year even though he only had 3.5 sacks he led the league in QB hits. Football Outsiders

Also, lets be real here..our defensive end's weren't exactly lighting the world on fire last year, maybe it was because of injuries and maybe it was because of a defensive coordinator that shall remain nameless. (B--- S------) I think Canty and Cofield are going to come back healthy this year and collapse the pocket and allow Osi, Kiwi, JPP and Tuck to rack up the sacks. I went to the Carolina game and Canty WAS drawing double teams CONSTANTLY and he was stretching out some running plays as well...its just a shame that our linebackers were not very good. I expect Boley to come back healthy and Sintim cannot possibly be worse than Danny "I love to blitz and get the shit kicked outta me by the guard" Clark.

There's a lot of athleticism on this defensive line...it give Dave Tollefson a chance to do what he does best and that is special teams. Giants F.O say he has played both end positions and can even kick inside with Tuck on 3rd downs. Its another chance to get the "4 Aces" package that we all loved before Kiwi went down with an injury in 2007.

I wasn't in love with the player...but I did like the pick and I would have rather had Derrick Morgan who went 16 to the Titans, but Pierre-Paul is a Giant now and he has my full support as a fan. Let's see what he can do before he's called Mike Mamula, Jamal Reynolds and Jerome McDougle.

As the man said, "you can never have too many pass rusher." considering Kiwi's versatilty we could have a 4 aces program again...this is a good pick.

You'll settle down when we have some LB help. I applaud Reese's move here.. considering the injuries that Tuck and Osi have had in the last two years, this is wise... believe it

As the man said, "you can never have too many pass rusher." considering Kiwi's versatilty we could have a 4 aces program again...this is a good pick.

You'll settle down when we have some LB help. I applaud Reese's move here.. considering the injuries that Tuck and Osi have had in the last two years, this is wise... believe it

Exactly. Plus, the fact that Kiwi is a free agent after this year...its a logical pick.

That's because of DT push up the middle and not DEs. The Giants desperately needed a good LB or DT and got an unnecessary DE that will almost certainly never help with the run. Osi was good before because there was middle pressure, so when he is running outside the QB gets moved into him. With no middle pressure the QB steps up and Osi is pushed past him.

I don't think we need a DT at all. Jay Alford is back.

Exactly, we got poor performance from our line, Osi clearly isn't happy, and kiwi will likely be gone unless he is assured a starting role, and unless we trade Osi he can't be promised that.

I remember many of the people on this board were furious we drafted Nicks last year too.

I actually predicted us taking him last night, I was texting my brother in law throughout the draft, after McClain went I told him I see us taking JPP in the first, then possibly trading up for Spikes in the second, nto sure we'll have to trade up, but we might.

dude spikes is going in the 3rd round.

Sadly, he's never going to see the field, unless by "see it" you mean "view it."

exactly by time we get to use him in 2 to 3 years, he will be out of the league Paul is a fucking community college DE, he cares less about football and don't give me this well Coughlin will get him motivated, Coughlin didn't motivate the troops to well last year, and now we have another Tim Lewis at DC, I thought I was gonna like Fewell but he is running a Tampa 2 under Lewis we ran a cover 2 , and this personnel with 8 pass rushers doesn't fit too well in a Tampa 2, Oh well this kid can do backflips, that will leave Romo,McNabb and Kolb shaking in their boots, fucking backflips

It is rare when you can say this about a player taken with the 15th overall pick in the NFL Draft but it’s what general manager Jerry Reese truly believes about defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul:

“We think the guy has the biggest upside of any player in the draft,” Reese said. “That’s how we feel about this guy. We think the sky’s the limit.”

With linebacker Rolando McClain off the board early — gone to the Raiders at No. 8 — the Giants went with the highest-rated player remaining on their board.

They don’t merely pay lip-service to the notion that you can never have enough pass-rushers as last night they added another to a stable that includes Osi Umenyiora, Justin Tuck and Mathias Kiwanuka. Only two can start and now all four will be pushing for playing time.

Disgruntled Osi Umenyiora will not be traded, GM Jerry Reese said.

Before he was even asked, Reese laid to rest the swirling rumors that the addition of Pierre-Paul will pave the way for the departure of Umenyiora, who stated this offseason he wants to be traded if he isn’t returned to the starting lineup

Let’s play,” Coughlin said. “Everybody is going to have a chance to contribute. We didn’t rush the passer well last year. Let’s go back to doing the things we did well a couple of years ago. It’s let’s stop talking and go play.”

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/untested_jpp_adds_to_giants_pass_okE2wNGrnsUOQFHOJAcKMM#ixzz0lwM6cNEt