SportsWrath

The latest story on Shockey - day before the draft

BleedinBlue

April 24, 2008

Shockey or no Shockey?

We will soon find out just how legitimate the Jeremy Shockey trade rumors have been. But we do know this: the Saints will take him off the Giants hands at the right price.

Former Jet Jonathan Vilma, a teammate of Shockey's at Miami, has been pushing his new club to obtain the tight end. And of course Sean Payton knows Shockey from their days together back in 2002.

But the Saints also have been talking about trading up in the first round, possibly as high as No. 2 to secure DT Glenn Dorsey. That's probably not going to happen, but if New Orleans wants to climb the Saints will need that No. 2 which supposedly is earmarked for the Giants.

And if the inclusion of S Roman Harper indeed is the stalling point, the Giants would want to know if this deal is getting done before they make their first-round pick. Acquiring Harper would negate the need for drafting Kenny Phillips or Tyrell Johnson with that first pick and allow them to look to another position.

There have been radio reports in New Orleans that this is a done deal, but those appear to be erroneous at this time.

Personally, I still think the Giants would be foolish to trade Shockey unless he has become totally out of control, which can't be the case since he's not even around. Eli Manning winning the Super Bowl MVP should give him enough stature, even in Shockey's eyes, to tell the tight end to shut his mouth if he starts crying for the ball. And it's hard to imagine any combination of the Giants backup TEs approaching the receiving/blocking combination Shockey provides.

So here's a vote for not trading Shockey - from a less-than-super delegate, however.

And yet another:

From the Star Ledger - (nj.com)

Shockey could be part of draft-day blockbuster

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Friday April 25, 2008, 3:00 AM

This weekend, hundreds of players will be anxiously awaiting to see which NFL uniform they'll be wearing next year. Most of them are college players.

One of them is Jeremy Shockey. And if recent rumblings are accurate, there's no guarantee he'll be wearing Giants blue come September. Then again, there's no guarantee he won't.

The Giants continue to field offers for their injured four-time Pro Bowl tight end, according to someone who speaks to members of the front office on a regular basis. The person, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak about the Shockey situation, said the recent offers, which have been made by multiple, unspecified teams, haven't been good enough for the Giants to even consider trading Shockey.

But that could change, starting tomorrow. Once teams are put on the clock to make their picks (10 minutes in the first round; five in the second through seventh), the reluctance to up the ante can quickly disappear. So can the Giants' high demands, which one person familiar with the team's thinking said includes a first-round pick.

As reported by The Star-Ledger on Saturday, Shockey has made some demands of his own: Less blocking and more receiving or a trade if a new offensive role isn't possible. A Giants official, who asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue, confirmed Shockey's requests but said the team isn't sold he'll follow through on his threat to hold out this upcoming season.

It remains to be seen which team will make the strongest bid to acquire Shockey. The Saints, who have the No. 10 overall pick, and the Seahawks, who pick 25th, have been rumored to be interested. New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis declined to address the situation and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported the Seahawks have "serious interest" in Shockey.

One thing is for sure: The Giants know they will be fielding fresh offers tomorrow. And they know there's a possibility they could be involved in a blockbuster draft-day deal one year after the Patriots acquired Randy Moss from the Raiders for a mere fourth-round pick.

And yet another:

From the Star Ledger - (nj.com)

Shockey could be part of draft-day blockbuster

by Mike Garafolo/The Star-Ledger

Friday April 25, 2008, 3:00 AM

This weekend, hundreds of players will be anxiously awaiting to see which NFL uniform they'll be wearing next year. Most of them are college players.

One of them is Jeremy Shockey. And if recent rumblings are accurate, there's no guarantee he'll be wearing Giants blue come September. Then again, there's no guarantee he won't.

The Giants continue to field offers for their injured four-time Pro Bowl tight end, according to someone who speaks to members of the front office on a regular basis. The person, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak about the Shockey situation, said the recent offers, which have been made by multiple, unspecified teams, haven't been good enough for the Giants to even consider trading Shockey.

But that could change, starting tomorrow. Once teams are put on the clock to make their picks (10 minutes in the first round; five in the second through seventh), the reluctance to up the ante can quickly disappear. So can the Giants' high demands, which one person familiar with the team's thinking said includes a first-round pick.

As reported by The Star-Ledger on Saturday, Shockey has made some demands of his own: Less blocking and more receiving or a trade if a new offensive role isn't possible. A Giants official, who asked not to be named because of the sensitivity of the issue, confirmed Shockey's requests but said the team isn't sold he'll follow through on his threat to hold out this upcoming season.

It remains to be seen which team will make the strongest bid to acquire Shockey. The Saints, who have the No. 10 overall pick, and the Seahawks, who pick 25th, have been rumored to be interested. New Orleans general manager Mickey Loomis declined to address the situation and the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported the Seahawks have "serious interest" in Shockey.

One thing is for sure: The Giants know they will be fielding fresh offers tomorrow. And they know there's a possibility they could be involved in a blockbuster draft-day deal one year after the Patriots acquired Randy Moss from the Raiders for a mere fourth-round pick.

I hope not. As much as it seems this whole Shockey thing is heating up, I hold out some hope he stays, and that we just draft as normal. If we go safety/corner or linebacker in round 1 and 2, wide receiver in round 3 and then start building some depth in 4-7. I'll be happy.

I hate it when the Giants are party to any negative stories like this one, especially now that we built up so many good vibes this year and we got this news that Osi is not going to hold out.

I hate it when the Giants are party to any negative stories like this one, especially now that we built up so many good vibes this year.

Unfortunately, that comes with the territory of being a Superbowl winner. :brooding:

April 24, 2008

Shockey or no Shockey?

We will soon find out just how legitimate the Jeremy Shockey trade rumors have been. But we do know this: the Saints will take him off the Giants hands at the right price.

Former Jet Jonathan Vilma, a teammate of Shockey's at Miami, has been pushing his new club to obtain the tight end. And of course Sean Payton knows Shockey from their days together back in 2002.

But the Saints also have been talking about trading up in the first round, possibly as high as No. 2 to secure DT Glenn Dorsey. That's probably not going to happen, but if New Orleans wants to climb the Saints will need that No. 2 which supposedly is earmarked for the Giants.

And if the inclusion of S Roman Harper indeed is the stalling point, the Giants would want to know if this deal is getting done before they make their first-round pick. Acquiring Harper would negate the need for drafting Kenny Phillips or Tyrell Johnson with that first pick and allow them to look to another position.

There have been radio reports in New Orleans that this is a done deal, but those appear to be erroneous at this time.

Personally, I still think the Giants would be foolish to trade Shockey unless he has become totally out of control, which can't be the case since he's not even around. Eli Manning winning the Super Bowl MVP should give him enough stature, even in Shockey's eyes, to tell the tight end to shut his mouth if he starts crying for the ball. And it's hard to imagine any combination of the Giants backup TEs approaching the receiving/blocking combination Shockey provides.

So here's a vote for not trading Shockey - from a less-than-super delegate, however.

That summerizes my feelings as well.

I hope not. As much as it seems this whole Shockey thing is heating up, I hold out some hope he stays, and that we just draft as normal. If we go safety/corner or linebacker in round 1 and 2, wide receiver in round 3 and then start building some depth in 4-7. I'll be happy.

I hate it when the Giants are party to any negative stories like this one, especially now that we built up so many good vibes this year and we got this news that Osi is not going to hold out.

Hey Boo, how are you bud? Hope all is well. I gave my Shockey shirt to my youngest son who has worn it proudly at times and sometimes wants to hide it.

The Giants proved that as a team they could win. Their torturous and arduous trip to the SB proved that. So do we really need Shockey? He's a great player, but is he more distraction than a help?

If we can get like talent in a trade I am all for it.

I frankly don't care either way. It would be nice having 2 tight end sets with him and Boss, but if he is going to be an ass, he can do that elsewhere if the price is right. I don't think this team is particularly damaged no matter what happens.

There's only one thing we can do as fans to keep Shockey.

We all have to wake up at 4AM tomorrow, don our #80 jerseys, and wait outside Radio City Music Hall for draft tickets. Then, when Miami's on the clock, we all have to chant, "homo... homo..." loud enough for Bill Parcells to hear it. After that, when all 29 other teams go to pick, we must all yell, scream, and throw our hands in the air in disgust... why should other teams get to pick, after all? When the Giants are on the clock, we have to lobby hard for whatever Miami player is left on the board (remember William Joseph) and if they don't pick him, we have to tell the ESPN guys that we were "outcoached, and outGMed." Then the fun part: getting drunk, blowing our money in AC, and fucking Vida Guerra.

C'mon everyone... show your support for Shock!

Unfortunately, that comes with the territory of being a Superbowl winner. :brooding:

True, but have you seen a Superbowl champion get so much good press as this one has. I mean, there's always positive vibes from superbowl winners, but this one has taken on another level.

Eli Manning is a QB that looks towards hi WR's to bail him out of trouble so trading Shockey wouldn't be the end of the world guys. Boss is a lower toned player that will accept his role as a blocker and protect Eli even more, and he is thrilled to get the passes that are thrown his way and doesn't complain and the ball goes elsewhere like Shockey does.

There's only one thing we can do as fans to keep Shockey.

We all have to wake up at 4AM tomorrow, don our #80 jerseys, and wait outside Radio City Music Hall for draft tickets. Then, when Miami's on the clock, we all have to chant, "homo... homo..." loud enough for Bill Parcells to hear it. After that, when all 29 other teams go to pick, we must all yell, scream, and throw our hands in the air in disgust... why should other teams get to pick, after all? When the Giants are on the clock, we have to lobby hard for whatever Miami player is left on the board (remember William Joseph) and if they don't pick him, we have to tell the ESPN guys that we were "outcoached, and outGMed." Then the fun part: getting drunk, blowing our money in AC, and fucking Vida Guerra.

C'mon everyone... show your support for Shock!

If we see Coughlin, we all have to yell "It's your job to be an ass!"

:clap:

That summerizes my feelings as well.

When was the last time Shockey was "crying for the ball"? I sure didn't see it this season, even though Eli's wobbles. Last season, or the seaon before that? There was a period a few years back where both Plax & Shockey were clearly frustrated and letting it show on the field but the continual criticism of either player is unwarranted. Neither has desplayed these traits for quite some time.

Eli Manning is a QB that looks towards hi WR's to bail him out of trouble so trading Shockey wouldn't be the end of the world guys. Boss is a lower toned player that will accept his role as a blocker and protect Eli even more, and he is thrilled to get the passes that are thrown his way and doesn't complain and the ball goes elsewhere like Shockey does.

No way in hell Boss is a better blocker than Shockey, a beter ANYTHING than Shockey. Again, when was the last time Shockey complained about anything? You guys are ridiculous.

I can understand that. But I think its gonna be another season before Boss is as good a blocker Shockey is. Its a mistake if we get rid of him THIS YEAR.

wow yet another thread and newspaper story reporting nothing new. To take anything less than a first round pick for a four time probowl TE who is easily in the top ten and arguably in the top 5 at the position, well we'd be the suckers.

Tempest, I disagree. We'd only be suckers if we didn't get good value for him. And a Saints 2nd rounder plus a 4th or 5th round pick would be good value, IMO. Things to consider...

First, we won the SuperBowl without his services. That counts for something. Obviously, we didn't miss Shockey's blocking all THAT much.

Second, he has had his share of injuries, especially to the knees. This is of concern to me. Yet, he still has good value and teams want him. Shall we keep him until those knees have nothing left to give? I really believe Shockey's most productive years (in the Giants offensive system!) are behind him. That's not to say should he go to New Orleans that he won't put up gaudy offensive numbers. But they are a pass-heavy offense without good receivers outside of Colston. So I expect he will get a lot more opportunity in the passing game there. There's something to be said for selling high!

Eli does need a TE to throw to from time to time. But not a TE who necessarily wants to be the focus of the passing game. Eli seems to have a greater rapport with his WRs, and uses the TE to keep the defense honest, not the other way around. It's not a bad thing to have an offense geared that way. And by moving Shockey and getting younger at the position, it will help us free up some money for higher quality in other areas.

We can also use one of our picks for a replacement TE to compliment Boss, not sure who that will be, but it will be someone with fresh legs for sure.

There is an opportunity cost if we don't trade him and if we do. We just need to figure out which cost is higher. My mind tells me that the cost of keeping him is higher than if we traded him now. My heart says keep him, he is a Giant! Either way I think we are ok and trust the Giants front office. A part of me thinks that Shockey can only reach his full football potential and production in an offense like the Saints. From a football fans perspective, I would love to watch him perform in that offense. From a Giants fan perspective, I would surely miss seeing him in a Giants uniform.

XXI, from an economical perspective, and I believe that all good decisions made by GMs have to be based on that, I would trade Shockey if I could get fair value. It would be bittersweet, but I'd do it and be confident that I just made my team better.

Roman Harper and the 2nd round pick should be a good deal. You get a young potential pro-bowl saftey and an early second round pick for an often injured but unlimitedly talented TE.

I agree. The posters that say we should get "at least a first rounder and more" are kidding themselves. It would be nice, but it's not realistic and no one is going to pay that price. It's as if a 2nd rounder is chump change! Osi and Steve Smith were both 2nd rounders. With the way Jerry has been drafting, I expect a pro bowler in the 2nd from the Gmen!

Saints aren't the only team interested, there are the Seahawks.

We're actually in the driver's seat for this one. I know its hard to believe but really think about it. We have a TE under contract, under 30, probowler. No reason whatsoever to trade him unless its worth our wild. Sure we won the super bowl without him, couldn't have gotten there without him either. Consider this, do we want to help the Saints win the super bowl next year by sending Shockey for a second round pick? The Saints will be laughing at us the same way the Patriots were laughing at the Raiders. Shockey has missed games due to turf toe, broken leg, no acls or other major knee injuries.

Word is now that the Saints are balking at a second round pick and are only offering a third.

Trading Shockey to the Saints is just not a good idea.

Tempest, I disagree. We'd only be suckers if we didn't get good value for him. And a Saints 2nd rounder plus a 4th or 5th round pick would be good value, IMO. Things to consider...

First, we won the SuperBowl without his services. That counts for something. Obviously, we didn't miss Shockey's blocking all THAT much.

Second, he has had his share of injuries, especially to the knees. This is of concern to me. Yet, he still has good value and teams want him. Shall we keep him until those knees have nothing left to give? I really believe Shockey's most productive years (in the Giants offensive system!) are behind him. That's not to say should he go to New Orleans that he won't put up gaudy offensive numbers. But they are a pass-heavy offense without good receivers outside of Colston. So I expect he will get a lot more opportunity in the passing game there. There's something to be said for selling high!

Eli does need a TE to throw to from time to time. But not a TE who necessarily wants to be the focus of the passing game. Eli seems to have a greater rapport with his WRs, and uses the TE to keep the defense honest, not the other way around. It's not a bad thing to have an offense geared that way. And by moving Shockey and getting younger at the position, it will help us free up some money for higher quality in other areas.

We can also use one of our picks for a replacement TE to compliment Boss, not sure who that will be, but it will be someone with fresh legs for sure.

There is an opportunity cost if we don't trade him and if we do. We just need to figure out which cost is higher. My mind tells me that the cost of keeping him is higher than if we traded him now. My heart says keep him, he is a Giant! Either way I think we are ok and trust the Giants front office. A part of me thinks that Shockey can only reach his full football potential and production in an offense like the Saints. From a football fans perspective, I would love to watch him perform in that offense. From a Giants fan perspective, I would surely miss seeing him in a Giants uniform.

Saints aren't the only team interested, there are the Seahawks.

We're actually in the driver's seat for this one. I know its hard to believe but really think about it. We have a TE under contract, under 30, probowler. No reason whatsoever to trade him unless its worth our wild. Sure we won the super bowl without him, couldn't have gotten there without him either. Consider this, do we want to help the Saints win the super bowl next year by sending Shockey for a second round pick? The Saints will be laughing at us the same way the Patriots were laughing at the Raiders. Shockey has missed games due to turf toe, broken leg, no acls or other major knee injuries.

Word is now that the Saints are balking at a second round pick and are only offering a third.

Trading Shockey to the Saints is just not a good idea.

Well I would argue that we are not automatically sending the Saints to the SuperBowl just because they are getting Shockey. There are two sides to a deal and there is no reason to think that we can't be an even better team with the compensation we receive and/or the increased opportunity/production from Boss. And no, the Saints will not be laughing at us like the Patriots are laughing at the Raiders. Completely different scenario. The Raiders got a 4th round pick for Moss. A 2nd rounder plus another pick or player is fair compensation for Shockey. Shockey is a former pro bowler. He is not an All-Pro TE, and he has been injury prone, and at times has been a liability to team chemistry. He is also a free agent at the end of the 2008 season.

I say do it. With the picks we get, we may end up with the next great Giant linebacker or TE. We get younger talent and Shockey moves on to a team that will get him the ball as much as he wants. I see this scenario as a win for all parties. I don't see it like you do, that the Giants are automatically worse off because Shockey is no longer on the roster.

Of course the Saints are only saying a third right now. They are positioning and negotiating. But I bet come tomorrow they will offer a 2nd and another pick. Plus we will see what other teams will get involved. Perhaps the Falcons and Seahawks will be in it as well. Reese will take the best offer of course, and in that regard, we are in good shape. Just don't be too disappointed if he leaves, and I won't be disappointed if he stays.