SportsWrath

Fluke

Lubeck

Aside from being the favorite target for every party boat sailing from the Atlantic Highlands.....

Lots of non-Giants fan who I know either in person or on other boards love to call the Giants SB win a fluke. And they say it like it is a derogatory term. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

Aside from being the favorite target for every party boat sailing from the Atlantic Highlands.....

Lots of non-Giants fan who I know either in person or on other boards love to call the Giants SB win a fluke. And they say it like it is a derogatory term. Has anyone else noticed this trend?

I ,Personally feel IT (winning the Superbowl) came about 2 to 3 years early ( or earlier than most Giants fans expected) sure it feels great to kick Brady's ass all over the field and and to have Eli Finally step up and Take the reins of this team and to win it all. But it seems so long ago now and frankly more like a dream now I dont know It still does not feel like we won it... (to me any way ,,, Damn Reality just wont sink in almost 3 months later :( ) and it should of been one of the three best of season of my life....

any one else feel this way?

I (cringe) kinda feel (personally) It just may of been a fluke or maybe right place right time. (IE,TYREE)

I ,Personally feel IT (winning the Superbowl) came about 2 to 3 years early ( or earlier than most Giants fans expected) sure it feels great to kick Brady's ass all over the field and and to have Eli Finally step up and Take the reins of this team and to win it all. But it seems so long ago now and frankly more like a dream now I dont know It still does not feel like we won it... (to me any way ,,, Damn Reality just wont sink in almost 3 months later :( ) and it should of been one of the three best of season of my life....

any one else feel this way?

I (cringe) kinda feel (personally) It just may of been a fluke or maybe right place right time. (IE,TYREE)

I think any real true fan would feel this way about their team unless they are a dynasty. It's hard to believe it happened, almost surreal. Still it doesn't matter how it happens because in the end the Giants are the best. Anybody who says that the better team lost is a dush.

I have a few friends who are Eagles, Skins, Cowboys and Steelers fans and no one has said to me that this was a fluke. I don't know one person who did was rooting for the Giants that night and everyone has told me congrats, you guys deserved it. It might have been a great upset but not a fluke.

I hear it all the time, the people I talk to most at work are cowboys fans. I love it, because all it is is jealousy. We're the Super Bowl Champs, we will get the rings, we got thre Trophy, and before every fucking game we play next year they will call us the defending super bowl champions, and all these jealous fuckers will have to hear it when we play their team.

And when a team can go on the road to beat the 1 and 2 seeds in their conference, then beat a team that was 18-0, yeah, call us flukes. Doesn't change the facts.

theme_superbowl_champs.jpg

I have a few friends who are Eagles, Skins, Cowboys and Steelers fans and no one has said to me that this was a fluke. I don't know one person who did was rooting for the Giants that night and everyone has told me congrats, you guys deserved it. It might have been a great upset but not a fluke.

My definition of a fluke: Dominant team plays terrible game, commits horrible penalties, lacks emotion and/or drive, other team gets tons of lucky breaks

My definition of SBXLII: Dominant OFFENSE meets up with Dominant DEFENSE with an amazing defensive gameplan, Winning team made huge plays when it Really counted (Eli-Tyree, 4th and 1, 3rd and 11 pass to Smith, Eli-Boss, Eli-Tyree TD), Winning team gets hit in the mouth only to hit back even harder (Brady to Moss TD then Eli to Burress TD).

If people want to think that it's a fluke let them. It's not like Roger Goodell is gonna say "Oh the Giants' Super Bowl victory was a fluke and therefore they can not claim to be the 2007 NFL World Champions. The must not wear their Super Bowl Championship rings and return the Vince Lombardi Trophy at once!"

Yeah, I'm with Dragon. If we score two TDs on fumble recoveries, a pass gets batted into the air for a TD, and the refs have to institute the "tuck rule," then it's a fluke.

The Giants outplayed the Pats. There is no "fluke." The end.

Ok lets all go back to Super Bowl XL then. Pittsburgh against Seattle. Pittsburgh got extremely lucky with some of those calls and I am still not sure how Rothlesburger got in the endzone or now. The referee's calls were also horrible that game. Was that game a fluke? There definitely is more of a case calling that game a fluke than XLII. I still think Seattle could have and should have won that game. What do you think?

Ok lets all go back to Super Bowl XL then. Pittsburgh against Seattle. Pittsburgh got extremely lucky with some of those calls and I am still not sure how Rothlesburger got in the endzone or now. The referee's calls were also horrible that game. Was that game a fluke? There definitely is more of a case calling that game a fluke than XLII. I still think Seattle could have and should have won that game. What do you think?

I think that I was on a Seattle-Hating spree that year (Thank you, Jay Feely... you ass) and couldn't care less how much they got screwed.

The game would have been closer, but the Steelers would still have won that game. Seattle didn't play up to the level they had been playing at in the playoffs. Seahawks couldn't stop Hines Ward at all.

Keep in mind, Ben was shit in that game, if he had to play 50% better than he did, that game could have gotten ugly.

Well I have a ten inch boner that they can suck on....all the flukesters that is. And that is not a fluke. Basically fuck em...its sour grapes...they overcame 4 nemesis' and known Giant Killers Exhibit A) Garcia, Exhibit B) Romo, Exhibit C)Favre and Exhibit D) Brady in that order. There were no ref giveaways, takeaways, and/or any other such nonsense....so again fuck em.

...I'm just gonna cut and paste what TBCvP said cuz it sounds cooler than anything I can come up with.

But my boner is nowhere near that big. :(

Well I have a ten inch boner that they can suck on....all the flukesters that is. And that is not a fluke. Basically fuck em...its sour grapes...they overcame 4 nemesis' and known Giant Killers Exhibit A) Garcia, Exhibit B) Romo, Exhibit C)Favre and Exhibit D) Brady in that order. There were no ref giveaways, takeaways, and/or any other such nonsense....so again fuck em.

Most of the friends in my circle are Giants, Jets, or Bills fans. And of course, the always handful of Cowboy fans. I even have a few friends that are Raider fans and Miami fans.

All of them, with the exception of the Cowboy fans, were rooting for the Giants because they absolutely hate the Patriots (especially the AFC fans). Most of them are real football fans and simply say it was the very best superbowl game they ever watched. The Cowboy fans have been refreshingly quiet about our win. They don't call our win a "fluke", but they boast that next year is going to be different and the Giants aren't going to be so lucky.

The Giants played exceptional ball in the latter part of the season. No one can take that away from them. Any areas of weakness or lack of super-talent was made up for with pure heart and desire. The Giants didn't recieve any "give away" calls that determined the outcome of games. They didn't get "lucky hops" or beat teams that were decimated with injuries or playing without their star quarterback. They simply dug in and fought some of the hardest battles ever fought on a football field and took it one week at a time.

During the superbowl I couldn't help but notice our players coming off the field so exhausted that they were hanging onto their knees and gasping for air. Every player rose to the occasion and gave it every single thing they had until there was nothing left to give. That's what caused the Giants to win. Anyone calling the game a fluke has to be jeolous or just plain ignorant.

This has been my experience. And I totally expected a bunch of crap, because usually, other than the group of about 10 guys I watch the game with, everyone gives me shit for being a Giant fan. A big reason is this state has a HUGE Dallas fan base. But EVERYONE is congratulating me. Even the worst of the cowboy fans here, my ex coworker that I am still kinda friends with, he congratulated me. Everyone here, at least, has a different view of the Giants. At least for this SB. ;)

don't we all have 10 inch boners?

Anyone who calls this game a fluke is just a hater.

It was defensive genius, incredible teamwork, and big plays.

There was nothing wrong with the Pats offense, they were just getting their asses kicked like they had yet to experience.

Truly one of the greatest superbowls of ALL TIME!!

No. I don't get that. Sure NE was a heavy favorite, but who else in the NFC could've beat them? The media kept hyping up the boys and Brett Favre... oh and we beat them both.

Now, in today's league, it's near impossible to repeat but we'll see. Our best years are still ahead of us.

I think it's just a lame ass excuse used to try and minimize the Giants accomplishments this past season, and it's no surprise that the majority of this nonsense comes from bitter rival NFC East fans. The championship game and superbowl were greater no doubt, but man that win over Dallas was sooooooo sweet considering the amount of shit I had to hear from some of their fans during the season. I can't stand Dallas, knowing that Jerry Jones had handed out tickets to the nfc championship game before the game against us and then watching us go into his house and watch Eli outplay their hollywood primadonna quarterback was so gratifying. Not to mention seeing T.O reduced to a sobbing, blubbering emotional mess on national television. Seeing Eli hoist the Lombardi after years of ridicule and mocking was sweet, knowing that all the haters in the nfc east who talked shit about him were watching too made it even sweeter.

That playoff run was one of the most amazing accomplishments in the history of sports, legendary it was.

Jealousy's a bitch.

I think it's just a lame ass excuse used to try and minimize the Giants accomplishments this past season, and it's no surprise that the majority of this nonsense comes from bitter rival NFC East fans. The championship game and superbowl were greater no doubt, but man that win over Dallas was sooooooo sweet considering the amount of shit I had to hear from some of their fans during the season. I can't stand Dallas, knowing that Jerry Jones had handed out tickets to the nfc championship game before the game against us and then watching us go into his house and watch Eli outplay their hollywood primadonna quarterback was so gratifying. Not to mention seeing T.O reduced to a sobbing, blubbering emotional mess on national television. Seeing Eli hoist the Lombardi after years of ridicule and mocking was sweet, knowing that all the haters in the nfc east who talked shit about him were watching too made it even sweeter.

That playoff run was one of the most amazing accomplishments in the history of sports, legendary it was.

Jealousy's a bitch.

You forgot to mention that picture-perfect portrait of Jerry Jones' face after the game :rolleyes:

...I'm just gonna cut and paste what TBCvP said cuz it sounds cooler than anything I can come up with.

But my boner is nowhere near that big. :(

Thank you Sir! And there is surgical help these days to increase the girth and length of Mr. Peabody. ;)