SportsWrath

Strahan to return

Lughead

Friday?

Contact has been made _ finally. Both coach Tom Coughlin and GM Jerry Reese talked with DE Michael Strahan Monday night. And while both said the defensive end has not made a decsion about his future, the buzz around camp is that Strahan will be in by Friday.

At $14,288 per day, a seven-day holdout would cost Strahan about $100,000, and that may be his spending limit for missing time. The Giants also would have the opportunity of going after 25 percent of Strahan's prorated signing bonus (about $900,000) if they consider Strahan's absence potentially hurting his performance.

At any rate, both Coughlin and Reese at least had a chance to talk to the seven-time All-Pro, and each said he had a long and very wide-ranging conversation with him.

Basically what they told the media is Strahan has not yet made up his mind on whether he wants to play. Apparently contract numbers were discussed but as far as the Giants are concerned, there will be no adjustment. Both Coughlin and Reese said they would welcome Strahan back providing _ and there's the key _ he comes back with the right attitude and not a wishy-washy desire to continue playing.

The fine issue also apparently was addressed. And I'm telling you this, if Strahan has the penalty wiped off the books you will get a bunch of players next season slipping the first week of camp with the excuse that "I don't know if I want to play anymore."

In fact I'll probably take a week off myself next summer to punder the future, and tell The Record there is a precedent set by the Giants not to fine me while I'm out.

Through a text message to a friend, Strahan said he was in good spirits and just trying to be patient in making a very important decision.

Meanwhile William Joseph broke a media boycott of several years long enough to answer a few questions about his shift to Strahan's left spot. He said the Giants want him out there to stop the run and if Strahan returns, he probably will be a swing man between his old DT position and DE.

That may be so, but Joseph and/or Justin Tuck will take some of Strahan's snaps away, if he does return. No way he's going to be an every-down lineman again.

Also, Coughlin talked to Osi Umenyiora about the DRE's comments Sunday on the potential of Simeon Rice joining the team. Reese said Umenyiora was being "the good little brother" sticking up for his buddy Strahan, saying he was not about to move to the left side to make way for Rice. Plans remain to bring Rice in for a physical and a visit Wednesday.

Otherwise: former Giant Steve DeOssie showed up to watch son Zak in the morming practice. The two went out to lunch together, but dad said he didn't bring any money so junior was going to have to pay. DeOssie still is involved with his former Patriot teammate Fred Smerlas on a radio program and the two have opened a restaurant cleverly called "Fred and Steve's Steakhouse" in Rhode Island. Zak DeOssie says his dad rarely critiques his play and their conversations usually are of a general nature.

DeOssie did deflect an Anthony Wright pass in the morning workout. Wright later hit free agent Marco Thomas (who impresses each day) with a bomb down the left sideline. Fellow rookie Brandon London made a couple of nice catches. Guy Whimper got a few more snaps with the first unit. And Jared Lorenzen had his first so-so practice after four lights-out performances.

The practice ended with one of Coughlin's exotic plays. The situation: leading with fourth down and about five seconds to play, too much time remaining for a kneel down. QB Eli Manning drops back and heaves a high, deep pass out of bounds down the sidelines towards an eligible receiver, this time Sinorice Moss. The idea is for time to run out while the ball is in the air.

Manning's toss, however, fluttered as it moved downfield drawing a lot of "Quack! Quack! Quack!" yells from his teammates.

LS Ryan Kuehl suffered a lower leg injury at the outset of the evening workout and was carted from the field. An MRI is scheduled for Friday. OL Grey Ruegamer and rookie DT Jay Alford handled the snaps.

G Rich Seubert and LB Mathias Kiwanuka were involved in the first camp tussle, nothing serious.

Whimper had a tough time blocking free agent Tommy Davis in the evening workout.

Josh Huston was 3-for-4 and Lawrence Tynes 2-for-4 in field goal tries.

I don't want him back. We had baby Tiki and now baby Strahan. Enough of this crap already. At this point I would trade him for a late 7th rounder.

Oh bullshit, the guy can still play and he still is our best DE against the run. He's still going to attract a lot of attention and free up other guys on our defense to fly around in Spags' scheme. The Giants have the right idea, if he comes back he better be 100% for it. If he comes back and keeps his mouth shut great, but I don't know why everybody on Sportswrath wants to throw out Strahan a future HOFer who can still play who hasn't even held out a full week yet. Having Strahan will only make the Giants stronger at this point. Tuck still has a lot to prove and Willie Joe is not a DE.

I don't want him back. We had baby Tiki and now baby Strahan. Enough of this crap already. At this point I would trade him for a late 7th rounder.

trade him to Chicago for Lance Briggs and then move Kiwi back to DE ..... just a thought I don't know if this is monetarily feasible .

trade him to Chicago for Lance Briggs and then move Kiwi back to DE ..... just a thought I don't know if this is monetarily feasible .

I agree also add, but Tim and Elizabeth Hasselbeck to that and we might have a steal here.

It's hard to say this, but i agree.

Oh bullshit, the guy can still play and he still is our best DE against the run. He's still going to attract a lot of attention and free up other guys on our defense to fly around in Spags' scheme. The Giants have the right idea, if he comes back he better be 100% for it. If he comes back and keeps his mouth shut great, but I don't know why everybody on Sportswrath wants to throw out Strahan a future HOFer who can still play who hasn't even held out a full week yet. Having Strahan will only make the Giants stronger at this point. Tuck still has a lot to prove and Willie Joe is not a DE.

It would be different if we weren't fresh off tiki's little adventure last year, no way that didn't affect the teams mindset week in and week out. Strahan, and the longest tenured Giants and a team leader should have known better than to pull this. If he was/is that desperate for a new deal, he should have asked for his release earlier in the year to try and get a better offer elsewhere. Fact is, even though Strahan's ability at 35 is still far better than most DE's in the league, at this point he is injury prone and not worth the headache and a repeat of last year's fiasco with Tiki.

My sister asked me when this shit started what i thought, she being a Cowboy fan was trying to piss me off. i told her I am so dissappointed that the 2 greatest giants of the last 10-15 years are ending their careers under such selfish and heart breaking ways.

Is Hasselbeck still on the team? All the reports are always about Wright or the Pillsbury Throw Boy.

Apparently, Eli is the third best-looking QB in camp. Wright has looked pretty sharp, and Lorenzen is apparently playing lights-out football. Eli looks inconsistent and erratic... in other words, he looks like Eli. I know "it's still training camp," but to have the fourth season in a row where Eli looks "inconsistent and erratic" is pretty troubling, considering he's been playing QB since birth.

By all accounts, Hasselbeck looks awful, missing passes, underthrowing receivers by five yards, ugly passes... in other words, he looks like Hasselbeck. He sucks, has sucked, and always will suck. I've always said that guy couldn't start in the Arena League; I have no idea how he still has a job.

Apparently, Eli is the third best-looking QB in camp. Wright has looked pretty sharp, and Lorenzen is apparently playing lights-out football. Eli looks inconsistent and erratic... in other words, he looks like Eli. I know "it's still training camp," but to have the fourth season in a row where Eli looks "inconsistent and erratic" is pretty troubling, considering he's been playing QB since birth.

By all accounts, Hasselbeck looks awful, missing passes, underthrowing receivers by five yards, ugly passes... in other words, he looks like Hasselbeck. He sucks, has sucked, and always will suck. I've always said that guy couldn't start in the Arena League; I have no idea how he still has a job.

I gather that (based on your mini camp report), J-Load should start, Wright should be #2, Eli #3 and cut Tim?

Manning's toss, however, fluttered as it moved downfield drawing a lot of "Quack! Quack! Quack!" yells from his teammates.

:lol:

So a "lights-out performance" is good? I've never heard that term before. I thought it meant he looked like he was asleep.

I gather that (based on your mini camp report), J-Load should start, Wright should be #2, Eli #3 and cut Tim?

I still think Eli should be the starter, and Wright and Lorenzen should battle for number two.

If going into September Eli still looks the worst of the three, I think we have a problem. Right now we're getting a lot of "he's got a new QB coach" and "the footwork is different" but the other two guys have the same things happening to them, and are playing better.

Tim Hasselbeck shouldn't be on an NFL roster, IMHO.

I still think Eli should be the starter, and Wright and Lorenzen should battle for number two.

If going into September Eli still looks the worst of the three, I think we have a problem. Right now we're getting a lot of "he's got a new QB coach" and "the footwork is different" but the other two guys have the same things happening to them, and are playing better.

Tim Hasselbeck shouldn't be on an NFL roster, IMHO.

Fuck this fucking asshole. Show him the door. Release his ass and let him find another job. It's called addition by subtraction. This team is better off without him. You know he's freakin' broke with the divorce and, from what I hear, his unchecked spending, so I'm sure he's trying to squeeze every penny out of the team.

By the way, I love how his camp is saying, "Michael has been extremely loyal to the organization for all these years and this is how they treat him?" Loyal? :LMAO: That's a freakin' joke. The guy is here because they sign a huge paycheck for him every week, and has continually undermined the coaching staff while he's been here. Again, fuck him.

By the way, I love how his camp is saying, "Michael has been extremely loyal to the organization for all these years and this is how they treat him?" Loyal? :LMAO: That's a freakin' joke. The guy is here because they sign a huge paycheck for him every week, and has continually undermined the coaching staff while he's been here. Again, fuck him.

The ego on this guy is simply amazing. He's done alot for this team on the field. However, I can't stand his attitude.

By the way, I love how his camp is saying, "Michael has been extremely loyal to the organization for all these years and this is how they treat him?" Loyal? :LMAO: That's a freakin' joke. The guy is here because they sign a huge paycheck for him every week, and has continually undermined the coaching staffs while he's been here. Again, fuck him.

fixed.

It is highly unlikely they will release him. I think it was todays Daily News there was a column that put it perfectly: if he is released Snyder will scoop him up immediately. Strahan could end up like Arrington attitude-wise wanting to beat up on a team he feels disrespected him. If they do get rid of him it will be trading to a non-division team.

It is highly unlikely they will release him. I think it was todays Daily News there was a column that put it perfectly: if he is released Snyder will scoop him up immediately. Strahan could end up like Arrington attitude-wise wanting to beat up on a team he feels disrespected him. If they do get rid of him it will be trading to a non-division team.

Link? What day in the Daily News? And so what if he goes to the Redskins? Stray is only good for 9-10 games anyway....that has been average for him lately anyway. He'll be injured down the stretch.

I've thought long and hard about 'our' Giants lately. Eff it...bring in Simeon Rice...and it's time to cut out the locker room cancers. Tiki's gone, Stray SHOULD be gone, Shockey you are next (watch yo' back Plax)!!!!

Tiki's gone, Stray SHOULD be gone, Shockey you are next (watch yo' back Plax)!!!!

LOL. Whenever I say we should trade Shock and/or Plax and see what we can get for 'em, people call me names.

I wouldn't want to go to work with a guy who yells and waves his arms every time I turn in a late lesson plan.

LOL. Whenever I say we should trade Shock and/or Plax and see what we can get for 'em, people call me names.

I wouldn't want to go to work with a guy who yells and waves his arms every time I turn in a late lesson plan.

I had to 'settle down' with my Shockey hate too. Folks in here was on my ASS for my Slammin' of Shockey at times. I never forgave Shockey for dropping that pass vs SF in the Wildcard debacle....then Shockey smiled after he dropped it like shit was funny.

And being an assistant coach for a Football league for kids...I would NOT put up with any kid 'waving his hands' in disgust after his teammate messed up. But our league isn't the pros huh?

(That's funny....your co worker flailing his arms because your report 'bounced at his feet')

I have been saying that for the last 2 years both here and at the GMB. I got banned from the GMB for saying it and people here ripped me a new asshole. both those fuckers should have been shopped long ago.

when shockey dropped that pass and smiled i interpreted it as more of a 'wow, unreal' like when ur playing poker and someone calls you with a stupid hand and beats you on the river and you just can't do anything but laugh

I had to 'settle down' with my Shockey hate too. Folks in here was on my ASS for my Slammin' of Shockey at times. I never forgave Shockey for dropping that pass vs SF in the Wildcard debacle....then Shockey smiled after he dropped it like shit was funny.

Yeah because it was all Shockey, and not the defense nor coaches fault. It was Shockey's who allowed 24 points in the forth quarter. It was Shockey who made all the calls on offense, not the coaches.

And being an assistant coach for a Football league for kids...I would NOT put up with any kid 'waving his hands' in disgust after his teammate messed up. But our league isn't the pros huh?

Yes because Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, Terry Holt, Tony Gonzalez have never done that before. Shockey and Plaxico are the only ones. :rolleyes:

I love the media sometimes. When Jerry Rice, Michael Irving, Andre Reed did it. They were label as "having great possion for the ball." When Shockey does it, "he's not being a good teammate." I love it... :LMAO: