SportsWrath

2007 Giants... Worst team ever to reach Superbowl

so-cal dub

...well, according to NEspn

---link---

Can the New York Giants win Super Bowl XLII? Sure, they have a shot -- but if they win, it may be the biggest upset in Super Bowl history.

After all, the New England Patriots are the first NFL team to go 18-0 in a season, while the Giants are one of the two or three worst teams ever to reach the big game. And why is that?

Start with their regular-season total of 10 wins. A 10-6 record is a good season, but is not usually indicative of a Super Bowl season. Since the move to a 16-game schedule in 1978 -- and not counting strike years -- just two other teams have made the Super Bowl with a record worse than 11-5: the 1979 Los Angeles Rams (9-7) and the 1988 San Francisco 49ers (10-6). (The 49ers are the worst regular-season team ever to win the Super Bowl.)

During the regular season, the Giants outscored their opponents by a combined total of just 22 points. Only two other teams have reached the Super Bowl without outscoring opponents by at least 50 points during the regular season: the 1979 Rams (14 points) and the 2003 Carolina Panthers (21 points).

The Giants had a turnover differential of minus-10 during the regular season, which ranked 26th in the NFL. Only one team has ever made the Super Bowl with a worse turnover differential: the 1983 Los Angeles Raiders at minus-13. It is rare for a team to reach the Super Bowl with a negative turnover differential, and the teams that do make up for it by outscoring their opponents by a much larger margin than the Giants.

Super Bowl teams with negative turnover differential

Team Turnover differential Average margin of victory Win the Super Bowl?

1983 Raiders -13 6.5 Yes

2007 N.Y. Giants -10 1.4 ???

1979 Steelers -10 9.6 Yes

2001 Rams -10 14.4 No

1979 Rams -8 0.9 No

2003 Panthers -5 1.3 No

1976 Raiders -4 8.1 Yes

1992 Bills -3 6.1 No

1987 Redskins -3 6.3 Yes

1970 Colts -2 6.2 Yes

The Giants certainly have played better in the postseason -- but that's true of every single one of these unlikely Super Bowl participants. The 2003 Panthers won by a bigger margin in their first playoff game (19 points) than the Giants have in all three of their playoff games combined (17 points). That 1988 49ers team, you may recall, won its first two playoff games by 25 points each before beating Cincinnati 20-16 in Super Bowl XXIII.

In fact, of all the teams needing three wins to reach the Super Bowl, the Giants have been the least dominating in the postseason.

Three playoff wins to reach Super Bowl

Team Average margin of victory in playoffs Win the Super Bowl?

2000 Ravens 15.0 Yes

1992 Bills 14.3 No

2003 Panthers 12.0 No

1985 Patriots 12.0 No

2005 Steelers 11.3 Yes

1997 Broncos 10.7 Yes

1980 Raiders 9.7 Yes

1999 Titans 9.3 No

2006 Colts 9.3 Yes

2007 Giants 5.7 ???

That's not to say the Giants can't overcome these negative statistics. After all, last year the Colts had the worst run defense and the worst scoring defense of any Super Bowl champion. And the year before that, the Steelers became the first team to win the Super Bowl as the sixth seed.

However, there are a couple of major differences between those teams and this Giants squad.

First, each of those teams struggled in the regular season because of a specific injury to a player who was in the lineup for the playoffs (Bob Sanders for the Colts, Ben Roethlisberger for the Steelers). The Giants don't have a specific player whose absence was responsible for their regular-season struggles.

Second, those teams faced a different quality of opponent in the Super Bowl. This season's Patriots are not the 2005 Seattle Seahawks or the 2006 Chicago Bears. That may be the biggest difference of all.

:blah:

If we suck so hard then every other team in the NFC must be worse. We had inconsistancies in our season and finished on an upswing, carrying momentum through the play-offs. Regular season records mean NOTHING now. Ask any Dallas fan, if you can find one now.

...well, according to NEspn

---link---

You know what ? The more we get down graded or put down or whatever you want to call it the better. What better of a story line would there be for a "crappy, aint sposed to be there team " to knock of the NFL's #1 Princess?

it's David and Goliath all over again .

I thought the 2000 Giants were the worst team to reach the Super Bowl. This team is worse? :confused:

I was just going to post that. Wasn't it Mara or Tisch (forget exactly who it was) that said it would be the worst team to win the SB? Maybe this year it will come true.

From a statistical stand point. Yeah. 16th on offense, 10-6 record, only 22 net points, -9 on turnovers, almost as many ints as passing Tds.

From a season long stats perspective the Giants are not close to being one of the two top teams in the NFL. From a season long stats perspective this SB is probably one of the worst mismatches in the history of the NFL b/c along with the Giants mediocre statistical year the Patriots are having one of the greatest statistical years ever.

However, I don't view this game as a huge mismatch. Looking solely at the stats neglects that many of the Patriots great stats come from early in the season and much of the poor stats for the Giants does as well. By observing the last few games of the season, it is clear that the Giants are playing in the last few games much better than the season avg. stats. And the game week 17, clearly show the teams are not.

The Patriots are the better team, they simply have better players and a better system, well suited for the weather in an AZ dome. But this is not a mismatch like Bears-Patriots in 85.

As Giants fans we knew this team had the talent to at least make the SB since 2005. That is what has been so frustrating about this team that they were consistently inconsistent and played below their means. I'm just suprised that they were able to pull it together and make the Super Bowl this year.

I was just going to post that. Wasn't it Mara or Tisch (forget exactly who it was) that said it would be the worst team to win the SB? Maybe this year it will come true.

"This team was referred to as the worst team ever to win the home–field advantage in the National Football League. And today, on our field of painted mud, we proved we're the worst team ever to win the NFC championship. In two weeks, we're going to try to become the worst team ever to win the Super Bowl."

Wellington Mara

kinda sends shivers down my spine.

"This team was referred to as the worst team ever to win the home–field advantage in the National Football League. And today, on our field of painted mud, we proved we're the worst team ever to win the NFC championship. In two weeks, we're going to try to become the worst team ever to win the Super Bowl."

Wellington Mara

I remember when he said that...it certainly did raise some goosebumps. I was thinking he read my mind.

Wellington Mara

Wiki has that wrong.

"And today on this field of painters mud, we proved we're the worst team ever to win the

NFC Championship game and I'm happy to say in two weeks, we're gonna try to become the

worst team ever to win the Superbowl"

I just watched the Giants DVD last night.

And yes, it does send shivers down my spine also.

Wellington Mara

Yeah, because we all know the outcome of that superbowl. I may even vomit.

(clean thoughts, clean thoughts, clean thoughts... :cwy: )

This Giant team would blow the doors off the 2000 team, probably not even a close game IMO.

The Giants are better at every position except maybe RB and LB(simply because of Armstead, but Ryan Philips was a starter on that team :LMAO: )

This Giant team would blow the doors off the 2000 team, probably not even a close game IMO.

The Giants are better at every position except maybe RB and LB(simply because of Armstead, but Ryan Philips was a starter on that team :LMAO: )

I still think if they hadn't called holding on that interception Armstead returned for a touchdown in that Super Bowl, that game would have been A LOT different. Moot point I know, just my opinion.

I still think if they hadn't called holding on that interception Armstead returned for a touchdown in that Super Bowl, that game would have been A LOT different. Moot point I know, just my opinion.

Yup. Moot point now. That was then, this is now. The pallet is wiped clean.

This team is going to shock a lot of people come Feb. 3rd. I'm not guaranteeing it, but I just get that feeling. They have twisted my mind this whole post season, and now I dont expect anything different. NE has everything to lose, we have nothing to lose.

The difference is the change in Eli. If you take the team before the NE game, the author is probably correct IMO.

Having a Plax that can actually run and be a real threat helped eli a lot, too.

Having less dropped passes and tipups from receivers helps also.

But mostly eli not desperately chunking the ball helps.

Wellington Mara

jesus should not have had that man killed

This is a good thing guys. This means we have a shot to make this the greatest super bowl ever. We are the biggest underdog the super bowl has ever seen. This team will become imortal if we can find a way to win.

I love it. This is 1991 all over again. We aint got no chance against them Bills. Not to mention, we're not going to even get a chance to play the Bills, cause we aint gettin past the Bears, or the 49ers. But now we're up against the Bills???? DEFINATLEY NOT THE BILLS! Theyre more classy in Buffalo anyway, drinkin all that wine and what not. :rolleyes:

GO GIANTS!!!!!

Yup. Moot point now. That was then, this is now. The pallet is wiped clean.

This team is going to shock a lot of people come Feb. 3rd. I'm not guaranteeing it, but I just get that feeling. They have twisted my mind this whole post season, and now I dont expect anything different. NE has everything to lose, we have nothing to lose.

Nonsense! Absolute nonsense! You act as though the Giants play in the Superbowl ever year. You also act as though the NFL Commissioner has granted the Giants a free pass to play in it next season as well.

Both teams have everything to lose on Sunday. No one will care about the Pats undefeated season if the Giants win. No one will care about the Giants run should the Pats win. And neither team will automatically malke the playoffs next season.

And this is a good thing. This is the way professional sports should be. You Giants fans need to embrace this.

Part of me wants to root for the Giants this weekend. But this "we don't get respect routine" and "we are the best because we won the NFC Championship" montra is nauseating...

Something tells me that if the Pats really unload on the Giants this weekend, which is a possibility, that Michael Strahan is not going to be too excited about his 2nd NFC Championship ring, when he has no Superbowl ring.