SportsWrath

Jerome McDougle !

UK-Giantsfan

Yep, 5 years and 3 sacks later, he's where he should have been from the beginning. :)

Nem, why don't you take a look at his career background before you go to town on him. Normally I wouldn't be too hot on a guy like this coming in, because he's a release from a team I think we are better than. But at DE the Eagles are deep, nobody too outstanding apart from Trent Cole, but they are deep. It's possible that the Eagles let him go due to him having such a history,but we signed him for a million bucks for one year and we need depth and he could be the best possibility to get that.

He had something to prove on the Eagles, and got cut before he got a chance. Now he'll be playing for a contract, so if he has anything (based on preseason, he does), we get the benefit, and don't have to worry about re-signing him when Osi comes back.

You have to like this.

From ESPN's DraftTracker from 2003...

some players just need to find a system that fits their game...

Jerome Mcdougle

SELECTED BY TAMPA BAY , ROUND 1, PICK 15, OVERALL PICK 15

DE | (6-2, 264, 4.65) | MIAMI (FLA.)

By Pro Football Weekly

Notes: Younger brother of former Oklahoma All-America offensive tackle and Lions first-round pick Stockar McDougle. Attended Pittsburgh (Kan.) State in 1998 but did not play football. Played at Hinds Junior College (Miss.) in '99 and then came to Miami (Fla.) in the summer of 2000 and redshirted in the fall. Started every game in '01 and had 59 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, seven sacks and an interception returned for a touchdown. Won All-Big East Conference honors. Missed the opener in '02 vs. Florida A&M with a torn pectoral muscle. Played in the next 11 games and the Fiesta Bowl and recorded 53-13½-7.

Positives: A very good athlete, McDougle has a quick first step, a burst to get by and close on the quarterback and excellent pass-rush potential. Loves to drop inner leg and power through, even against double-team. He uses his hands and arms well, can flatten and come back underneath, plays with leverage vs. the run and can use either power or speed to slip or shed the blocker. Has Hugh Douglas-type explosion.

Negatives: Doesn't have great size or work habits and is probably more compact than most teams would like. His technique, ball awareness and recognition have improved, but he still could use an upgrade. Needs to vary his attack against better offensive tackles who can handle him. Is far less effective vs. the run.

Summary: Can do everything you want him to off the edge, but lacks the great size of a prototypical every-down defensive end. A team will draft him hoping he is a super-Dwight Freeney type.

* Player biographies are provided by Pro Football Weekly.

I bet this guy at least doubles his career sack count this season.

I don't think you will see it right away, because he hasn't been with the team all preseason and camp, but something to watch for is if this signing allows Spags to use Tuck on the inside again on passing downs and using the 4 aces package. I think that Spags would've been much less inclined to use that package with Wynn. Now with McDougle, you may see Kiwanuka and McDougle on the ends, with Tuck inside on those 3rd downs. Nice signing.

I don't think you will see it right away, because he hasn't been with the team all preseason and camp, but something to watch for is if this signing allows Spags to use Tuck on the inside again on passing downs and using the 4 aces package. I think that Spags would've been much less inclined to use that package with Wynn. Now with McDougle, you may see Kiwanuka and McDougle on the ends, with Tuck inside on those 3rd downs. Nice signing.

Precisely. In Spags We Trust.

Wasn't he touted as a steal by the Eagles when he was drafted? Has he been a disappointment or is the Eagles' line is better than the the 2007-8 Giants'?

Why do I feel this guy is going to flourish under Spags? Could be wishful thinking on my part.. who knows.

Umm, in 5 seasons, this guy only has 3 career sacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :doh:

Why did we sign him again?

Like others have said he missed a season because he got SHOT

and had another season cut short early by a season ending injury

in the first few weeks. I'll never forget Eli coming in to an NFL game

for the first time:

14221236_1.jpg

I was lucky enough to be at that game, they must've showed

that replay on the Jumbotron like 20 times. :clap:

From what I've read there apparently was just no room for Mcdougle on the Eagles roster. They have a ton of DE's. He was having a real good camp and preseason. I'm not expecting the second coming of Strahan but the more and more I read about his play this summer the more I like this signing.

I was excited about McDougle this season. He played like

a man possessed this preseason and looks like he could finally

live up to his potential. Lucky signing for the gints.

Like others have said he missed a season because he got SHOT

and had another season cut short early by a season ending injury

in the first few weeks. I'll never forget Eli coming in to an NFL game

for the first time:14221236_1.jpg

I was lucky enough to be at that game, they must've showed

that replay on the Jumbotron like 20 times. :clap:

I'll never forget watching that, I was hurting for Eli, cause that was a ferocious hit. I also remember, that was the first time I developed any ounce of respect for him. That was the beginning of understanding Eli. Cause he got up and finished the game like it was nothing, unfazed. Ya gotta give it to Eli, he can take a beatin and keep on ticking.

I'll never forget watching that, I was hurting for Eli, cause that was a ferocious hit. I also remember, that was the first time I developed any ounce of respect for him. That was the beginning of understanding Eli. Cause he got up and finished the game like it was nothing, unfazed. Ya gotta give it to Eli, he can take a beatin and keep on ticking.

Yeah I saw that hit too....and then I said to myself will it be a Simms like "fuck you" to the Egal or Brown like bitch whine to his line "you guys better fucking block better"; and then saw that the kid got up and went back to the huddle. He has his own style. :)

Looks like a great low-risk/high upside signing for the Giants. 1-year at $1mm.... McDougle will be healthy, and playing for a big payday in 2009. This reminds me of the Kawika Mitchell situation.

Great addition to the depth chart, and someone to rotate in along with Wynn and Tollefson to keep the defensive line fresh.

Nem, why don't you take a look at his career background before you go to town on him. Normally I wouldn't be too hot on a guy like this coming in, because he's a release from a team I think we are better than. But at DE the Eagles are deep, nobody too outstanding apart from Trent Cole, but they are deep. It's possible that the Eagles let him go due to him having such a history,but we signed him for a million bucks for one year and we need depth and he could be the best possibility to get that.

Nevermind the fact the guy got shot.

it's always great to get up from a big hit, i give cheers for that. but when you're getting hit every other play now that's a no no. a big thumbs up to our front office for getting guys to protect eli.. if it wasn't for them.... go and ask David Carr what the result was.....

anyways, i'm happy we got McDougle as well.. probably won't see the real him until mid season tho..

Dude, calm down. Maybe you misunderstood me.. I'm excited about bringing McDougle, with his 3 career sacks in 5 years over from the Eagles. If this doesn't strike fear in the hearts of our opponents, I don't know what does.

Dude, calm down. Maybe you misunderstood me.. I'm excited about bringing McDougle, with his 3 career sacks in 5 years over from the Eagles. If this doesn't strike fear in the hearts of our opponents, I don't know what does.

What are you talking about, I was perfectly calm. But let's be honest here, when you feel strongly about things, you do get very passionate about them, like you're dislike of Jim Finn, or your love of Friends. I meant no harm.

What are you talking about, I was perfectly calm. But let's be honest here, when you feel strongly about things, you do get very passionate about them, like you're dislike of Jim Finn, or your love of Friends. I meant no harm.

Whooa, is the roof still on your house? Lets take it down a notch, my ears are bleedin! :P

Oh, and seriously, what the hell is wrong with 'Friends'??

:brooding:

Hey let's not forget Hilliard. :P

I knew you were going to throw that in my face. I have apologize, and apologize. What more do you want?

:)

dude, Jim Finn was a horrible blocker. I never knew what the big deal is about him.

On McDougle, I'm not expecting anything from him at all. Don't get me wrong, I hope he proves me wrong. But at this point my expectation is low.