SportsWrath

Draft "predictions" thread.

BlueInCanada

Since the draft is 26 days away, unlike mock drafts where we predict the players and are frankly played out and overdone at this point, I think it would be interesting to have a "predictions thread" i.e. what will the Giants do/not do in each round.

We can then see after the draft who pulled off some Nostradamus shit, or who much like me, don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

For example mine;

Round 1) Giants go defense no matter what unless Sewell is sitting at #11, and it will be an edge player. Slater is probably a better tackle than guard, and probably a better center than tackle. The Giants need guards, not a tweener project pick who might take few years to find his true spot on the line. The only play maker I think they would consider is Pitts, the big three WRs are all smaller, faster guys, which the Giants have an excess of, and they already have their new shiny playmaker in Golladay. Which edge do they take? Don't be surprised if it's Oweh. They want a day one contributor, as Mara said "We need to win now"

Round 2) Giants go best guard available. Whoever is left lots of depth at the guard position that will be in round two, the Giants get a day one starting rookie and the Oline keeps getting younger.

Round 3) Giants go back to defense with a "captain of the team" high character guy. More than likely a LB, but could also be some of those DTs in the later round who will fill into the spot once Shleton and Hill hit FA.

Round 4) Giants go boom or bust skill position player. WR/RB/DB whichever, it will be a guy draft pundits say; "Has a massive ceiling if he reaches his full potential, but can just as easily be off the team in two years". Probably adds value to the return game/ST.

Round 6) x2 1) Giants take jack of all trade/special teams player and 2) Giants take another OL player. The Giants get some sort of H-back type player, maybe even a QB like Taysom Hill with the Saints, a guy who has played everywhere in college, just a pure athlete who doesn't have a real role. They also add to the depth of the Oline in the sixth, more than likely another multi-year team captain, high character guy.

So as you can see not really a "mock draft" but more of a prediction on which side of the ball, or potential role the Giants are looking to fill.

If 3 QBs and 3 WRs go before us, I agree that Pitts or Sewell would be only offense we would look at in the 1st.  Edge rusher or Parsons are possibilities.  I would love Parsons at this point.  Whomever we get in 1st, they need to start day 1.

2nd, I like best interior linemen available.

3rd, would like a DE/LB guy.

4th, I'd look at a RB or OT.

Then I like the pure athlete approach.  Address KR/PR and maybe a WR with upside.

End of draft, we need a contributor on the offensive line and to inject some speed/pass rush to our defensive front 7.   A backup RB would be nice, but I think that's a luxury.  Still want to know where Gallman went so wrong to have not been brought back

Scenario A: Rd 1 - Micah Parsons (LB Penn St.), Rd 2 - Wyatt Davis (OG OSU), Rd 3 - Collins (WR Mich)/ St. Brown (WR USC), Rd 4-6 - BPA

Scenario B: Rd 1 - Rashawn Slater (OL Northwestern), Rd 2 - Chazz Surratt (LB UNC)/Carlos Basham Jr. (Edge WF), Rd 3 - See above

Scenario C: Rd 1 - Jaylen Waddle (WR Bama), Rd 2 - Wyatt Davis (OG OSU), Rd 3 - BPA

Scenario D: Rd 1 - Trade back to 15-20 picking up an extra 2nd... Rashad Bateman (WR Minn), Rd 2 - Davis (OG OSU) and Surratt (LB UNC), Rd 3 - BPA

My #1 player is Ja'Marr Chase and if he falls to 11 idc who else is on the board... I want him in a NYG Uniform, but that's kinda unrealistic so these are my backup wishes. 

Everyone seems to be talking character issues and mediocre arm length on Sewell....so him falling to #11 doesn't seem like it's impossible anymore (I wouldn't count on it but I also wouldn't be surprised if it happens, especially if you see a run on QBs and WRs in the top 10. If we do somehow land him, what do we do with him? Play him at G or T?

@ BC why is Slater not suited for Guard?

Not trying to be argumentative but my prediction is that they go offense in round 1 unless things go a certain way where Slater, Pitts, Waddle, Smith, and Chase all go before us and Surtain is available.  

12 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

Not trying to be argumentative but my prediction is that they go offense in round 1 unless things go a certain way where Slater, Pitts, Waddle, Smith, and Chase all go before us and Surtain is available.  

Why would that be argumentative? It's very possible they go offense at #11. At this point I think it's a toss up whether they go offense vs defense. I also don't think it would upset anyone whichever way they go (unless the pick itself is a weird reach).

8 minutes ago, mastershake said:

Everyone seems to be talking character issues and mediocre arm length on Sewell....so him falling to #11 doesn't seem like it's impossible anymore (I wouldn't count on it but I also wouldn't be surprised if it happens, especially if you see a run on QBs and WRs in the top 10. If we do somehow land him, what do we do with him? Play him at G or T?

@ BC why is Slater not suited for Guard?

I'm not saying he isnt suited for Guard, I'm saying he's a better tackle than guard, and would probably be a better center than anything. Slater is a technician, not a bruiser, it's why he was a OT in college, he has some of the best footwork and is probably the most technically sound OT in the draft, he uses his lack of size and strength and makes up for it in leverage and pad level on the outside. However you know where all of that means nothing? Playing Guard in the NFL.

Guards in todays NFL are facing bigger/faster/stronger IDL players then ever before, you have guys who are 6'4 300+ pounds who run under 5 second 40 times, guys who line in the gap, on the shoulder, or you have MLBs and DTs lining up in the A gaps.

His whole game of being a technician isnt going to help him when he's facing the type of strength and multiple player pressure he will in the NFL. He's much more suited to be on and island, one on one with a pass rusher or blitzing LB.

I also feel if you put him at center suddenly he can be a guy who doesn't have to face the IDL alone, and can use his quick feet and leverage ability to double team and peel off the block to get to the second level, as well as be smart enough to make protection calls at the line.

Why would I say no to Slater though?

As a Tackle, he's probably worth the #11 pick, as a Guard though? Guys in the second round would be the same as him with what you get. Not to mention like me and you have said, you might draft Slater and then have to spend the next few years figuring out where he works, time the Giants dont have.

Just my opinion though, I wouldn't be disappointed with him at #11 and having his versatility, I just predict the Giants go defense.

9 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

Not argumentative at all <3

Like I said it's just a prediction thread, we all are just armchair fans of the same team.

I won't be disappointed with one of the big play makers in the draft.

As I said before as long as it isnt a QB or RB I'll be fairly happy with the pick lol

11 hours ago, Dragon said:

Scenario A: Rd 1 - Micah Parsons (LB Penn St.), Rd 2 - Wyatt Davis (OG OSU), Rd 3 - Collins (WR Mich)/ St. Brown (WR USC), Rd 4-6 - BPA

Scenario B: Rd 1 - Rashawn Slater (OL Northwestern), Rd 2 - Chazz Surratt (LB UNC)/Carlos Basham Jr. (Edge WF), Rd 3 - See above

Scenario C: Rd 1 - Jaylen Waddle (WR Bama), Rd 2 - Wyatt Davis (OG OSU), Rd 3 - BPA

Scenario D: Rd 1 - Trade back to 15-20 picking up an extra 2nd... Rashad Bateman (WR Minn), Rd 2 - Davis (OG OSU) and Surratt (LB UNC), Rd 3 - BPA

My #1 player is Ja'Marr Chase and if he falls to 11 idc who else is on the board... I want him in a NYG Uniform, but that's kinda unrealistic so these are my backup wishes. 

All seem like good players.

What's the deal with Carlos Basham? His production, workouts, and profile seem like that of a 1st rounder, but most mocks have him falling to rounds 2-3. Seems like he could be a steal there.

16 minutes ago, mastershake said:

All seem like good players.

What's the deal with Carlos Basham? His production, workouts, and profile seem like that of a 1st rounder, but most mocks have him falling to rounds 2-3. Seems like he could be a steal there.

Gonna be real... I have no idea. My cousin brought him to my attention and after watching highlights and seeing where he was being mocked I was on board. 

Everyone is going to be very excited and expecting each player to turn into a ten year starter with a pro bowl nod except the players the Giants draft for a position they felt the Giants didn't need that round (because that other guy was still on the board and he was in my mock draft!) and that guy will be the reason why the Giants miss the playoffs.  Followed by the post draft free agent pickups that should have been drafted and would have been drafted if the draft was longer who are going to make the final roster.

Ending with Fire Gettleman Already

:yawn:

25 minutes ago, Pdouble said:

Oh I predict there will be people who hate the first round pick but think every other guy we draft will be solid starters.  

I got to bump the draft threads from 2019 before Jones. 

I had some links to PFF/ESPN that looked at drafts and expected starters/years on a team.

Basically the average is three guys (out of a standard 7 picks) we'll be on the team for four years. Of those three your lucky if one is a career starter and even more lucky if he is on your team after 7 years.

The draft is a crap shoot even after all the years, your lucky if you get a guy who lasts his career on your team, even luckier if he's starter.

5 minutes ago, BlueInCanada said:

I got to bump the draft threads from 2019 before Jones. 

I had some links to PFF/ESPN that looked at drafts and expected starters/years on a team.

Basically the average is three guys (out of a standard 7 picks) we'll be on the team for four years. Of those three your lucky if one is a career starter and even more lucky if he is on your team after 7 years.

The draft is a crap shoot even after all the years, your lucky if you get a guy who lasts his career on your team, even luckier if he's starter.

Yeah, I saw something similar about the hit rate on first round picks in particular...  I think it was around 60%, and I'm not sure that number isn't escalated by the league's tendency to keep giving those first round picks chances.

1.  Kyle Pitts will be available at 11, and we're taking him.  I was fully in the "don't take a TE in round 1" camp, but he really is a special player... dude's body control is fucking ridiculous.  If he's gone, we're selecting Jaylen Waddle (I don't think Shepard will on the team with his injury history for more than 2 more seasons). 

2.  We go O-lineman in round 2.  Best one available, but I think if Wyatt Davis is there he's the selection.  

3.  Joe Tryon in round 3.

4.  We select another WR and RB this draft;  possibly a developmental DT in round 4.  

5.  Season to taste.  There are late-round guys I really love in this draft. 

I'd be okay with anything WR, TE (Pitts), OL, or LB (Parsons) at #11. Obviously I'd prefer OL if Slater is around.

I'm starting to lean away from drafting a CB in round 1 at #11 (unless we trade down significantly) because we already have two big $10mm plus contracts allocated to CB (plus cap/high draft investments in three players at S as well), and lean away from EDGE as well, as the more I read about this year's edge rushers, the less and less I like at #11 (again, perhaps if we trade down and get Joseph Ossai or Jaelen Phillips...I'm just not confident in Rosseau, Paye, Owah, or Ojulari)

33 minutes ago, mastershake said:

I'd be okay with anything WR, TE (Pitts), OL, or LB (Parsons) at #11. Obviously I'd prefer OL if Slater is around.

I'm starting to lean away from drafting a CB in round 1 at #11 (unless we trade down significantly) because we already have two big $10mm plus contracts allocated to CB (plus cap/high draft investments in three players at S as well), and lean away from EDGE as well, as the more I read about this year's edge rushers, the less and less I like at #11 (again, perhaps if we trade down and get Joseph Ossai or Jaelen Phillips...I'm just not confident in Rosseau, Paye, Owah, or Ojulari)

Given our FA signings, I don't see a TE or WR being a pressing need.   I do see OT and LB/DE being the top so Slater or Parson would be great in Round 1.