SportsWrath

Preseason game two yo

BlueInCanada

1 hour ago, Sephiroth said:

They really do.  Makes up for the head-scratchers in Shoen's first year. 

If anything it's injuries limiting first year class.

Which you can't really fault. 

But then there's Ezdoodoo but gawd damn most pundits had a second round grade on him, he has the measurables, clearly can't put it together. 

Impressed by both our starting O and D last night. Jones to Waller ( and Hyatt ) is going to be fun this year.

We looked sharp , well organised and ready ( unlike in previous preseason games under Judge , Shurmur and McAdoo where we looked truly awful )

I think we will hit week 1 in full stride this season 

Go Blue

Panthers were without starting DE's I think...and even so, they aren't very good.  So I will take the win with a grain of salt.

That said, there is a good bit to be excited about.  Waller is a dude, that agreed, teams are already planning for.  Hyatt will be interesting...not saying he's gonna be a game changer yet, but teams aren't going to single him up.  The Hyatt/Waller combo is going to challenge defenses.

End of the day, I still think the offensive line play dictates a lot...and is razer thin in depth.  That alone is more the tipping point of improving over last year or remaining stagnant.

24 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Its an old Giants CB number.  Mark Haynes the shutdown corner of the early 80s had that number.  Am fine with it.

Thanks for the history lesson T, never knew about him but read up on his profile.

Sounded like a guy who was instrumental in those early 80s playoff runs, and had a few pro bowls as well.

Wanted to see him play so I found this tid bit on youtube.

Fuck LT was a beast.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Thanks for the history lesson T, never knew about him but read up on his profile.

Sounded like a guy who was instrumental in those early 80s playoff runs, and had a few pro bowls as well.

Fuck LT was a beast.

You're welcome bro.  I am so sorry BiC that Mark Haynes was traded before the 86-87 Super Bowl as he was part of one of the best defenses ever.  With Mark Haynes covering you knew we were going to win.  The only time he was burned was when Flipper Anderson caught the game winning Rams catch in the playoffs the year before to end the Giants hopes at the Meadowlands in 85.  The only time.

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Fuck LT was a beast.

Those were some hits back then bro... heavy assault style hits.  To quote Shred.  This brought back old times of me being a Freshman in college at 17.  It was a great time to be alive.  Saint Reagan's bs had yet to bite.

On 8/18/2023 at 11:48 PM, BlueInCanada said:

If anything it's injuries limiting first year class.

Which you can't really fault. 

But then there's Ezdoodoo but gawd damn most pundits had a second round grade on him, he has the measurables, clearly can't put it together. 

I'm still fairly optimistic about Ezuedu. You can coach up his hand usage issues and stunt recognition. You can't teach feet like his. I'm not discounting him until, unless he fails to improve in year 2. 

2 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

I'm still fairly optimistic about Ezuedu. You can coach up his hand usage issues and stunt recognition. You can't teach feet like his. I'm not discounting him until, unless he fails to improve in year 2. 

Way I see it...top 50 picks should be day 1 starters, save maybe a QB.  Next 100 picks or so, I give a full offseason-season-offseason before I truly expect consistent play, even if it isn't an every-down player or ST only.  End of the draft, I would look at whether they had any spot duty to cover injuries and effort given daily to evaluate.  Methinks with only 53 or so roster spots and injuries in football...if you're in the roster for 2 or 3 seasons, you are gonna see 'some' playing time

On 8/20/2023 at 1:47 AM, Iceman_NYG said:

This Jordan Riley kid is really playing lights out and is turning out to be a diamond in the rough......could well mix into the starting rotation - if anything - a perfect fill for when Williams leaves after the year

Jordon Riley definitely looked good, especially for a guy who will be a rotational piece.

In terms of the D, I was most impressed with Bobby Okereke. It's great to finally have a competent LB. Possibly the last one we had since Antonio Pierce and maybe Blake Martinez, who only lasted like a year.

Thibs still flashes at times, but he looks like he still has issues getting bounced around in the run game.

2 hours ago, mastershake said:

Jordon Riley definitely looked good, especially for a guy who will be a rotational piece.

In terms of the D, I was most impressed with Bobby Okereke. It's great to finally have a competent LB. Possibly the last one we had since Antonio Pierce and maybe Blake Martinez, who only lasted like a year.

Thibs still flashes at times, but he looks like he still has issues getting bounced around in the run game.

Thibs needs more technique training from a top notch DE.  He needs to channel Michael Strahan and go forward.

21 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Way I see it...top 50 picks should be day 1 starters, save maybe a QB.  Next 100 picks or so, I give a full offseason-season-offseason before I truly expect consistent play, even if it isn't an every-down player or ST only.  End of the draft, I would look at whether they had any spot duty to cover injuries and effort given daily to evaluate.  Methinks with only 53 or so roster spots and injuries in football...if you're in the roster for 2 or 3 seasons, you are gonna see 'some' playing time

Very reasonable. In any given draft, if you get 2 (of 7) picks who end up solid, healthy starters, with an additional 2 role players/backups/ST players, that's a good draft. Bonus points for any UDFA who contribute too.