SportsWrath

John Mara: "We dug a hole so deep that I didn't see a clear path out of it unless we completely blew it up"

BronxRik

The Maras have been in ownership almost 100 years since 1925.  I don't see them pulling up stakes anytime soon.  In any organization you have nepotism.  The new GM has to insist on a free hand and if the Mara's want to win again, they will give the GM a free hand.  I think Tisch is insisting on this.  He wants to take his fellow producers to half watch a competitive game now.  Not something that happened a decade ago.  The Maras will stand aside if it brings wins back.

He certainly seemed genuine to me. Choked up, almost remorseful for what has happened to this team, yet firm in stating the new GM and coach will make the decisions going forward. I'm very hopeful for the future if they get the right guys. Unfortunately, the right guys are going to be hamstrung by the cap situation, but one thing at a time. 

I think the Maras must have had conversations with the right people, who, as I eluded to in another thread, essentially explained to them that 2022 is likely to be a 10 loss season anyway, in which case you'll just be firing Joe Judge then anyway, and if you do it then instead of now, you're just pro-longing the inevitable rebuild. So you might as well fire him now and start the rebuild now.

I think someone walked the Maras through this kind of scenario.

52 minutes ago, Herc said:

They definitely got spoken to by someone.  These excellent candidates they are asking permission to interview are WAY off brand for them

That definitely could have been a key factor as well. When they spoke to these GM candidates, very possible that there was reluctance to simply accept Judge by default.

And I bet the GM's likely informed the Maras that it's going to be a process to turn this thing around, implying a possible losing 10 loss season in 2022 while they turn over the roster (plus because we have no stability at the QB position), which to me implies that hey, Joe Judge would be fired then anyway.

11 minutes ago, jranieli said:

Serious question. Do the fans deserve credit as well? 

I think they have to.   If the Mara's are listening to sports radio or any sense of what fans on-line have been saying, there is a huge price to pay to keep Judge around. 

6 hours ago, mastershake said:

I think the Maras must have had conversations with the right people, who, as I eluded to in another thread, essentially explained to them that 2022 is likely to be a 10 loss season anyway, in which case you'll just be firing Joe Judge then anyway, and if you do it then instead of now, you're just pro-longing the inevitable rebuild. So you might as well fire him now and start the rebuild now.

I think someone walked the Maras through this kind of scenario.

Thankfully.  Hopefully it was the Ghost of Christmas past like the latter part of the 60's and the entire 70's....

6 hours ago, Herc said:

They definitely got spoken to by someone.  These excellent candidates they are asking permission to interview are WAY off brand for them

Not to mention the onslaught from fans... They were getting their asses handed to them everywhere.  

On 1/13/2022 at 6:27 AM, Sephiroth said:

Honestly, this will keep me watching Giants football. I had zero interest in watching a Judge-coached team next year.

Exactly. 2022 with Judge would have been just a transitory year, and a delay to get you to the start of the rebuild in 2023. Now we can start the rebuild in 2022. It may not be pretty; there will be a lot cap casualties of young players playing in 2022 I imagine, but it's necessary.

As long as the coach isn’t making atrocious in-game decisions and there’s young guys who are actively developing in front of me, then there’s light at the end of the tunnel and it’s a lot easier to live with losing 

2 hours ago, Herc said:

As long as the coach isn’t making atrocious in-game decisions and there’s young guys who are actively developing in front of me, then there’s light at the end of the tunnel and it’s a lot easier to live with losing 

Exactly. We came out of this season with a coach making atrocious decisions (plus bizarre press conferences), and regarding development; we have no idea what we have developing in front of us (minus maybe a handful of players like Thomas, Ojulari, and McKinney), particularly at the QB position.

Again not all Judge's fault on the personell, but Judge didn't help one bit. The team regressed.

3 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Exactly. We came out of this season with a coach making atrocious decisions (plus bizarre press conferences), and regarding development; we have no idea what we have developing in front of us (minus maybe a handful of players like Thomas, Ojulari, and McKinney), particularly at the QB position.

Again not all Judge's fault on the personell, but Judge didn't help one bit. The team regressed.

A lot of blame is on the now retired GM however, Judge was given some additional talent and he failed to utilize them… the record and how the team was a dead man walking sealed it for me.