SportsWrath

Is Steve Smith the best wide receiver we have....

boohyah

Not an overeaction, exaggeration or whatever you guys might throw out there, but right now, is there any doubt he's the most valuable wideout we have.

Plaxico has not played up to par, sure he has 2 TD's in the last 2 games, but for a guy who is supposed to be our deep threat, he has given up on several plays downfield when Eli has gone deep. He's played a lot better when hurt.

Toomer overall has slowed down, not running good routes at all. This first 6 games have been Amani's worst stretch that I've ever seen him play.

The whole "it's only a matter of time before Boss picks it up", to me is now officially a problem. He's blocking well, but every tight end in the league, good or bad, should be averaging one catch a game.

Hixon is much improved, but he's still got some way to go.

This offense right now is mainly a short gain offence, and if Smith wasn't as good a route runner and as reliable with his hands as he is, we'd have a fucking hard time moving the ball at all. He alone IMO is keeping the defense honest and that alone helps the running game.

I don't know what Dwayne Jarrett is doing in Carolina, but I think we got the best USC WR that draft.

Not an overeaction, exaggeration or whatever you guys might throw out there, but right now, is there any doubt he's the most valuable wideout we have.

Plaxico has not played up to par, sure he has 2 TD's in the last 2 games, but for a guy who is supposed to be our deep threat, he has given up on several plays downfield when Eli has gone deep. He's played a lot better when hurt.

Toomer overall has slowed down, not running good routes at all. This first 6 games have been Amani's worst stretch that I've ever seen him play.

The whole "it's only a matter of time before Boss picks it up", to me is now officially a problem. He's blocking well, but every tight end in the league, good or bad, should be averaging one catch a game.

This offense right now is mainly a short gain offence, and if Smith wasn't as good a route runner and as reliable with his hands as he is, we'd have a fucking hard time moving the ball at all. He alone IMO is keeping the defense honest and that alone helps the running game.

I don't know what Dwayne Jarrett is doing in Carolina, but I think we got the best USC WR that draft.

I think that our OC doesn't know how to call plays that will advance the ball and he doesn't realize the talent he has in pass catchers.

I agree with you.. Steve Smith is the most reliable wr we have... Plaxico plays up to par when he feels like it. Toomer is still a reliable veteran.

I felt Coughlin didn't handle the Plax situation correctly. He should have resisted calling him out as he was coming off the field- sat him for a series and tell him he had his back on the bad call but not on the bad conduct.

I felt Coughlin didn't handle the Plax situation correctly. He should have resisted calling him out as he was coming off the field- sat him for a series and tell him he had his back on the bad call but not on the bad conduct.

Very true but Plax should've showed respect too.. he's acting like a spoiled child out there.. what a fucking baby.

Very true but Plax should've showed respect too.. he's acting like a spoiled child out there.. what a fucking baby.

How so?

This is what I don't understand. I mean during the NFC Championship game Tynes walks off the field after his third miss with Coughlin chewing him out and he ignores him and people say "Oh it's just him being a hard skinned kicker"

Plax walks off the field having a false PI call on him and being pissed off about it and instead of bitching at Coughlin he just walks off to the bench and people say "Oh Plax is showing disrespect there"

Really disrespect? The last thing I would want to hear if I was pissed off is someone telling me to get my head out of my ass. Plax could of pulled a T.O. or a Keyshawn and turned around and started cursing Coughlin out and then go bitching to the media today about it.

I think that fact is now that Shockey is gone the media has made Plax the "bad guy" in the locker room, yet you hear no complaints from the players...infact http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/10...giants_tea.html a number of team mates support him.

Steve Smith was the most consistent receiver his whole time at USC as well.

Yes, he was overshadowed by Williams and Jarret due to their height in the red zone, but make no mistake,

Steve Smith is there when you need him, especially on third down.

I still can't get over Plax's lack of communication on and off the field.

It is his achilles heel and he is the only thing holding him back.

How so?

This is what I don't understand. I mean during the NFC Championship game Tynes walks off the field after his third miss with Coughlin chewing him out and he ignores him and people say "Oh it's just him being a hard skinned kicker"

Plax walks off the field having a false PI call on him and being pissed off about it and instead of bitching at Coughlin he just walks off to the bench and people say "Oh Plax is showing disrespect there"

Really disrespect? The last thing I would want to hear if I was pissed off is someone telling me to get my head out of my ass. Plax could of pulled a T.O. or a Keyshawn and turned around and started cursing Coughlin out and then go bitching to the media today about it.

I think that fact is now that Shockey is gone the media has made Plax the "bad guy" in the locker room, yet you hear no complaints from the players...infact http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2008/10...giants_tea.html a number of team mates support him.

plax is a big dummy but in this particular case, coughlin should have laid off.

How so?

Coughlin was saying something to him (about his stupid penalty) and he seemed to be given Coughlin an attitude.

plax is a big dummy but in this particular case, coughlin should have laid off.

Yeah this was a case of everyone automatically assuming that it was Plax' fault. Unfortunately that is what happens when you get a reputation...the natural benefit of a doubt goes out the window. If anything that play should have been a wash with neither offensive or defensive PI. Even a Giants Hater like Aikman said Plax was jobbed on that call.

Coughlin was saying something to him (about his stupid penalty) and he seemed to be given Coughlin an attitude.

It was an emotional moment for both and both were frustrated as hell. Plax had been dealing with a very physical and talented Clements and had just been called for a penalty that was simply a bad call. Plax has a big ego and when he's beating the coverage of his opponents, he tends to yak it up in front of the other teams bench taunting them with stuff like, "you can't cover me ladies, you just can't do it". But yesterday, Clements stuck to Plax like flies on shit and repeatedly got the better of Plax and it was laying some serious hurt on the big man's ego to not be able to shake Clements.

According to news reports, Coughlin yelled at Plax coming off the field and said, "what the hell are you doing out there" and Plax replied, "fuck you, I do what I have to do".

TC shouldn't have been so angry and if he had time to review the play, he would've seen that it was a bullshit call anyway....but he is the coach and he's allowed to show his frustration during the game, even if it isn't warranted. And Plax should have just shut his mouth and said nothing. Telling the coach, "fuck you..." on national tv is never going to go over big with a team as disciplined as the Giants are expected to be.

And oh yeah.....Steve Smith is a gem - and yeah, perhaps the top WR in last year's draft. That whole draft class from last year still amazes me. And snagging Johnson in the 7th round (as well as Bradshaw in the 7th and second to the last pick overall), is unfrickenbelievable.

Hold on, I don't care how Coughlin handled that, he was absolutely right to tell him off. Plaxico was acting like a bitch out there and caused us to lose 15 yards for jaw jacking to the refs. Let's face facts here, Plaxico does give away offensive pass interference plays, he's done it several times before, and he's been in the wrong. There's a precedent here.

He's also not the first player he's argued with coming off the field, and while he might be a loose cannon at times, Coughlin had just been yelling at the refs about the call just minutes before that "on the side of his receiver". The same receiver who is said to have yelled "fuck you" to him.

The Giants need to send a message to Burress now, who frankly has acted like a total ass this season. He bitched about his contract, he got what he wanted, and amazingly his behavior is now worse!!. We gave him credit last season when he played hurt and how well he played overall. But this year, it's been the opposite.

I'd send a message to him now, I'd dress him for the Steelers game, but I'd sit his ass. You know damn well he wants this game badly to piss off the Steelers. He may not get the message, but the message of " the Giants are bigger than one player" would be sent.

love Steve Smith.. awesome player... young and humble..

He almost seems like young version of Toomer. He might not bust you deep for a 80 yard TD but he runs crisp routes and catches the ball. To say something like that about a 2nd year player really does mean something.

As far as Plex, TC should have benched his ass for the half.

He almost seems like young version of Toomer. He might not bust you deep for a 80 yard TD but he runs crisp routes and catches the ball. To say something like that about a 2nd year player really does mean something.

As far as Plax, TC should have benched his ass for the half.

I actually thought it was going to happen after he told him to fuck off. As Boohyah stated it seems Plax's attitude is getting worse and he is definitely giving up on plays now. I know it's only one game but Hixon looked very good against Seattle and if Plax needs some more time riding pine then bench him.

Hold on, I don't care how Coughlin handled that, he was absolutely right to tell him off. Plaxico was acting like a bitch out there and caused us to lose 15 yards for jaw jacking to the refs. Let's face facts here, Plaxico does give away offensive pass interference plays, he's done it several times before, and he's been in the wrong. There's a precedent here.

He's also not the first player he's argued with coming off the field, and while he might be a loose cannon at times, Coughlin had just been yelling at the refs about the call just minutes before that "on the side of his receiver". The same receiver who is said to have yelled "fuck you" to him.

The Giants need to send a message to Burress now, who frankly has acted like a total ass this season. He bitched about his contract, he got what he wanted, and amazingly his behavior is now worse!!. We gave him credit last season when he played hurt and how well he played overall. But this year, it's been the opposite.

I'd send a message to him now, I'd dress him for the Steelers game, but I'd sit his ass. You know damn well he wants this game badly to piss off the Steelers. He may not get the message, but the message of " the Giants are bigger than one player" would be sent.

Suspending him clearly didn't work. Why try it again?

I don’t know. Both Hixon and Smith both seem to have great hands, something I think Toomer lacks, btw. Both seem to be smart, and on the same page with Eli most of the time, too. Only their run patterns are different. I like the way Hixon goes down field, though, and that’s why I think he’ll be our #1. Not to take anything away from Smith, of course. I like the way he always knows where the yard marker is, and how well he plays the clock.

I do know one thing. Together, they make Burress and his BS obsolete.

Anyway, Smith for drive saver, and Hixon for TD maker.

I'm still waiting to see what Darcy Johnson is made of. :brooding:

I like Smith a lot, but still think Plax is our best WR. Though I've gotta admit, Plax and Eli don't appear to be on the same page since his suspension and that's troubling... Eli looks to be forcing the ball to Plax a lot, and Burress' body language says that he's not really focused (languishing outta the huddle, no hustle).

Yes. Steve Smith has a mix of Toomer and Plax - the technique of Toomer, the athletic skill of Plax.

I don’t know. Both Hixon and Smith both seem to have great hands, something I think Toomer lacks, btw. Both seem to be smart, and on the same page with Eli most of the time, too. Only their run patterns are different. I like the way Hixon goes down field, though, and that’s why I think he’ll be our #1. Not to take anything away from Smith, of course. I like the way he always knows where the yard marker is, and how well he plays the clock.

I do know one thing. Together, they make Burress and his BS obsolete.

Anyway, Smith for drive saver, and Hixon for TD maker.

I'm still waiting to see what Darcy Johnson is made of. :brooding:

No matter what fans say or think about our receivers, the person who must make the decision to use them is the offensive coordinator. Gilbride, IMO, needs to re-evaluate his opinions. Will that happen or does he believe that isn't necessary. Maybe Tom should give him some counsel.