SportsWrath

Draft "predictions" thread.

BlueInCanada

11 minutes ago, Nas said:

Given our FA signings, I don't see a TE or WR being a pressing need.   I do see OT and LB/DE being the top so Slater or Parson would be great in Round 1. 

You know me....I'm obviously prioritizing OL (I think interior line is a far bigger priority), plus I've recommended LB Parsons before, so I sort of agree with you here. Slater would be nice; he seems to be the only safe pick on the OL that high (now I'm reading all sorts of scary stuff on Sewell). Trading down for Vera-Tucker or Tevin Jenkins (as guards) might be an option as well.

7 hours ago, Nas said:

Given our FA signings, I don't see a TE or WR being a pressing need.   I do see OT and LB/DE being the top so Slater or Parson would be great in Round 1. 

I'm not concerned about TE but there's still some concern for WR with me. 1st... if KG misses time for any reason this WR Corps is just as stagnant as it was the last 2 years. 2nd as much as I dont want to believe it, Shep is probably getting released next offseason as he would save us around $10M. So unless we're absolutely positive that Slayton is the guy, AND Ross comes back to the form that made him a 1st round pick we need to make a move at WR within the first 4 rounds. 

14 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

I had read in a few places and the Giants podcast guys confirmed... Sewell is sliding on draft boards. If that fucking guy is there I think you have to take him if Pitts and Chase are gone.

Why is Sewell sliding though? Are the concerns legit? He seems like more of a traits guy than an NFL ready lineman like Slater.

7 hours ago, mastershake said:

Why is Sewell sliding though? Are the concerns legit? He seems like more of a traits guy than an NFL ready lineman like Slater.

Probably just "we have to have something to talk about" like RG3 being drafted over Luck.

It's just ore draft bullshit.

Look at Fields the guy is clear and away the second best QB in the draft, some say better than Lawrence at things.

But recently there are "QB concerns, toughness concerns" blah blah blah 

We all know it's just coming from teams hoping he slides, it's the same with Sewell. 

4 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

It's just ore draft bullshit.

Look at Fields the guy is clear and away the second best QB in the draft, some say better than Lawrence at things.

But recently there are "QB concerns, toughness concerns" blah blah blah 

We all know it's just coming from teams hoping he slides, it's the same with Sewell. 

Yeah this exactly. 

The more I watch of Waddle, the more I feel like he should be the pick at #11 if available.

If the guy were just two inches taller, and didn't have the injury in 2020, he'd be considered the best receiver in this class, and a lock for the Dolphins or Bengals. Heck, they still might surprise us and take him (I also wouldn't discount the possibility of the 49ers taking Davonte Smith at #3.

The fact that you hsbd to always account for him on the field could actually help relieve pressure from the OL.

With what we invested in Golladay, I don't want a WR in the 1st.  Would rather shore up protection/run lanes or the pass rush.

I know pass rushers are not blowing anyone away this year, but we need serious help in getting to the passer.

1st-3rd need to address offensive line, pass rusher, and WR...but I think WR is the least need of those 3 spots

48 minutes ago, gmenroc said:

With what we invested in Golladay, I don't want a WR in the 1st.  Would rather shore up protection/run lanes or the pass rush.

I know pass rushers are not blowing anyone away this year, but we need serious help in getting to the passer.

1st-3rd need to address offensive line, pass rusher, and WR...but I think WR is the least need of those 3 spots

Totally.  

1 hour ago, gmenroc said:

It depends....do you turn down a potential Tyreke Hill just to draft guy who will maybe get 7-8 sacks per year? or when you can get an OL in rds 2-3?

1st: WR Jaylen Waddle

2nd: G Wyatt Davis

3rd: DE/Edge Boogie Basham, Rashad Weaver, or Payton Turner

This guy Payton Turner is flying up draft boards so may not be possible in the 3rd.

5 hours ago, mastershake said:

The more I watch of Waddle, the more I feel like he should be the pick at #11 if available.

If the guy were just two inches taller, and didn't have the injury in 2020, he'd be considered the best receiver in this class, and a lock for the Dolphins or Bengals. Heck, they still might surprise us and take him (I also wouldn't discount the possibility of the 49ers taking Davonte Smith at #3.

The fact that you hsbd to always account for him on the field could actually help relieve pressure from the OL.

I won't be disappointed with Waddle at 11.

I kind of fell out of live with Smith after watching more of his stuff.

He will be a good WR but I feel he won't be a guy who can do it alone.

Chase or Waddle would be lovely at #11.

Just go scorched earth 5 WR sets.

Golladay, Waddle, Shepard, Engram and Barkley all out wide. 

Who needs an Oline when they will have to have 7 DBs on the field.

5 hours ago, gmenroc said:

We're one Golladay injury away from the 2020 Giants receiving corps, and he missed 11 games last year.

We need to find out if Daniel Jones is our QB going forward, but we won't ever find out if Darius Slayton is our #1 wideout.

Lot's of WR talent this year, I think we can go WR in the 2nd and get 90% of anyone not named Ja'Marr Chase. (And fuck his parents for using an apostrophe in his name. Typing it is so inconvenient.)

My ideal situation, trade back a little, pick up Slater or Vera-Tucker, whichever is left, or the best of the remaining front seven defensive players, like Parsons if he drops (I'd strongly consider at 11, pending inside details of his hazing issues), Phillips, Paye, or Ojulari. 

Take the list with a grain of salt, but if the giants really are considering these:

I'd be fine taking Parsons, Slater, Surtain, and Waddle at #11. Surtain would be among my least favorite choices just because I think we our secondary is fine and not in need of a 1st round pick.

Paye I am very uneasy with at #11. I think he comes in an is like a 6-8 sack per year guy. Not terrible, but definitely not worth the #11 overall pick. Especially uneasy if any of the above are on the board.

Ojulari...ehh... I don't know...if you take him, he's the kind of guy you trade down for more towards #15-20, and if you get him fine, if not draft someone else. Ojulari had better headline sack production in college, but he's smaller/weaker than Paye and might be more one dimensional in the pro game...sort of a boom or bust. Again, he like Paye is probably a 6-8 sack per year guy, but Paye may be better all around cause he's bigger and much stronger.

Bottom line, I'm good with Parsons, Slater, Surtain, or Waddle.

5 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

I won't be disappointed with Waddle at 11.

I kind of fell out of live with Smith after watching more of his stuff.

He will be a good WR but I feel he won't be a guy who can do it alone.

Chase or Waddle would be lovely at #11.

Just go scorched earth 5 WR sets.

Golladay, Waddle, Shepard, Engram and Barkley all out wide. 

Who needs an Oline when they will have to have 7 DBs on the field.

I think Smith turns out to be a Keenan Allen type receiver. Good reciever, solid volume catcher who can move sticks, nice stats, but not a game changer that strikes fear into defenses that you have to plan around. Chase and Waddle to me are game changers who strike fear into defenses.

I'd take Waddle, Parsons, or Slater with the 11th pick. I think Surtain is worth it in that spot too but our DBs are stacked right now.

Of course, if Pitts, Sewell, Chase, etc. slide you obviously take one of those guys.

On 4/14/2021 at 3:01 PM, mastershake said:

It depends....do you turn down a potential Tyreke Hill just to draft guy who will maybe get 7-8 sacks per year? or when you can get an OL in rds 2-3?

1st: WR Jaylen Waddle

2nd: G Wyatt Davis

3rd: DE/Edge Boogie Basham, Rashad Weaver, or Payton Turner

This guy Payton Turner is flying up draft boards so may not be possible in the 3rd.

Idk, we just signed a solid WR and our OL is in dire need of help right now... whoever is available between Slater then Parsons... if not then the best DE available.     We already tried that take with Barkley... great talent... mostly wasted because or OL is in shambles.   

20 hours ago, mastershake said:

Take the list with a grain of salt, but if the giants really are considering these:

I'd be fine taking Parsons, Slater, Surtain, and Waddle at #11. Surtain would be among my least favorite choices just because I think we our secondary is fine and not in need of a 1st round pick.

Paye I am very uneasy with at #11. I think he comes in an is like a 6-8 sack per year guy. Not terrible, but definitely not worth the #11 overall pick. Especially uneasy if any of the above are on the board.

Ojulari...ehh... I don't know...if you take him, he's the kind of guy you trade down for more towards #15-20, and if you get him fine, if not draft someone else. Ojulari had better headline sack production in college, but he's smaller/weaker than Paye and might be more one dimensional in the pro game...sort of a boom or bust. Again, he like Paye is probably a 6-8 sack per year guy, but Paye may be better all around cause he's bigger and much stronger.

Bottom line, I'm good with Parsons, Slater, Surtain, or Waddle.

Agreed with most of that. I've seen from some knowledgeable people that Paye's lack of pass rush production was a product of their defensive scheme, so I suspect that may play a factor. His measurables are special, we're talking about a lock blue chipper if he had 10+  sacks to his name.

And I just want to point out, the Giants pick 11, four QBs are going before they pick, and Kim Jones thought she was adding something by pasting basically  the consensus top non QBs, less Chase and Sewell. Really going out on a limb there, Kimmy.

15 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

Agreed with most of that. I've seen from some knowledgeable people that Paye's lack of pass rush production was a product of their defensive scheme, so I suspect that may play a factor. His measurables are special, we're talking about a lock blue chipper if he had 10+  sacks to his name.

And I just want to point out, the Giants pick 11, four QBs are going before they pick, and Kim Jones thought she was adding something by pasting basically  the consensus top non QBs, less Chase and Sewell. Really going out on a limb there, Kimmy.

The one surprise is Ojilari. I haven't seen him considered in the top 10, 11, or even top 15 anywhere. I would be disappointed if we drafted him. I won't be upset if we take Paye at #11 but will with Ojilari. Paye has better measurable and overall potential. Paye also can play from day 1 on run and pass downs. Ojilari is just a situational pass rusher at first, at least until they can get him into a weight program and have him gain 10-20 lbs, but then even if he does, who knows if adding weight affects his speed (which is already not as fast as Paye).

3 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

Something to note; Parsons supposedly has a shit attitude, he's priority #1 in his mind.

Some rumors/reports are the Gints are turned off, getting whiffs of OBJ.

Heard that too and still want to draft him.