SportsWrath

Giants hire Shane Bowen as DC

Herc

Nice.

Not a bad third pick.

Defense finished 6th, 13th and 16th the last three years. 

Held a lot of red zone trips to three points, and some of the best run defense.

Likes to give up big plays in the air though. 

3 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Still young, he’s had acceptable results. Reason to be optimistic. This isn’t like…. Insert Coughlin era internal promotion who lasted one abysmal season. That guy, if you haven’t also blocked it from your memory.

Did someone say Bill Sheridan?

5 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

Still young, he’s had acceptable results. Reason to be optimistic. This isn’t like…. Insert Coughlin era internal promotion who lasted one abysmal season. That guy, if you haven’t also blocked it from your memory.

You are not talking about the numbers fuck (he counted cards as if that qualified him to be a head coach) who replaced Parcells after he bailed.  I do not honestly even remember his name.  All I ever saw was him helping Parcells carry his wire for his headphones.  Coach Bitch would have been a better name.  Young picked him and David Fucking Brown from Duke, Duke, Duke.... where have I heard of that college before... oh yeah Daniel Jones.  Never again should a Duke QB come down to Mara Tech. ;)

5 minutes ago, NeMesiS said:

I’m not understanding this hire. Most of the time his defenses have been below average at best. 

Above average.

But we'll see. 

If you need to run sort of scheme that is specific to one coordinator you better make sure he never leaves, which is what the Giants are facing. 

Atleast with Bowen if he didn't work out a new DC doesn't need to revamp the entire roster to make it work. 

Not sure we are getting much better with this guy. The defensive players have gotten better through the draft and free agency clearly so I think that the defensive improves as the quality improves. I don't think we're moving the needle much with this hire.

I am with Boohyah... it is dependent upon the quality of the incoming and already there defense.  Wink was a mad scientist who wanted a monster in his own image.  This guy is more generic.  I think the Giants personnel fits more generic and not specific.  Win with the blitz in the old days and lose mostly with the all out blitz now.  You need cover guys... who can really cover man to man.

On 2/12/2024 at 8:20 AM, Mr. P said:

This guy could also be James Betcher 2.0. 

And Coughlin promoting a guy to coordinator worked out well when it was Gilbride. 

It worked out very well, but Gilbride had previously been a successful OC as well as a (not very successful) head coach. I don't think that was a desperation hire, like Sheridan was.