Spag's

Lughead

SPAGNUOLO, TEAMS CAN TALK

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Last updated: 6:45 am

December 25, 2008

Posted: 2:02 am

December 25, 2008

Teams interested in interviewing defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo about a head-coaching job last season could not speak with him during the bye-week window set aside for such conversations. The reason? The Giants New York Giants did not have a bye in the playoffs, and thus Spagnuolo was off-limits until after the Super Bowl.

NEXT UP: VIKINGS (PHOTOS)

PLAY POST PICK 'EM

As the No. 1 seed in the NFC, the Giants have a bye next week, and Spagnuolo, following the regular-season finale in Minnesota, can interview with anyone who wants to meet with him. There will be a long list of teams looking for new coaches, and Spagnuolo is likely to be at or near the top of many of those lists.

"Well, I have given it no thought," Spagnuolo said yesterday. "I will say that. I will give it the thought or address it when it happens. I have too much respect for Coach Coughlin, John Mara and the Tisch family to really even worry about it right now."

No thought?

"I have to figure out what I am going to buy my wife for Christmas; I have a lot of things going on right now," he joked. "Whenever it creeps up, I don't entertain it, I just try to stay focused on what we are doing here."

The Giants did not want to lose Spagnuolo last year - he interviewed with the Redskins and would have been hired, but he took himself out of contention - and he was rewarded with a $2 million per year contract. Tom Coughlin is under contract through the 2011 season and never has stated he will retire after that. The Giants will not make Spagnuolo a head coach-in-waiting, mainly because it's too long a wait and they would not in any way undermine Coughlin.

"We'll do everything we can to try to get him to stay," co-owner John Mara said, "but at some point the right offer is going to come along from somebody and he's going to have to consider that."

:(

Who didnt see this coming?

He's #1 in every single head coaching candidate article I have read, if we are able to keep him this year it will take alot of persuasion and alot of $$$ guarantee.

You know.. Just like anyone.. I don't want to lose Spags... but look at the Patriots. Didn't they lose their coordinators? They're still dominant. The trick is for the Giants to find another stud DC.

You know.. Just like anyone.. I don't want to lose Spags... but look at the Patriots. Didn't they lose their coordinators? They're still dominant. The trick is for the Giants to find another stud DC.

Easier said than done... Look how long it took us to replace John Fox.

Oh don't get me wrong I would LOVE for the Giants and Spags to basically come out and say "He will be our D-Cord for the next 11 years" however with the nature of the business all...well maybe not all but most coordinators want to be a head coach at sometime.

I hate losing players/coaches...maybe it's the homer in me.

Oh don't get me wrong I would LOVE for the Giants and Spags to basically come out and say "He will be our D-Cord for the next 11 years" however with the nature of the business all...well maybe not all but most coordinators want to be a head coach at sometime.

I hate losing players/coaches...maybe it's the homer in me.

It's absolutley the homer in you. I cant, for the life of me, understand why anyone would want to leave the NY Football Giants. With what Spags has done and what this team has accomplished, I dont see why he would want to be anywhere but here. Money? Fuck money, he's a Giant. Thats far more valuable than anything. :)

OK, I'm back. Back from fantasyland. <_<

Why should a DC be any different than a player? You signed a contract, you should have to honor it. Why would we even allow him to talk to anyone?

There are some stipulations. He can't interview during game weeks, he can't leave us for an equal or lesser job. It wouldn't be right to deny the man a promotion just because we aren't willing to give it to him.

Well there is always hope and at least he stated he hasn't been thinking about it at all. There are a few DCs that never left, Steelers and Bucks come to mind, and he may want to stay a few more years on a winning team or gain more experience. It would probably be in his best interest to gain more experience and wait a year or two more, it's only his second year as DC.

We've lost John Fox,Sean Payton and Bill Belichick over the past few years, just to name a few. I think we could look at Romeo Crennel who is definently gone, he comes from the Parcells/Bellichick tree and worked here as assistant and defensive line coach winning two super bowls, then three with New England. Crennel is not head coach material but is a great DC. Crennel has also worked with Chris Palmer (our current QB coach) who is from the Coughlin tree it's all six degrees of seperation and would make sense. Spagnuolo i think goes to Minnesota, Zygi Wolf is a die hard Giant fan, Brad Childress is all but gone, after we beat them Sunday

Because everyone is entitled to seek better pay...

No they are not, Im forced to honor any contract I sign. No one forced him to sign more than a one year deal. Seriously, Id fire Coughlin and give Spags the job if it came down to it. He's 90% of the reason we are where we are.

No they are not, Im forced to honor any contract I sign. No one forced him to sign more than a one year deal. Seriously, Id fire Coughlin and give Spags the job if it came down to it. He's 90% of the reason we are where we are.

People are forced to honor contracts in the real world of things.

Athletes dont need to honor anything in todays day and age of professional sports...it's all about the $$$ for 98% of the league.

Coughlin is the only reason Spagnulo IS a defensive coordinator. What happens if Spags' sucks

as a head coach? Has anyone every thought of that?

Coughlin is the only reason Spagnulo IS a defensive coordinator. What happens if Spags' sucks

as a head coach? Has anyone every thought of that?

Right on. Coughlin put this team of coaches together.. and being a successful DC doesn't always translate into being a successful HC.

football contracts are legally different than any one you would sign. he's completely legal for him to take a better job if he gets an offer. it wouldn't legally be considered a breach

Right on. Coughlin put this team of coaches together.. and being a successful DC doesn't always translate into being a successful HC.

Coughlin was about to get kicked to the curb, and him hiring Spags saved his ass, lets not forget about that.

football contracts are legally different than any one you would sign. he's completely legal for him to take a better job if he gets an offer. it wouldn't legally be considered a breach

Then why did the Giants have to give him permission?

Then why did the Giants have to give him permission?

because there is no offer. if someone wanted to just offer him a contract for a better position w/o interviewing him he could technically take it and leave the team right now

Coughlin was about to get kicked to the curb, and him hiring Spags saved his ass, lets not forget about that.

And no one is disputing that.. both guys benefited from one another. As much as we'd love for spags to stay, you just can't tell the guy he can't go chase millions.. And if the Giants like him that much then they should outbid other teams.