SportsWrath

Who's your "not seeing it" player this year?

For me, its J.J. McCarthy.  Looks like just an average, everyday QB to me. 

For instance, here's J.J's highlight reel, and the highlight reel for Michael Pratt, expected to be taken in the 5th round or so.  Is there that much difference between their tape?  JJ has less velocity and arm strength but does run a more pro-style offense.   

Mc Carthy:

Michael Pratt:

Also not seeing the Roger Rosengarten love (players named Roger always suck) or Graham Barton. 

Maye and McCarthy for sure.

Also while I think Bowers will be a good TE, I don't think he's worth a top 10 pick as some mocks have him at.

Chop Robinson is a guy you're drafting mainly on athletic ability with upside potential, but these comparisons to Micah Parsons are silly. Chop should be a 2nd rounder.

37 minutes ago, Herc said:

I guess McCarthy is the guy im pretty iffy on but I’ll talk myself into it real fast if they draft him.  

I look at it like this…. McCarthy is a better prospect than Jones, who we also took at 6. So, ok, I guess?

trade up for him? Thursday is going to turn into a bender. 

….I’m pretty light on prospect knowledge this year though. Of the handful of guys I’ve watched, my pick for surprise top prospect bust is….. Caleb Williams. I think he’s going to be more Jameis Winston than Patrick Mahomes.

5 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

I look at it like this…. McCarthy is a better prospect than Jones, who we also took at 6. So, ok, I guess?

trade up for him? Thursday is going to turn into a bender. 

Id be happy if we move up for a qb, it means they both felt strongly enough about him, and that he wouldn’t make it to 6. 

it would make me more excited. 

1 minute ago, CrazedDogs said:

….I’m pretty light on prospect knowledge this year though. Of the handful of guys I’ve watched, my pick for surprise top prospect bust is….. Caleb Williams. I think he’s going to be more Jameis Winston than Patrick Mahomes.

I wouldn't be surprised if Williams turns out to be average or bust. I believe Jayden Daniels is the best QB in this draft.

3 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

For me, its J.J. McCarthy.  Looks like just an average, everyday QB to me. 

For instance, here's J.J's highlight reel, and the highlight reel for Michael Pratt, expected to be taken in the 5th round or so.  Is there that much difference between their tape?  JJ has less velocity and arm strength but does run a more pro-style offense.   

Mc Carthy:

Michael Pratt:

Also not seeing the Roger Rosengarten love (players named Roger always suck) or Graham Barton. 

LOL.....come Steph...wake up and smell the 70s and 80s......Roger Staubach.....Roger Wirley.......Roger Craig....

C. Wagon

Also can't fucking wait for this draft to roll around.

New era of Giants football coming regardless of what position is taken.

I'm now 50/50 if it's a QB vs another position.

I think if the team formerly know as the football team passes on Daniels and he's there at 3 or 4 the Giants trade the farm for him.

11 minutes ago, BronxRik said:

Looking at that McCarthy video, I'm thinking we take Roman Wilson. :LMAO:

Wilson and a few others who are projected 2nd rounders (Pearsall, Franklin, McConkey) might end up with more productive careers than the top 10 or top 20 WRs in this draft.

Any of those guys would be great in the 2nd if available. Wouldn't mind a trade down to 11-15 for Bowers in the 1st then taking a WR in the 2nd, assuming we can't get Jayden Daniels.

I'd love to see us get Denver's 1st this year and 1st next year in this trade scenario, setting us up for a high QB draft pick next year.

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I think Chicago will break him regardless. I hope Fields develops into a star.

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Remember, if a guy gets drafted “early”,  he didn’t get drafted early, the mock drafts were just wrong. 

The problem with mocks is they're trying to predict the outcome, not rank actual talent. Here's PFF's top 20 rankings for comparison:

1. QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC

2. WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE

3. QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA

4. WR MALIK NABERS, LSU

5. T JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME

6. WR ROME ODUNZE, WASHINGTON

7. TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA

8. CB COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA

9. CB QUINYON MITCHELL, TOLEDO

10. ED LAIATU LATU, UCLA

11. DI JER'ZHAN NEWTON, ILLINOIS

12. DI BYRON MURPHY II, TEXAS

13. T TALIESE FUAGA, OREGON STATE

14. CB TERRION ARNOLD, ALABAMA

15. T TROY FAUTANU, WASHINGTON

16. ED DALLAS TURNER, ALABAMA

17. T OLUMUYIWA FASHANU, PENN STATE

18. T JC LATHAM, ALABAMA

19. ED JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE

20. T AMARIUS MIMS, GEORGIA

3 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Remember, if a guy gets drafted “early”,  he didn’t get drafted early, the mock drafts were just wrong. 

This irks me to no end.  

49 minutes ago, Treehugger said:

Something else to consider. This graph is amazing:

if5nrn0vs2rc1.jpeg

Remember last year when Stroud did that S2 cognitive sports test or some odd name and he tanked it with some ridiculously low score.

Suddenly the media pundits had him going outside the top 10 or even falling out of round 1 because teams were afraid of the result.

Gets picked #2 and had one of the best rookie QB seasons seen in recent years.

5 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Yup, same here. I think it has more to do with Chicago than his talent. I think years down the road it'll be JJ who has the best career out of the bunch regardless of where he ends up initially. 

7 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

LOL.....come Steph...wake up and smell the 70s and 80s......Roger Staubach.....Roger Wirley.......Roger Craig....

C. Wagon

Staubach though a hated Broke Back was a great QB in Landry's (ex-Giants player and coach for the young ones)  system.  He was the 70s Joe Montana.  Craig was hit by LT to cough up that ball for the 1990 Championship game that ended the Three Peat.