SportsWrath

Spag's

Lughead

Report: Jets ask to interview New York Giants' Spagnuolo

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Monday December 29, 2008, 7:12 PM

9:46 p.m. UPDATE I'm told ESPN 1050-AM had this before Glazer. If so, apologies about the slight. Wasn't listening to the station today.

Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com is reporting the Jets have asked the Giants for permission to interview Steve Spagnuolo. The Giants are not confirming whether any teams have made requests to talk to Spagnuolo.

Remember what I said earlier: the Jets are one situation to watch carefully

Read the comments in the LINK

The Lions Asked Permission to talk to Spag's saw it on ESPN ticker

They dont have chance in hell He wont commit Career suicide In Detroit, hell He wouldn't do it in Washington .

What's so bad in Detroit? Spags would have NO expectations at all and could work at his

own pace. Shit, they only way the Lions can go is up (hopefully).

MUSINGS ON THE SPAGNUOLO SITUATION

by Pat Traina

Like everyone else, I've been following the annual NFL head coaching carousel with interest, and in particular the interest around the league in Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. For those who haven't' been closely following the various reports, here's how things are said to be shaping up and, for good measure, I've thrown in my two cents on the various reports.

St. Louis. Reportedly the Rams didn't want to pony up the moneythat Spags is likely to command as a first-year head coach. He currently makes $2M per season with the Giants, so figure as a head coach, he'd probably get double if not triple that amount, which would be a gamble for a franchise ownership that has reportedly contemplated selling its shares in this dreadful economy.

Cleveland. The Browns are said to be interested in Spagnuolo, and in fact were said to have met with him already, but I don't think they make a move to hire him until they bring a general manager on board.

New England's VP of Player Personnel, Scott Pioli, has reportedly been interviewed and offered the Browns' GM job. If Pioli takes the job, the Boston Herald reports that Iowa's head coach Kirk Ferentz is at the top of Pioli's very short list of head coaching candidates.

The bottom line, though is I don't see the Browns jumping on any head coaching candidates until they put a GM in place. And if that GM is Pioli, I would be surprised if Spags gets to the next round of interviews for that job.

Jets.With all due respect to Brett Favre, who is a legendary quarterback, his presence in New York has not gone as expected. And now, as we prepare to enter yet another off-season of "will he or won't he?", the longer Favre takes to decide his future, the bigger the problem for the next coaching staff.

Let's say Favre waits until March or April to decide whether he's coming back. Not only is that going to impact what the Jets can do in free agency (I believe Favre will count for $13M against next year's cap), it will also probably affect the design of a new offensive play book.

With new stadium PSL sales reportedly not going well for the Jets, my gut tells me that Jets management tries to entice Favre's return for at least one more year and the sooner the better. Yet if they do allow him to come back, they create a situation that is not the best for a new head coach looking to show he's not jut a one-hit wonder as a coordinator.

I'm not saying that Spags couldn't handle the situation, but it's all about choosing the right circumstances for your career, and I don't think the circumstances as I described above would be the right situation. And let's all remember the lesson we learned when the great Bill Belichick's first head coaching gig, with Cleveland ended in disaster because at the time of his hiring, the circumstances were not fully in his favor.

Denver.This is the team that worries me the most, as in talking about ideal circumstances, I think the Broncos offer the best scenario. Denver seems to need some minor re-tweaking, unlike the other franchises that are courting Spags.

The Broncos seem to be leaning toward bringing in a defensive minded coachto fix their struggling team, which puts Spags high up on the list. According to a report by Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, Denver is scheduled to meet with Spags on Saturday.

Denver is also reportedly looking at Tampa's newly named defensive coordinator, Raheem Morris, but I really think Spags has the advantage over Morris if it comes down to a two-man race given his experience and the fact he has a Super Bowl under his belt.

The one thing that might come into play here, though, is what the Broncos decide to do with their GM position. Remember, former head coach Mike Shanahan had final say over football personnel. I don't think that Denver owner Pat Bowlen would extend the same offer to a new head coach, and if that's the case, then Denver is pretty much in the same boat as Cleveland with regards to first getting a GM on board and THEN bringing in a head coach.

However, Denver might decide to bypass hiring a GM considering they will have to still pay Shanahan the balance of his contract if he doesn't land employment elsewhere. So that remains to be seen what they will do. Quite frankly, I can't see the Broncos giving a rookie head coach complete say over the personnel decisions, but that's not to say they won't roll the dice on the right guy.

Oakland. Al Davis has been unusually quiet about his head coaching position. Many observers believe that he won't bring back Tom Cable, and in fact there has been some speculation that Davis is interested in Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride. But then again, Davis has made a name for himself by being unpredictable, so who's to say he won't make an 11th hour run at Spags or even decide to keep Cable?

Detroit. The Lions, who are also said to be interested in Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Miami assistant Todd Bowles, are another team who are said to have met with Spagnuolo on New Year 's day, but my guess is that given the way the Lions are structured, the Lions won't be finalists for Spags' services. Besides, it remains to be seen if the revamped Detroit front office (which has President Tom Lewand and GM Martin Mayhew), can recover from the mess left behind by the previous regime.

Also, Detroit is said to be looking to add a third member of the front office football operations, though it is owner William Clay Ford who will ultimately have the final say over who the next head coach of his team will be. My feeling has always been that it can be a tricky situation to walk into a job not knowing who you are going to be working with up front and when there are too many chefs in the kitchen. So I don't think the Lions are the right fit for Spags.

A couple of final thoughts for now. First, if Miami's Bill Parcells does indeed have the itch to return to coaching, he will almost certainly leapfrog over all of the eligible candidates. Parcells can get out of his contract with Miami if owner Wayne Huizenga decides to give up control of the team to Stephen Ross. So don't rule that possibility out especially considering Parcells doesn't seem to stay very long with franchises these days.

And I wouldn't count out Marty Schottenheimer or Bill Cower just yet as with the right offer, I think one or both could be enticed to come back to coaching.

If all else fails, the best scenario Giants fans can hope for is that the team remains alive through the Super Bowl. The reason is that no NFL teams with head coaching vacancies can offer any head coaching positions to prospects whose current teams are still in competition for the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

Since many teams usually like to put a coaching staff in place by the end of January so they can prepare for the upcoming college all-star games and NFL Combine that take place in late January – February, the longer the Giants remain in the playoffs, the better chance they have at retaining Spags.

Giants' Spagnuolo high on Broncos' list

By Mike Klis

The Denver Post

He was married in the Vatican, which figures to be no trivial matter to a Catholic named Pat Bowlen.

His New York Giants defense accumulated 95 sacks the past two seasons, and that doesn't include the five times New England quarterback Tom Brady was dumped in Super Bowl XLII.

His name is Steve Spagnuolo, and he just may be the Broncos' No. 1 choice to succeed Mike Shanahan as head coach.

Spagnuolo is among the candidates on the Broncos' shortlist of coaching vacancies, the team confirmed Thursday.

The Giants' defensive coordinator the past two seasons, Spagnuolo, 49, could be viewed as the ideal alter ego to Mike Shanahan, who was the Broncos' offensive-minded head coach for 14 seasons until he was dismissed Tuesday.

Besides Spagnuolo, the Broncos have also received permission to interview Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels and Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive coordinator Raheem Morris, both 32.

The Broncos also have requested permission to interview Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. The dark horse remains Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops.

Two NFL sources confirmed that the Broncos have attempted to contact the Sooners' coach, who is preparing for his fourth NCAA title game this decade.

Bowlen, the Broncos' owner, and Joe Ellis, the team's chief operating officer, will fly east this weekend to begin the interview process. The Broncos will meet with Spagnuolo on Saturday night in the New York area and will interview McDaniels on Sunday in the Boston area.

Bowlen and Ellis also are scheduled to sit down with Morris, who was recently promoted by Tampa Bay from defensive backs coach to defensive coordinator. As of Thursday night, the Broncos have yet to receive permission to interview Garrett, the hot head coaching candidate last season.

Garrett turned down head coaching offers from the Baltimore Ravens and Atlanta Falcons last year so he could return to the Cowboys, who made him the league's highest-paid coordinator with a $3 million salary. A year later, the Ravens and Falcons are in the playoffs while the Cowboys stayed home with a 9-7 record.

The No. 1 head coaching candidate this year is Spagnuolo, and it's no surprise the Broncos are interviewing him first. The Broncos contingent will meet with Spagnuolo after he interviews earlier Saturday with the New York Jets for their head coaching vacancy.

Although Spagnuolo is making $2 million a year with the Giants, he and his wife, Maria, are spiritual, nonmaterialistic people who are not expected make money a top priority as they weigh the offers that are certain to come their way.

Four years ago, the Spagnuolos eloped to Italy, where they got married at the Vatican. Bowlen, embarrassed by his team's frequent brushes with the law before the 2008 season, has made character a top priority for his new coach. He also would like someone who can straighten out his defense.

The Broncos ranked 30th in scoring defense in 2008 and 28th in 2007. A consistent pass rush has been a problem for years, but it happens to be Spagnuolo's forte. Groomed by Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, considered the league's most aggressive defensive coach, Spagnuolo reshaped the Giants' defense last season to one that led the league in sacks.

Spagnuolo became a hot commodity after his Giants stymied the Patriots' offense, which during the regular season had scored an NFL record 589 points, during a 17-14 upset victory in Super Bowl XLII.

Within days after that Super Bowl triumph, Spagnuolo was offered the head coaching position by the Washington Redskins, but he turned it down to return to the Giants, who are the odds-on favorites to come out of the NFC and return to the Super Bowl this year.

Coaching candidates from teams with a strong chance to reach the Super Bowl generally are hired before their second-round playoff game, so there's a chance Bowlen and Ellis will quickly move through their search process next week.

Elway's going to be GM there. That's a losing proposition for any coach. Not that I don't like Elway but nothing could ever be his fault with the endearing mile high fans,

Although Spagnuolo is making $2 million a year with the Giants, he and his wife, Maria, are spiritual, nonmaterialistic people who are not expected make money a top priority as they weigh the offers that are certain to come their way.

yea right.

Elway's going to be GM there. That's a losing proposition for any coach. Not that I don't like Elway but nothing could ever be his fault with the endearing mile high fans,

yea right.

Yeah....I am a Christian and I think even Jesus would say give me an f'ing break on that not about the money BS. :rolleyes:

yea right.

Just because money might be your "God" (and I'm not saying it is) doesn't mean that it is for everyone. Believe it or not, some people value some things more than money.

I wouldn't be so cynical. I'm sure Spags could've gotten more money to be a HC last offseason than he is making. If he really was all about money, he'd already be gone.

Just because money might be your "God" (and I'm not saying it is) doesn't mean that it is for everyone. Believe it or not, some people value some things more than money.

I wouldn't be so cynical. I'm sure Spags could've gotten more money to be a HC last offseason than he is making. If he really was all about money, he'd already be gone.

i don't have a god. let me just say that it's easier not to be materialistic when you're making 2 million.

Update on the Spags

by

Pat Traina

Interview Process As you know, defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo interviewed with the Jets this afternoon and is scheduled to meet with team of officials from the Denver Broncos tonight.

One interesting note though about Spags' interview with the Jets, which was reported by Adam Schefter of the NFL Network, is that owner Woody Johnson was NOT present for the Spagnuolo interview, as Johnson is on vacation out of the country.

Why is this significant? Because supposedly the Jets coaching search is going to be a collaborative effort between GM Mike Tannenbaum and Johnson. So while I suppose it's possible that Tannenbaum is doing all the pre-screening of the candidates and is reporting back to Johnson on those he recommends for further interview, it was still interesting to learn of this little detail considering most of the other teams in need of a head coaching search have their owners involved in the preliminary stages.

Also, Schefter reported that the Oakland Raiders did indeed receive permission from the Giants to interview offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride, this just five days after Raiders senior executive John Herrera called reports of the team's interest in Gilbride as "false and unfounded."

According to Schefter's report, the Oakland interview was done over the phone as Raiders owner Al Davis has been battling a knee injury which forced him to miss his team's regualr season finale last week. Gilbride is believed to be the first candidate on Davis' radar.

by Tom Rock

Here's a blog from NFL.com's Adam Schefter about the possibility of the Giants offering Spagnuolo some kind of head coach-in-waiting position.

My instinct is that this will not happen. Tom Coughlin is signed through the 2011 season and when he signed his extension this offseason his agent said he didn't believe this would be Coughlin's final contract. The Giants don't seem to be likely to push Coughlin out, even though he would be 65 at the end of that run. Spagnuolo would be 52 at the start of the 2012 season.

Then again, the Giants do want Spags to stick around. This may be one way to keep him.

Adam Schefter Spagnuolo impressive, but Broncos favor McDaniels

Posted: Adam Schefter

Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo comes with rave reviews. He greatly impressed the Broncos executives he had dinner with Saturday night in New Jersey, and it wouldn't be overly surprising to see him wind up with the job.

But most league insiders believe Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, the coach the Broncos are interviewing Sunday morning, is the leader for the Denver job.

For starters, McDaniels is at the stage in his career now that Dan Reeves was when the Broncos made him the youngest head coach back in 1981. Owner Pat Bowlen bought the team in 1984 and stayed with Reeves for nearly a decade.

When Bowlen later hired Shanahan in 1995 (after a two-year stint with defensive-minded Wade Phillips), the owner once again was drawn to the coach's youth and offensive imagination.

And, at 32, McDaniels would bring Bowlen the same attributes his two primary coaching hires have. Plus, as the Patriots' play-caller and offensive mastermind with defensive-minded head coach Bill Belichick, McDaniels got the most out of quarterback Matt Cassel. Just imagine what McDaniels could do with Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler.

Denver still will go through an exhaustive interview process. But league insiders believe McDaniels is the coach to beat.

Adam Schefter Jets considering Billick in head-coaching search

Posted: Adam Schefter

It isn't easy for anything or anyone in New York to fly under the radar. But one candidate for the Jets' vacant head-coaching job has.

Very quietly, the Jets have reached out to Brian Billick and thrown him into the mix of their head-coaching search. They are planning to interview Billick this week, and one league source said the former Ravens coach is "a viable candidate for the Jets' job."

Apparently, the Jets aren't the only ones to contact Billick. The Detroit Lions, according to another source, also have.

Reaching out to Billick makes sense on a number of levels. Rarely are coaches with Super Bowl wins on their resume available for hire. Also, Baltimore still owes Billick two more years of salary to the tune of about $5 million per season, putting the coach on sale for any team that hires him.

And lastl,y there's this stat: Nine of the past 11 Super Bowls were won by coaches who had been fired from their previous job. Billick falls into that category, along with many coaches now receiving interviews. He also falls into the Jets' sphere of interest.

Some league insiders believe Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is the favorite for the job, but Billick can't be dismissed.

Is Spag's getting closer to staying home?

With all that money we saved on Giec......I mean Plax I am sure we can throw more money his way when it comes down to it. Even though he is the highest payed DC in the league.

Coaches aren't included in the salary cap. If Plax is released, that money will have no relationship to our coaching staff

yea right.

Spags saves tonnes of cash by buying all of his clothes in the kids section.