SportsWrath

Reese"No to Boldin...Price to high"

Lughead

April 16, 2009

Reese: Price too high ... at least for Boldin

Jerry Reese indicated today that the asking price for Arizona receiver Anquan Boldin may be a bit too high for the Giants, but he admitted there are at least a few available receivers who might be worth it.

And though he didn’t use the words “Braylon Edwards” it wasn’t all that difficult to read between the lines.

“For the right player, you do whatever you can to make it happen,” Reese said, in response to a question about the Cardinals looking for at least a first- and a third-round pick in return for Boldin. “I don’t know if that’s the best thing for us to do, to package up a deal that valuable. We like our draft picks. We like developing players. We won’t force anything.”

Asked if that would be forcing it for Boldin, Reese said “It could be.”

Asked if it would be too high a price for anyone, Reese said “Maybe not for anybody available. There’s a couple guys that might be worth that price.”

The Giants, as you know, have already engaged the Cleveland Browns in talks about Edwards. Reese didn’t address Edwards specifically, other than to say there were “a lot of chatter and a lot of false reports” out there. But Browns GM George Kokinis admitted the two discussed Edwards back in February, and several NFL sources said talks between the two were recently renewed.

The Browns reportedly have at least one offer on the table for Edwards that includes a first-round draft pick. While it’s not known whether the Giants have actually offered their first-rounder (29th overall), one source said it’s not out of the question that they will.

“If it’s best for us to trade our No. 1 pick, I’ll do that,” Reese said. “I’m not against that.”

But Reese said several times that “We’re not going to try to force anything,” especially when it comes to the receiver position. He seems extremely comfortable with the receivers the Giants have on their roster - - specifically Steve Smith, Domenik Hixon and Mario Manningham - - and said several times that the Giants can win without a “big” receiver like Plaxico Burress.

“I think people are panicked a little bit about receiver,” he said. “We’re not panicked about it.

“You’d like to have a big Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson … you’d like to have those types of guys,” Reese added. “But Larry Fitzgerald’s team didn’t win the Super Bowl. Almost is not good enough in this league. He was outstanding, but his team didn’t win. There are other ways to do it.”

One other Boldin/Edwards-related note. The Browns, according to a source, would really love to land defensive end Mathias Kiwanuka as part of a deal with the Giants for Edwards. Several Giants sources have said they will not trade Kiwanuka. And Reese certainly appeared to echo that sentiment today.

“Anything can happen in personnel, but I don’t think you work so hard to try to shore up your defensive front and make it deep, and then you give them away as soon as you get them,” Reese said, when asked if he’d consider dealing one of his “top seven” defensive linemen. “I don’t think we’re interested in doing that. But anything can happen in personnel.”

By Ralph Vacchiano on April 16, 2009 12:33 PM

Andre Johnson... Calvin Johnson :evilgrin:

"hey when you finish 0-16 you need all the #3 picks you can take to rebuild" - That would be my angle :TU:

"hey when you finish 0-16 you need all the #3 picks you can take to rebuild" - That would be my angle :TU:

Trading for Calvin Johnson would be awesome. Especially looking at this year WR class. There's no one in the draft that come remotely close to C. Johnson ability.

I would give our #1 and Hixon for Braylon. Then I would give our extra 2nd, our third, and our extra 5th to move back in the 1st round.

Then we would have Braylon plus we would still have one pick in each round (we would still have a third rounder due to the compensatory pick).

Anyone feel that wouldn't get it done for Edwards? Perhaps a 5th needs to be thrown in to get it done? In which case we can still have enough picks to move back into the first.

Trading for Calvin Johnson would be awesome. Especially looking at this year WR class. There's no one in the draft that come remotely close to C. Johnson ability.

OK, that is how crazy rumors start that aren't based in reality! Detroit is not going to trade this generation's Jerry Rice.

As far as Boldin goes, Reese is not going to even remotely give away his hand.

Its not out of the realm of possibility. The Giants have lots of picks and some players

that they can part with if the situation is right.

It wouldnt suprise me at all if Bolden would become a Giant.

Same with B. Edwards.

Is there anybody out there who thinks the Giants are happy with the receiving core as is? Another good question is does anybody think the Giants can even win 8 games with the current group?

THe short answer is NO !!

Heres why:

Eli Manning even though mister clutch has accuracy problems

and he needs a big target than can go after the inacurate throws

he some times makes. Eli is a bit streaky in that regard.

Without that type of receiver D's will load up on the run.

If they wanna another Lombardi, that has to happen.

Our current group will not cut it. Hixon cant do it, Smith is a slot 3rd down man

and Manningham is totally not proven in any regard.

THe short answer is NO !!

Heres why:

Eli Manning even though mister clutch has accuracy problems

and he needs a big target than can go after the inacurate throws

he some times makes. Eli is a bit streaky in that regard.

Without that type of receiver D's will load up on the run.

If they wanna another Lombardi, that has to happen.

Our current group will not cut it. Hixon cant do it, Smith is a slot 3rd down man

and Manningham is totally not proven in any regard.

Why has this become the popular thing to label Steve Smith as? Why is he only a slot/3rd down man, because that's all he's played so far in his career? I think Smith is going to make a fantastic No. 2 receiver. He was behind Plax and Toomer the past two years, then got thrown into an offense that couldn't adjust it's philosophy once it lost Plax. I just don't get how a receiver gets a label like that 2 years into his career. He runs great routes, has shown good hands and a good work ethic. I guess I don't see the limiting factors others here see.

Why has this become the popular thing to label Steve Smith as? Why is he only a slot/3rd down man, because that's all he's played so far in his career? I think Smith is going to make a fantastic No. 2 receiver. He was behind Plax and Toomer the past two years, then got thrown into an offense that couldn't adjust it's philosophy once it lost Plax. I just don't get how a receiver gets a label like that 2 years into his career. He runs great routes, has shown good hands and a good work ethic. I guess I don't see the limiting factors others here see.

Some of us (like myself) are just judging by what we see on the football field. Us amateur scouts don't see the natural ability in Smith of a #1 receiver. He does work hard, runs great routes, and has very good hands, all true. But he doesn't have size, doesn't have big jumping ability, is not a big after the catch threat, is not exceptionally fast making him a limited vertical threat. These things limit his ceiling. Can he be a productive weapon? Absolutely, and I really like him for our future. But his ceiling is a #2 possession guy. And that's his ceiling. So, in a perfect world, he would be a slot guy, because in a perfect world, we would have a true #1 receiver and a #2 that has SOME #1 receiver tools... Kind of like Boldin and Fitzgerald in Arizona. Fitz is a real deal #1 receiver, and Boldin has enough tools of a #1 that he can step in that role if called upon, and is highly productive when Fitz gets all the attention.

In summation he could be a #2 for us, but in a more potent Giants offense that we all want, we would like to see him as a 3rd WR with two guys in front of him with more natural ability (hopefully one being Braylon Edwards, IMO). But of course we still want Smith to be an important part of the offense, still.

I agree, Smith is easily going to be our number two WR for the future.

We just need to get a number one now...

Some of us (like myself) are just judging by what we see on the football field. Us amateur scouts don't see the natural ability in Smith of a #1 receiver. He does work hard, runs great routes, and has very good hands, all true. But he doesn't have size, doesn't have big jumping ability, is not a big after the catch threat, is not exceptionally fast making him a limited vertical threat. These things limit his ceiling. Can he be a productive weapon? Absolutely, and I really like him for our future. But his ceiling is a #2 possession guy. And that's his ceiling. So, in a perfect world, he would be a slot guy, because in a perfect world, we would have a true #1 receiver and a #2 that has SOME #1 receiver tools... Kind of like Boldin and Fitzgerald in Arizona. Fitz is a real deal #1 receiver, and Boldin has enough tools of a #1 that he can step in that role if called upon, and is highly productive when Fitz gets all the attention.

In summation he could be a #2 for us, but in a more potent Giants offense that we all want, we would like to see him as a 3rd WR with two guys in front of him with more natural ability (hopefully one being Braylon Edwards, IMO). But of course we still want Smith to be an important part of the offense, still.

Well.....it sounds like you sort of agree with me here. I never saw him as a #1 receiver because he just doesn't fit the mold. Even when I think back to Toomer being our #1 it surprises me. He certainly doesn't fit that mold either. I definately think #2 is his ceiling, but that isn't a bad thing. He does have some speed and runs great routes which will get him the separation he needs. He also has good hands and I see him having some huge games for the G-men in the future.

As far as Fitz and Boldin goes, that is almost a perfect storm, which doesn't happen often and doesn't look like it will stay together either. Most teams don't have a #1, let alone 2 of them. Some teams luck out for a few years (Harrison-Wayne, Bruce-Holt, Johnson-TJ [for a short while]) but that certainly isn't the norm.

Well.....it sounds like you sort of agree with me here. I never saw him as a #1 receiver because he just doesn't fit the mold. Even when I think back to Toomer being our #1 it surprises me. He certainly doesn't fit that mold either. I definately think #2 is his ceiling, but that isn't a bad thing. He does have some speed and runs great routes which will get him the separation he needs. He also has good hands and I see him having some huge games for the G-men in the future.

As far as Fitz and Boldin goes, that is almost a perfect storm, which doesn't happen often and doesn't look like it will stay together either. Most teams don't have a #1, let alone 2 of them. Some teams luck out for a few years (Harrison-Wayne, Bruce-Holt, Johnson-TJ [for a short while]) but that certainly isn't the norm.

It's not the norm but it's something we should try to aspire to and hope for. If we get Braylon, and then draft a WR in the first 2 rounds, like Kenny Britt or Louis Murphy, or just catch lightning in a bottle with a later pick or maybe even Manningham, we can have a dynamic passing offense with Smith as the #3 guy, to go with bone crushing defense and a fearsome running game. Why not have it all? We are so close already!

It's my opinion that the Giants needed a makeover at WR like the Mets needed a bullpen makeover from last year. You replace Plax and Toomer with Braylon and a young guy like a Louis Murphy, and you also have Smith and Manningham (perhaps Hixon and Moss), all of a sudden you go from a wr corps that ended the season with no big guy or vertical threat, with a player with age concerns (Toomer) to a young, athletic, dynamic corps that can challenge teams vertically, can get jump balls, and a corps that can also move the chains. I would be ecstatic.

I'm really high on Louis Murphy this week, btw. I think that dude is going to be a stud in the NFL. He is so fast but has an NFL body at 6'3", with room for bulk. His college numbers suffered because of Tebow's style of play, but I think this guy might make an elite NFL receiver.

I literally jump for joy in a very gay way if we landed either one of those guys. Those might very well be the two best receivers in the league. I could see the Lions possibly making a deal, but the Texans aren't that far away from being a ligit playoff team.

Boldin on possible trade: ‘I want to get it resolved’

Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Anquan Boldin, Arizona Cardinals, New York Giants, New York Jets

One day after the Arizona Cardinals said they would listen to trade offers for Anquan Boldin, the Pro Bowl wide receiver appeared on The Michael Irvin Show on ESPN Radio in Dallas and talked about his future. This according to The Dallas Morning News:

Boldin said he’s open to getting traded to any team, especially to the NFC East, where the Eagles and Giants need an elite receiver.

Boldin, who said he just has a player-coach relationship with former Cardinals (offensive) coordinator Todd Haley, said he wouldn’t mind playing for him in Kansas City.

As for getting traded, Boldin said: “I just want to get it resolved. It’s been going on way too long.” Later, he said: “It would hurt, but at the same time, change is necessary. My only problem has been management, always has been.”

Giants general manager Jerry Reese told reporters that “we won’t force anything” in a possible trade for Boldin. The New York Daily News reports that the city’s other team, the Jets, have called the Cardinals about Boldin.

The Baltimore Sun, citing a league source, also reports that the Ravens have expressed interest in Boldin. The Sun asked Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome if the team had contacted the Cardinals about Boldin. His response: “With the draft coming up, I’ve had a chance to talk to eight different teams over the past 48 hours.”

What I don't understand is, why not at least go with a cheap FA such as Reggie Williams or D.J. Hackett? Sure, they're not Plax, but we need a replacement for Toomer as well. We lost two key WR this offseason.

With Smith & Hixon at 2 & 3 and a fist full of draft picks I can see them just going hard for a great #1 then picking up some camp hopefuls to round out the roster.

With Smith & Hixon at 2 & 3 and a fist full of draft picks I can see them just going hard for a great #1 then picking up some camp hopefuls to round out the roster.

I've considered that. The fact that we're probably goind to draft a WR high in the draft, but still think we should pick up one mid-career veteran reciever on the cheap. It's not just any two WRs to replace, we have two starting WRs to replace.

Damn if he went to KC, they would suddenly have a pretty sick recieving corps.

And if Cassell is the real deal, dayummm.

i dont get KC. they already had a qb and they already had two good starting wr's.