SportsWrath

The Morning After

Sephiroth

I commented on the game day thread that I had gotten stuck at a gig, but I did watch the first three drives of the game on my phone. After the Jones INT I turned it off and it never went back on.

I know it was a really disappointing end to the season, but I had said to my friends at work this week that I thought we'd lose by 2-3 scores. Look at each team's rosters and tell me which position group you wouldn't swap for the Eagles' players. Their roster might be the best in the league right now, and we're trotting out street free agents and practice squad players. 

Last night before bed my wife said she was sorry about how the game went, but I replied "I'm not. I thought we'd win four games this season; we more than doubled that and beat the #2 seed in the playoffs with practice squad players. What are we going to do once we have NFL caliber players on the team?" 

I'm really, REALLY excited to see what we look like when Fabian Moreau isn't a starting corner... when Isiah Hodgins isn't your #1 WR... when Ben Bredeson isn't your best interior lineman. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year and we were playing with house money the entire time.

I haven't been this excited about a Giants team since after Eli's rookie season. Can't wait for next year, and fuck the Eagles with a sawfish bill.

Daboll said it best in his into presser "This league can humble you quickly"

I expect the talent to improve on the roster next year with the 2nd/3rd largest cap space in the league.

However I also expect the Cowboys and Eagles to keep improving too.

We may not make the playoffs in the second season of a rebuild and it would be interesting to see how quickly the fandom turns on Daboll and Co.

10 minutes ago, The P said:

Like a good movie with a terrible ending.  

This sums it up for me. To make it that far, then play their worst game of the season is such a let down.

Last night we saw bad Wink, that was the kind of guess-wrong game plan that Baltimore fans complained about. I wouldn’t want him to change, but there are going to be games like that where every daring zone-blitz rushes into their protection and leaves someone wide open. It was rough last night, he couldn’t dial up the right D at all, guessed wrong almost every time. I mean the Eagles OL was practically getting fellated by the TV announcers, but so many of those gaping holes were the D slanting away from the design of the play.

I am a little worried about the sophomore season and Dabol better not come into camp next year having his hair slicked back like McAdoo did. They definitely overachieved this year. Lots of holes to fill and if they don't resign Jones and Barkley, even bigger holes to fill.

23 minutes ago, jranieli said:

I am a little worried about the sophomore season and Dabol better not come into camp next year having his hair slicked back like McAdoo did. They definitely overachieved this year. Lots of holes to fill and if they don't resign Jones and Barkley, even bigger holes to fill.

Id like to see Daboll come back with his hair grown out. 

He’d look like a short chubby brunette Hulk Hogan. 

Only concern I have the morning after is the desperation 4th and 8 tey when down by 1 score in 1st quarter.  It's like we told the Eagles we knew they were the better team and were concerned about keeping up in a shootout.  We were right, but to show that to the opponent that early was questionable to me.

Otherwise super happy with the season and my 49ers and Chiefs prediction still in play

11 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I commented on the game day thread that I had gotten stuck at a gig, but I did watch the first three drives of the game on my phone. After the Jones INT I turned it off and it never went back on.

I know it was a really disappointing end to the season, but I had said to my friends at work this week that I thought we'd lose by 2-3 scores. Look at each team's rosters and tell me which position group you wouldn't swap for the Eagles' players. Their roster might be the best in the league right now, and we're trotting out street free agents and practice squad players. 

Last night before bed my wife said she was sorry about how the game went, but I replied "I'm not. I thought we'd win four games this season; we more than doubled that and beat the #2 seed in the playoffs with practice squad players. What are we going to do once we have NFL caliber players on the team?" 

I'm really, REALLY excited to see what we look like when Fabian Moreau isn't a starting corner... when Isiah Hodgins isn't your #1 WR... when Ben Bredeson isn't your best interior lineman. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year and we were playing with house money the entire time.

I haven't been this excited about a Giants team since after Eli's rookie season. Can't wait for next year, and fuck the Eagles with a sawfish bill.

This is so reasoned bro and I agree completely.

Fuck the Egals and this is all gravy.

First year of a major rebuild and you win one Wildcard.

This is shades of 1981 with the Giants back in the Playoffs after 18 years of not being there.

9 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

This sums it up for me. To make it that far, then play their worst game of the season is such a let down.

Last night we saw bad Wink, that was the kind of guess-wrong game plan that Baltimore fans complained about. I wouldn’t want him to change, but there are going to be games like that where every daring zone-blitz rushes into their protection and leaves someone wide open. It was rough last night, he couldn’t dial up the right D at all, guessed wrong almost every time. I mean the Eagles OL was practically getting fellated by the TV announcers, but so many of those gaping holes were the D slanting away from the design of the play.

As an old Free Safety, the Giants were in Cover most of the night as these practice squad guys could not play man to man.

It would have been worse if he had.

So, he guessed wrong on just about every play plus his cover guys could not cover much Less tackle.

That catch that was made was a first down, as he catches it and makes a football move plus the Late hit on the supposed Lateral was horrible.

No holds called on the Egals and one false start after it had been decided.

The Giants still probably Lose but it would not have been that bad

The Egals to me Look Like the two-year wonders of the 85 Bears.

They are not the best thing since Ice Cream

The Officiating Crew for the 69ers and Broke Backs Looks much better than the Jints/EgaLs game.

11 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Daboll said it best in his into presser "This league can humble you quickly"

I expect the talent to improve on the roster next year with the 2nd/3rd largest cap space in the league.

However I also expect the Cowboys and Eagles to keep improving too.

We may not make the playoffs in the second season of a rebuild and it would be interesting to see how quickly the fandom turns on Daboll and Co.

How did you figure the Cowboys and Eagles will improve? How!!! The fucking Eagles have 8 starters on the defense hitting free agency… this is the absolute peak for them… same with the other assholes.

I too wasn’t too upset.   I didn’t like the beating we got but it going to help our guys get focused… I can’t wait for fucking Golladay to fuck off.   

I’m not mad at the James and the Monroes… at least they came to play.

9 hours ago, Nas said:

How did you figure the Cowboys and Eagles will improve? How!!! The fucking Eagles have 8 starters on the defense hitting free agency… this is the absolute peak for them… same with the other assholes.

I too wasn’t too upset.   I didn’t like the beating we got but it going to help our guys get focused… I can’t wait for fucking Golladay to fuck off.   

I’m not mad at the James and the Monroes… at least they came to play.

Eagles have always been a good drafting a FA team I don't know what your even talking about, there's a reason they are playing in the NFC Championship matchup and it isn't luck.

They also have 40+ million in cap space and two first round picks next year so I expect them to be able to replace guys they lost. 

The Cowboys have also put together a competitive team albeit maybe not SB winning but enough to give the Giants a run.  

Sure I hate both teams but let's not act like they haven't gotten their shit together while the Giants have been the gutter of the NFL the last 10 years.

It's going to be a rough NFC East these next 5 years or so. 

I still expect Daboll and Co to be the top of the East however when all is said and done in couple years. 

10 hours ago, gmenroc said:

Eagles do have a top 10 pick...

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

Eagles have always been a good drafting a FA team I don't know what your even talking about, there's a reason they are playing in the NFC Championship matchup and it isn't luck.

They also have 40+ million in cap space and two first round picks next year so I expect them to be able to replace guys they lost. 

The Cowboys have also put together a competitive team albeit maybe not SB winning but enough to give the Giants a run.  

Sure I hate both teams but let's not act like they haven't gotten their shit together while the Giants have been the gutter of the NFL the last 10 years.

It's going to be a rough NFC East these next 5 years or so. 

I still expect Daboll and Co to be the top of the East however when all is said and done in couple years. 

The Eagles have an amazing front office. I think a big part of our success this year was having Brandon Brown in our front office; look how many street free agents came in this year and we're really productive players for us. I'd argue his contributions were much greater than Schoen's from a personnel standpoint (those scrub FAs did more to help the team than our middling draft did).

2 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

The Eagles have an amazing front office. I think a big part of our success this year was having Brandon Brown in our front office; look how many street free agents came in this year and we're really productive players for us. I'd argue his contributions were much greater than Schoen's from a personnel standpoint (those scrub FAs did more to help the team than our middling draft did).

I don't know I thought Brown was strictly a scouting guy that was his job with the Eagles anyways., I remember the NFL highlighting Brown at the combine a bunch saying the Giants landed a hell of a scout.  

Granted I'm sure him and Schoen bounce a lot of each other and I'm glad he's been a positive addition to the team 

10 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I don't know I thought Brown was strictly a scouting guy that was his job with the Eagles anyways., I remember the NFL highlighting Brown at the combine a bunch saying the Giants landed a hell of a scout.  

Granted I'm sure him and Schoen bounce a lot of each other and I'm glad he's been a positive addition to the team 

I was under the impression he was the head of the pro personnel department for the Eagles?