SportsWrath

Giant greatness, who do you think about?

Virginia Giant

LT

After the drought from 198 to 1981 and seeing LT dissect offensive Lines

It was a revelation for us Giant fans and the League as a whole

Let me tell you they used to block blitzes with FBs and RBs before LT

After LT put them on top of the QB as he sacked the QB they started trying to block him and others with Linemen and big TE's who could not catch the football

Strahan.

Guy took over games and you couldn't run to his side. 

The 2005 to 2009 Oline made every single RB behind it look like HoFers. Bradshaw and Jacobs were lightning and thunder but would of been nothing of who they were without that Oline.

Jacobs and Ward were the fifth? 1000 yard duo in NFL history and they owe it to that Oline. 

Also Bradshaw and Jacobs one of the best RB duos the league has seen, Jacobs who just looked for the big hits and Bradshaw who hit the open lane with authority. 

Eli during those playoff runs was just unstoppable, he willed that team to wins.  

Toomer was such a clutch WR who made the play when it was needed and to that extent so was Nicks. 

OBJ in his prime took 5 yard slants and made them 50 yard TDs with ease, probably the best WR I've ever seen in blue. 

Corey Webster coming back from being benched and turning into one of the best corners in the NFL for a few seasons was great as well. 

Antonio Peirce was another guy who comes to mind when I see the state of the LBs on the team.

Although some famous poster always refered to him as "the midget", he was always around the ball and made big tackles in big moments.

The 2007 run would of stopped if not for the tackle in the GB game where he tackled the RB on a wide open screen play through the blockers. 

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Strahan.

Guy took over games and you couldn't run to his side. 

The 2005 to 2009 Oline made every single RB behind it look like HoFers. Bradshaw and Jacobs were lightning and thunder but would of been nothing of who they were without that Oline.

Jacobs and Ward were the fifth? 1000 yard duo in NFL history and they owe it to that Oline. 

Also Bradshaw and Jacobs one of the best RB duos the league has seen, Jacobs who just looked for the big hits and Bradshaw who hit the open lane with authority. 

Eli during those playoff runs was just unstoppable, he willed that team to wins.  

Toomer was such a clutch WR who made the play when it was needed and to that extent so was Nicks. 

OBJ in his prime took 5 yard slants and made them 50 yard TDs with ease, probably the best WR I've ever seen in blue. 

Corey Webster coming back from being benched and turning into one of the best corners in the NFL for a few seasons was great as well. 

Webster is a great choice.  

Have to also mention Tiki.  His last 5 seasons were unbelievable.  Averaged over 2,000 yards from scrimmage.  

I didn't see these guys play... but there's a reason why I know the names Rosie Brown, YA Tittle, Spider Lockhart, Brad Van Pelt, and Frank Gifford. 

From the days of my youth, Lawrence Taylor, Leonard Williams, Mark Bavaro, Harry Carson, and Phil Simms are no-brainers. I Also respected the game of Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, and Mark Collins (Collins shut down every WR but would always get smoked in the last two minutes of a game by Jerry Rice). 

After that, Michael Strahan, Jessie Armstead, Tiki Barber, and Amani Toomer. 

In the modern era, Eli Manning and basically that entire o-line in front of him from 2007-2011. Seubert and Diehl are probably my two favorite players from that group. I think Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Cruz also deserve an honorable mention. 

For me, Jesse Armstead.   I pretty missed the LT era.   It’s really impossible to just take one person given the great history of the franchise.   I’m one of those who prefers a dominant defense over a dominant offense and Armstead brought that to the table.

Honorable mention: Rodney Hampton and “The Hammer” Keith Hamilton.

On 11/26/2022 at 6:34 PM, BronxRik said:

Parcells.

Without him there is no Giants history. No LT. No Big Blue Wrecking Crew. No Simms. No Coughlin. No Eli. No 4 Superbowls. Not to mention we had Bellichick. This team is nothing without Parcells as head coach.

I agree

Right place at the right time with the right person

Thanks Ray Perkins and George Young minding his fucking business

He totally changed from being a player's coach in 1983 to being hard ass on everyone except LT (don't fuck with the franchise) in 1984

On 11/26/2022 at 8:53 PM, Sephiroth said:

I didn't see these guys play... but there's a reason why I know the names Rosie Brown, YA Tittle, Spider Lockhart, Brad Van Pelt, and Frank Gifford. 

From the days of my youth, Lawrence Taylor, Leonard Williams, Mark Bavaro, Harry Carson, and Phil Simms are no-brainers. I Also respected the game of Carl Banks, Pepper Johnson, and Mark Collins (Collins shut down every WR but would always get smoked in the last two minutes of a game by Jerry Rice). 

After that, Michael Strahan, Jessie Armstead, Tiki Barber, and Amani Toomer. 

In the modern era, Eli Manning and basically that entire o-line in front of him from 2007-2011. Seubert and Diehl are probably my two favorite players from that group. I think Bradshaw, Jacobs, and Cruz also deserve an honorable mention. 

I saw all of them bro except for YA and Rosie

Breakthrough talents all of them

I saw and read about YA and Rosie in old reels and books

17 hours ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

I saw all of them bro except for YA and Rosie

Breakthrough talents all of them

I saw and read about YA and Rosie in old reels and books

Never seen YA play, but all I've read about the guy is he was one of the toughest fucks to ever fuck in the NFL.

Would play with broken everything, throw for 6 TDs, then go and get fucking bombed that night after the game.

15 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

Never seen YA play, but all I've read about the guy is he was one of the toughest fucks to ever fuck in the NFL.

Would play with broken everything, throw for 6 TDs, then go and get fucking bombed that night after the game.

Yes, that was YA!! :rock:

LT is at the altar when it comes to best in NFL, so it's everyone way after that.

Strahan had the best maintained performance level from beginning to end. 

The last few years of Tiki are up there as the best of any Giant ever. One player offense. If he had figured out the fumbling issue earlier, he's in the hall of fame.

I am partial always to Rodney Hampton. Tiki ended up being better, but he had 5 1000 yard rushes and anyone of us watching those knows how shitty some of the entire teams/offensive lines/ fucking Cowboys!. Hampton would get hit in the backfield and keep churning to get 3 yards. I have one jersey in my attic and one signed helmet, both Hampton. Just always appreciated the effort.

2 hours ago, boohyah said:

LT is at the altar when it comes to best in NFL, so it's everyone way after that.

The last few years of Tiki are up there as the best of any Giant ever. One player offense. If he had figured out the fumbling issue earlier, he's in the hall of fame.

I am partial always to Rodney Hampton. Tiki ended up being better, but he had 5 1000 yard rushes and anyone of us watching those knows how shitty some of the entire teams/offensive lines/ fucking Cowboys!. Hampton would get hit in the backfield and keep churning to get 3 yards. I have one jersey in my attic and one signed helmet, both Hampton. Just always appreciated the effort.

Rodney was a beast man

LT was the best ever

I enjoyed watching LT rearrange defenses and seeing him feast on Broke Back, EgaLs, Commanders and yes Cardinals back in the day

The hits he did back then would be illegal now

He hit QB's Like RB's

There would be five flags thrown at him

2 hours ago, boohyah said:

Hampton was probably my first favorite Giant.  I came along during the super bowl against the bills as a 12 year old kid watching really his first NFL game, so I missed much of the LT / Simms greatness era. But Hampton was the first guy I kind of attached to, him and Jumbo.  

49 minutes ago, TaylorBanksCarsonVanPelt said:

Rodney was a beast man

LT was the best ever

I enjoyed watching LT rearrange defenses and seeing him feast on Broke Back, EgaLs, Commanders and yes Cardinals back in the day

The hits he did back then would be illegal now

He hit QB's Like RB's

There would be five flags thrown at him

I don't think he was all that illegal. I mean he was unreal fast for his size and that made the contact with the qb look so violent. I think the Theisman leg break scared the league because Theisman was the Redskins and he was done after that. I think that just started the whole process of rule changes to protect the qb. I mean you can't breath on them now.

10 minutes ago, Virginia Giant said:

Hampton was probably my first favorite Giant.  I came along during the super bowl against the bills as a 12 year old kid watching really his first NFL game, so I missed much of the LT / Simms greatness era. But Hampton was the first guy I kind of attached to, him and Jumbo.  

Rodney was a rookie in 90 alongside OJ and got hurt just before the playoffs but he had been heating up as the season went on. It would have been cool to be able to have that one two punch in the superbowl and wear the shit out of the bills. OJ did well though.

12 hours ago, boohyah said:

I don't think he was all that illegal. I mean he was unreal fast for his size and that made the contact with the qb look so violent. I think the Theisman leg break scared the league because Theisman was the Redskins and he was done after that. I think that just started the whole process of rule changes to protect the qb. I mean you can't breath on them now.

Yeah I went back and watched a ton of LT that 2020 preseason when there was nothing else to watch. The thing that stood out to me is that he played with such ferocity, but I didn’t see one hit that made me think oh man, that should be a flag today.

13 hours ago, boohyah said:

For sure mang I am with you

Just seeing those 880's-90's hits as compared to now 

LT, Carl Banks, Marshall, etc. would all be suspended now depending on those horrible calls these days

That hit by Leonard Marshall on Joe Montana during the NFC Championship game in 1990 would be called back today because of roughing

If I remember correctly, it was Mr. Homer Jerry Markbreit who was calling that game

He hated the Giants when they were Losing but turned around when they gave the Broke Backs and Egals the business

This is a violent game filled with CTE's, just ask Herschel among many unfortunate others

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Yeah I went back and watched a ton of LT that 2020 preseason when there was nothing else to watch. The thing that stood out to me is that he played with such ferocity, but I didn’t see one hit that made me think oh man, that should be a flag today.

The game is cupcake today

Guaranteed LT would have had Lost a game because he tackled a QB

I Loved watching him by the way

He had the will to win

He was a football Michael Jordan

When the Giants Lost to the 49ers in 1984 during the playoffs LT was inconsolable on the sidelines and said he hated, HATED Losing

We need more of that

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Operative word there is ‘should’. Lots of terrible roughing calls these days. 

that said — they were making flimsy roughing calls in the 80s too. It had already started. 

I agree

Not so much on LT he was too much bread and butter of the League