SportsWrath

Antonio Pierce...god he sucks

MakeMeSomeFoodHo

He needs to come out on passing situations, he's too much of a liability out there.

teams can pretty much throw 8-12 yard passes over the middle at will with AP out there. He is really tough to watch. He is probably the worst starting MLB in the NFL. Its painful to watch him try and cover somebody. I agee, they should just put Kenny Phillips in his place on passing downs

teams can pretty much throw 8-12 yard passes over the middle at will with AP out there. He is really tough to watch. He is probably the worst starting MLB in the NFL. Its painful to watch him try and cover somebody. I agee, they should just put Kenny Phillips in his place on passing downs

I would then throw a screen play at you...could you imagine a lineman smashing Phillips....Pierce would hold up better.

I would then throw a screen play at you...could you imagine a lineman smashing Phillips....Pierce would hold up better.

Phillips isnt that small..at least he doesnt look that small. Pierce is a fat guy so I see what you mean, but I dont think Phillips would be that bad.

He's a good run LB..and is the captain/playcaller of the D.....unfortunately he is the best LB we have at pass coverage. I think it has more to do with his supporting cast then anything else, I mean the LBs around him would be back ups on any other team and he has to contend with being the only true LB out there.

I think once we actually get him a solid LB beside him who can cover those TEs he can stay free to roam over the middle or be there to stuff the run. Besides I don't see us replacing the only starting LB we have anytime soon...we need to get two outside LBs first.

He's a good run LB..and is the captain/playcaller of the D.....unfortunately he is the best LB we have at pass coverage. I think it has more to do with his supporting cast then anything else, I mean the LBs around him would be back ups on any other team and he has to contend with being the only true LB out there.

I think once we actually get him a solid LB beside him who can cover those TEs he can stay free to roam over the middle or be there to stuff the run. Besides I don't see us replacing the only starting LB we have anytime soon...we need to get two outside LBs first.

Like when Mitchell was one of the LBs? :brooding:

I don't think there's any doubt we'll be on the market for a linebacker or two, including a MLB. Pierce has gotten as far as his dedicated film study and headiness can take him. Unfortunately, his preparation is much greater than his athleticism.

Good point about him potentially helping us more as a coach. I'm sure he's thinking about going that way - but not yet. He's not worth the cap space in a reduced role, so he's either our starter or he's gone. And emotional and volatile as he can be, you know parting will not be amicable.

I don't think there's any doubt we'll be on the market for a linebacker or two, including a MLB. Pierce has gotten as far as his dedicated film study and headiness can take him. Unfortunately, his preparation is much greater than his athleticism.

Good point about him potentially helping us more as a coach. I'm sure he's thinking about going that way - but not yet. He's not worth the cap space in a reduced role, so he's either our starter or he's gone. And emotional and volatile as he can be, you know parting will not be amicable.

Keep him as a 2 down backer in the next few years. As long as you get a stud next to him

next year, he can be a decent 3 down backer.

Carl Banks on WFAN Friday and I am paraphrasing "People want to be mad at Antonio Pierce for the Burress stuff, bottom line is there are not many if any at all MLBERS in the league thatcan cover Brian Westbrook or Jason Witten"

Carl Banks last night "I will tell you what there was no ONE LB on my old teams that could have covred a Witten or Westbrook and that includes Andy Headen, wo was our best cover Lber".

Banks is telling us(myself included) to STFU in regards to Pierce and his covering abilities and when Carl talks about linebackers I listen, we all should do the same.

Captain/Playcaller yes. Good run LB, I disagree. It seems the runs get stopped by Blackburn and Clark.

I think we hang on to him for a while, bring in his eventual replacement asap. If the replacement pushes him out of a start he'll still be very nice trade bait for most teams. Provided all of this happens quickly before he gets hurt or too old.

Carl Banks on WFAN Friday and I am paraphrasing "People want to be mad at Antonio Pierce for the Burress stuff, bottom line is there are not many if any at all MLBERS in the league thatcan cover Brian Westbrook or Jason Witten"

Carl Banks last night "I will tell you what there was no ONE LB on my old teams that could have covred a Witten or Westbrook and that includes Andy Headen, wo was our best cover Lber".

Banks is telling us(myself included) to STFU in regards to Pierce and his covering abilities and when Carl talks about linebackers I listen, we all should do the same.

Carl Banks is full of it then. What good are linebackers if they are strictly one dimensional?

The running back and tight end position have evolved...doesn't it follow that the linebacker position follows suit?

We just need to get younger and faster at the linebacker spot. Period.

I want to convert James Laurinaitis to a linebacker(or move Kiwanuka, who's been useless at defensive end back to outside linebacker...that way he can use his speed for something other than running 20 yards upfield pass the quarterback). Or the dude from USC that Nesta(I think it was Nesta) was talking about

Carl Banks is full of it then. What good are linebackers if they are strictly one dimensional?

The running back and tight end position have evolved...doesn't it follow that the linebacker position follows suit?

I want to convert James Laurinaitis to a linebacker(or move Kiwanuka, who's been useless at defensive end back to outside linebacker...that way he can use his speed for something other than running 20 yards upfield pass the quarterback). Or the dude from USC that Nesta(I think it was Nesta) was talking about

I think Carls point is that even in his day the best linebackers had trouble covering the pass catching Te's like Winslow SR, Bavaro and Mickey Shuler and the pass ctching rb's like Dave Meggett, James Brooks and Eric Metcalf. His point is that with Pierce its nitpicking.

I think Carls point is that even in his day the best linebackers had trouble covering the pass catching Te's like Winslow SR, Bavaro and Mickey Shuler and the pass ctching rb's like Dave Meggett, James Brooks and Eric Metcalf. His point is that with Pierce its nitpicking.

...so any modern NFL tight end and running back...?

I kindda felt the same way but I didn't want to piss off the football Gods. :(

...so any modern NFL tight end and running back...?

I guess his point is that the great ones like Westbrook and Witten will make you look bad as opposed to the lesser ones, just like his day. Dont shoot the messenger, I am just telling you what a man who knows more footbll then you and I combined said on the radio.

We might draft two outside linebackers (we will certainly draft one) but I'll bet my bippy that Kiwanuka moves back to strongside LB next season so Tuck, Osi, and Kiwi can all stay on the field.

It's really not a big deal that Kiwi is going to be a LB again, he will be blitzing a lot, I'm sure. Plus, he had made strides in coverage before he was injured last year. We need a great cover LB for the weakside, though.

In the nickel package, Kiwi can come out anyways, or they move him to DE and Tuck inside for the 4 aces package, which is probably the most likely. It really is nice that Kiwi is that versatile. That way all three stay on the field in some capacity, with good coverage LB's, and 3 great pass rushers.

I tell you the defense next year is going to be absolutely SICK!

The secondary is going to have a field day intercepting all those wounded ducks.

Just look at it this way, on passing downs:

---------------------------Kiwi------Tuck-----Cofield/Robbins-----Umenyiora

Webster--------------OLB in draft (high pick)---------------Pierce--------------------Thomas-------------Ross

---------------------------Michael Johnson----------------------------------K. Phillips

That is a badass defense right there. I'm licking my chops at how good they are going to be next year. Just please make it through the pre-season this time, starters!!!

Granted guys like whitten and westbrook are great players but sometimes

Pierce looks way out of position. I may be dead wrong and I would not

go against a guy like Carl Banks but Pierce does not have the speed to

keep up it seems. It could be the players around him need to step up also.

Carl Banks is flat out not "full of it". People tends to forget that not only was he a beast LB, but a smart one also. And he's right about Witten and Westbrook. Witten kills everyone, find one game/team this year that has been able to shut Witten down (and don't bring up the Giant game where his ribs were clearly affecting him and he shouldn't have been playing). Westbrook also is the only one who can stop himself, I've seen him make many a linebacker look stupid.

Pierce could be better, I truly think that having to concentrate on playcalling affects his play. He's not the same guy that played in DC.

I guess his point is that the great ones like Westbrook and Witten will make you look bad as opposed to the lesser ones, just like his day. Dont shoot the messenger, I am just telling you what a man who knows more footbll then you and I combined said on the radio.

There is not an LB playing now or then who can consistently cover a back or TE play after play. There are some again then or now who can do it better than others; but that is definitely the kind of mismatch that offenses love to create. If I can get a back or TE isolated on a LB, even a good covering LB; that is definitely a pass that is going to be completed most of the time for a decent gain.

I don't think the coverage issues are all Pierces fault, one he shouldn't be covering at all so why Spags continues to put that on him is beyond me, Spags looked like a genius for his four aces package last year the problem? we lost two of our four aces, next year we do get Osi back, and i am hoping we draft Brian Cushing i don't think JR reads this board but PLEASE? PLEASE?. The good news is Spags is not such a hot commodity at head coach, and will be back at DC which is wise considering he needs a lot more experience. We also miss Torbor and Mitchell alot more then people thought we would, Pierce was much better when he had talent around him, also why doesn't Johnson or Phillips come up as a extra LB on passing downs, we do have coverage issues besides Pierce, i still think Aaron Ross is the worst player on the entire team and thank god for Corey Webster i thought Carolina was gonna find a way to put Steve Smith on Ross and thought oh shit a long where Smith has 11 catches for 200 yards and three scores