SportsWrath

I'm not sure now

Virginia Giant

So this is pretty much a complete reversal on where I've been.  But I don't know that we should sign Jones and Barkley.  

I think most of the jury is still out on Jones.  As much as he improved and as much as I want to see him continue to improve, are we really going to give him Mahomes money to see what he can become, maybe?  

And Barkley, I fucking love that man, and it breaks my heart, but is THIS the team to devote that much money to a runningback?  With a lot of holes to fill?  

That is two guys who would take a fucking chunk of cap space that maybe shouldn't?  I really don't know.  My bias for both of them says do it, but realistically these are two contracts that determine the next several years of Giants football.

Mahomes contract is not usual right now. He's on a 10 year deal and I don't see anyone getting that length of a contract. So while Jones might make near 40 million, the years won't be there. No-one is going to get a better overall deal than Mahomes right now nor do they deserve it. He's the standard. That said based off of Jones market right now, 38-40million is about right. 

In the "who do you sign first" sweepstakes, it was clearly Barkley at the beginning, but Jones is the priority now and there's probably a lower ceiling now for Saquon. You wonder if Bijan Robinson is still there, do the Giants pull the trigger?. He's top 5 talent in the draft.

No way we pick an RB in the 1st round. Barkley already said he doesnt want to reset the RB market - he understands his career so far and I think he will be in the 10-12 mill a year -3-4 year contract, maybe backloaded.

Jones certainly has earned a 35mill roundabout 3-4 year contract - and there is no QB in the draft whom we can say is definitely an upgrade, nor is there any FA who will be an upgrade AND come cheaper than that. These 2 are getting signed for sure and Sexy Dexy as well.

But yeah out of the above 3 - Barkley unfortunately seems like the one to let go in case they are unable to accommodate. But lets see what Schoen does.....

8 hours ago, Iceman_NYG said:

No way we pick an RB in the 1st round. Barkley already said he doesnt want to reset the RB market - he understands his career so far and I think he will be in the 10-12 mill a year -3-4 year contract, maybe backloaded.

Jones certainly has earned a 35mill roundabout 3-4 year contract - and there is no QB in the draft whom we can say is definitely an upgrade, nor is there any FA who will be an upgrade AND come cheaper than that. These 2 are getting signed for sure and Sexy Dexy as well.

But yeah out of the above 3 - Barkley unfortunately seems like the one to let go in case they are unable to accommodate. But lets see what Schoen does.....

I wouldn't backload a contract for a running back.

It depends on how Schoen takes this team and the reality of roster building.

Do we try to replicate teams like the 49ers/Titans who build AROUND the QB while paying them a modest deal, the roster around the QB can make the plays when needed and the QB only has to manage the game and limit turnovers (Jones strength) If this is the case we can't be paying Jones right now 40 million a year because this roster is no where near that level of talent to support a QB and will need to pay guys like Barkley, Thomas, Dex, a new #1 WR money to get it to that level and simply put we wont be there for a year or so.

Do they think Jones is on the level of Allen/Mahomes/Burrow? Can Jones elevate the team around him when it matters and carry them to wins? In that case you CAN pay Jones 40 million a year because you can lack at other positions, such as letting Barkly go and not going after a high priced #1 WR and using that saved money to keep a handful of vital players around Jones.

What do I think? Jones is never going to be at that level and we shouldn't give a 40+ million dollar contract now instead something much more team friendly (25 million ish) and instead use that money to build a roster around a QB like Jones, and if he doesn't want that then he walks or they use the tag. If we continue to acquire and develop talent and keep guys like Barkley/Love/Thomas/Dex/etc while not needing a 40+ million dollar QB but instead have a talent filled roster that can carry any QB to a win.

I’m fine with a franchise tag if we can fit it in but i don’t think we should allocate a lot of long term resources to that position no matter who it is.  

Jones I think is a must-sign.  People are pointing at 15 tds but he was a different player down the stretch because they trusted his development enough to open up the offense.  I think he makes a big statistical leap next season even if we don’t improve the receivers 

8 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

It depends on how Schoen takes this team and the reality of roster building.

Do we try to replicate teams like the 49ers/Titans who build AROUND the QB while paying them a modest deal, the roster around the QB can make the plays when needed and the QB only has to manage the game and limit turnovers (Jones strength) If this is the case we can't be paying Jones right now 40 million a year because this roster is no where near that level of talent to support a QB and will need to pay guys like Barkley, Thomas, Dex, a new #1 WR money to get it to that level and simply put we wont be there for a year or so.

Do they think Jones is on the level of Allen/Mahomes/Burrow? Can Jones elevate the team around him when it matters and carry them to wins? In that case you CAN pay Jones 40 million a year because you can lack at other positions, such as letting Barkly go and not going after a high priced #1 WR and using that saved money to keep a handful of vital players around Jones.

What do I think? Jones is never going to be at that level and we shouldn't give a 40+ million dollar contract now instead something much more team friendly (25 million ish) and instead use that money to build a roster around a QB like Jones, and if he doesn't want that then he walks or they use the tag. If we continue to acquire and develop talent and keep guys like Barkley/Love/Thomas/Dex/etc while not needing a 40+ million dollar QB but instead have a talent filled roster that can carry any QB to a win.

I prefer building around a decent QB.

Mahomes is a generational talent.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:34 PM, Herc said:

I’m fine with a franchise tag if we can fit it in but i don’t think we should allocate a lot of long term resources to that position no matter who it is.  

Jones I think is a must-sign.  People are pointing at 15 tds but he was a different player down the stretch because they trusted his development enough to open up the offense.  I think he makes a big statistical leap next season even if we don’t improve the receivers 

This - you could see his improvement week on week - the second half of the season was wayyyy better than the 1st since he was getting more and more comfortable with the Offense, going through his reads, knowing when to take off - made even Isiah Hogdins and Ritchie James look capable even after losing Bellinger. He kept losing people around him all season long - Shepard, Wandale, Toney everyone - yet he still functioned. We now retain both Coordinators for another season atleast. I think we sign Jones for 35ish - there isnt a better QB on the market right now who already understands this system. Get him an Addison type WR in the draft or maybe an Aiyuk in FA, beef up the OL and let him cook.

I saw something really smart on Reddit where someone said we should sign Jones, but also front-load his contract and give him something like 50 million this offseason. The idea is that we're not competing for a Super Bowl next year anyway so you sign minimal free agents, pay Jones now and hope for a strong draft class, then really make a push the following season with more cap space and players on their rookie contracts.

Sounds good in theory but next offseason we're going to have to find a way to keep Dex too, and Andrew Thomas is the season after that.

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I saw something really smart on Reddit where someone said we should sign Jones, but also front-load his contract and give him something like 50 million this offseason. The idea is that we're not competing for a Super Bowl next year anyway so you sign minimal free agents, pay Jones now and hope for a strong draft class, then really make a push the following season with more cap space and players on their rookie contracts.

Sounds good in theory but next offseason we're going to have to find a way to keep Dex too, and Andrew Thomas is the season after that.

That’s where my head is too. Maybe slightly overpay on a contract with an out after three years, but front load it so we’re working with a relatively low QB cap % the next couple years. 

keep Saquon, don’t keep him… he’s a nice piece, but teams win without name brand running backs all the time.

Jones just changed agents as well.

It noted that some players changed because their agents were holding out when the player just wants to sign, think TJ Watt telling his agents to fuck off and signing the contract to get back to practice. 

Others note that plenty of players have done this because the new representation promises more $$$

Either way just an interesting development.

Soon as I saw what he was asking for. My love for Jones was washed away. This kid had one year that was half way decent, with two great games in one season. 

15 million per season tops. Otherwise good luck Mr Jones. He’s been really bad since his first game, and even this year just didn’t do anything to blow it. That isn’t a 40 or 30, or 20 million dollar QB. 

Philly turned him back into the bumbling idiot he is.