SportsWrath

Another Daniel Jones Disaster vs. Buccaneers Means Giants Must Draft New QB

jranieli

I'm not ready to give up on him. Not until we have a competent, capable starting offensive line. One that doesn't have the play calling running conservative/scared, and one that doesn't have a QB scrambling for his life half the time, plus one where we have a functioning, consistent running game.

Now yes, if Lawrence is there and we are there, you take him. If not, forget it. There's no other "can't miss" QB's in this draft. Any other QB draft pick will be just as uncertain, just as much of a question mark as DJ.

Surprise surprise the media experts who are paid by exactly 0 NFL teams for their opinions and laughed at the giants drafting him 6th are in a rush to declare themselves right after looking like morons the first time jones played the bucs

3 hours ago, Herc said:

Surprise surprise the media experts who are paid by exactly 0 NFL teams for their opinions and laughed at the giants drafting him 6th are in a rush to declare themselves right after looking like morons the first time jones played the bucs

They need something besides Covid to report on. :whistling:

Yeah media is beating that drum now pretty consistently just so they can write about the next QB.  Maybe he'll give them more to write about?  I don't judge a QB based on the success or failures of other QB's in the league.  Daniel Jones is making mistakes and needs more help or the next guy will continue the struggle of moving the ball and putting points on the board, nevermind wins.

Let's assume for a second that we aren't in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence...who really after that is left that you can really bank on rebuilding around?

Here are the potential 1st round prospects:

- Justin Fields, Ohio State

- Trey Lance, ND State

That's pretty much it. Would we really abandon DJ for one of these two? I'm not sure that's a good idea.

One idea I'd be open to is if the Texans get Trevor Lawrence, trading a 3rd rounder or so for Deshaun Watson. 

1 hour ago, mastershake said:

Let's assume for a second that we aren't in a position to draft Trevor Lawrence...who really after that is left that you can really bank on rebuilding around?

Here are the potential 1st round prospects:

- Justin Fields, Ohio State

- Trey Lance, ND State

That's pretty much it. Would we really abandon DJ for one of these two? I'm not sure that's a good idea.

One idea I'd be open to is if the Texans get Trevor Lawrence, trading a 3rd rounder or so for Deshaun Watson. 

It all depends on the new GM and potentially new coaching staff.

I just hope Mara doesn't say "You have to keep Judge, Jones, etc"

No GM worth a damn wants to be forced to run with guys he doesn't think will work.

However if the new GM wants Judge and Jones then bring on WR Chase or DE Rousseau.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

It all depends on the new GM and potentially new coaching staff.

I just hope Mara doesn't say "You have to keep Judge, Jones, etc"

No GM worth a damn wants to be forced to run with guys he doesn't think will work.

However if the new GM wants Judge and Jones then bring on WR Chase or DE Rousseau.

No matter the GM, I'm not sure Fields or Lance are really that compelling. Are we really going to invest what looks like a top #5 pick on one of them? I can't see it. And DJ is only 23.

7 minutes ago, mastershake said:

No matter the GM, I'm not sure Fields or Lance are really that compelling. Are we really going to invest what looks like a top #5 pick on one of them? I can't see it. And DJ is only 23.

The same was said about DJ last year.

He didn't look like a guy worth investing a top 10 pick into.

And yes I can easily see it, a new GM, HC and OC all come in and get enamored with Fields or another QB in the draft.

2 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

The same was said about DJ last year.

He didn't look like a guy worth investing a top 10 pick into.

And yes I can easily see it, a new GM, HC and OC all come in and get enamored with Fields or another QB in the draft.

I just don't see Fields or Lance on a level where any GM would honestly say "Ah yes, he much has more potential than Jones." They're kind of the same level prospect, and you restart a rebuild for 2-3 years. Who wants to do that? Better use of a top 5 pick at a position other than QB.

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Right this minute, Jones doesn't look like the guy. 

He has eight games to prove otherwise. 

All talk of a quarterback switch is premature until then. 

I'm fine with that logic, however my problem is if we don't get Lawrence, who do we get? No-one else in the draft really excites me.

Again, I'd be open to trading for Deshaun Watson though if the Texans end up winning the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes.

4 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Right this minute, Jones doesn't look like the guy. 

He has eight games to prove otherwise. 

All talk of a quarterback switch is premature until then. 

I don't think Jones or anyone on the roster is going to prove anything in the next 8 games.  I can assure you if Daniel Jones continues to struggle next season, we will have excellent draft position again for a QB.

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

I don't think Jones or anyone on the roster is going to prove anything in the next 8 games.  I can assure you if Daniel Jones continues to struggle next season, we will have excellent draft position again for a QB.

You don't think if Jones continues to throw for under 200 yards per game, make head-scratching picks, and come up small with the game on the line that the team might not look elsewhere? 

51 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

You don't think if Jones continues to throw for under 200 yards per game, make head-scratching picks, and come up small with the game on the line that the team might not look elsewhere? 

Exactly

Giants have Colt McCoy just sitting there and they can play him at any time and have chosen not to.  If Daniel Jones is really the biggest problem the last few weeks, he would have been benched already.

When the Giants lose it comes down to a collection of failures on key plays spanning four quarters.  You definitely notice Daniel Jones fail more than others simply because he always has the ball.  I think the Giants need to continue to fix the team around Daniel Jones for the immediate future.

2 hours ago, Tempest said:

Exactly

Giants have Colt McCoy just sitting there and they can play him at any time and have chosen not to.  If Daniel Jones is really the biggest problem the last few weeks, he would have been benched already.

When the Giants lose it comes down to a collection of failures on key plays spanning four quarters.  You definitely notice Daniel Jones fail more than others simply because he always has the ball.  I think the Giants need to continue to fix the team around Daniel Jones for the immediate future.

Colt McCoy is not the future on any NFL team. He's an insurance policy, nothing more. It would be asinine to give him any meaningful reps in a lost season. 

Jones could be the future and has shown flashes for sure, but at this point he's known more for the big turnover (or falling down running for a sure TD) than the big play. That was true last year as well and there are no signs he's improving in that area. 

If he can't get his shit together these next 8 games, I think you have to at least start looking around in the draft or for a serviceable veteran. 

Jones isn't the problem. Well, maybe he is. The turnovers are just terrible. But this team has been in the game for most of the losses. They still can't punch it in once they're in the red zone. This goes all the way back to the Coughlin era. Always walking away with 3. It's like there's a shield up once they're inside the 20.

No, the biggest problem with this team of non superstars is, they just can't finish. They're like the drunk guy at the club on a Saturday night that's got the girl about to drop her panties and then pukes in her Gucci handbag. No pooty tang for you. It's so frustrating. 

I think Judge is staying, maybe Garrett is on the chopping block, but this team has been outmatched in just about every game and has been competitive in almost every game. 

I don't know much about the crop of QBs other than Lawrence, I would be sad if we drafted him, but I'm rolling with DJ.  The turnovers need to stop, but given a competent line I don't see how anyoen really believes he hasn't shown that he can play at a pretty high level. 

I dont get it - yes DJ had some boneheaded mistakes - that second INT was a fuckstick on the forehead and that 2pt conversion was late - but did anyone realise we hung in there with the Bucs?? The Bucs man - possibly the best team in the NFC and we hung in there with them and actually had a shot to win it if not for 10 pts of turnovers. And this with a shit OL (that played quite well, Thomas held his own against Shaq and JPP which was encouraging and the D played well). This without Saquon and a bunch of WR3s on any other team.

The losses are gut wrenching yes and brought upon by ourselves - wont deny that - but this team is trending in the right direction. If we could only upgrade on talent in a couple places.

P.S - Bradberry after all his stellar muffed on just 1 play - the Evans TD and that was just sad!

22 hours ago, Sephiroth said:

Colt McCoy is not the future on any NFL team. He's an insurance policy, nothing more. It would be asinine to give him any meaningful reps in a lost season. 

Jones could be the future and has shown flashes for sure, but at this point he's known more for the big turnover (or falling down running for a sure TD) than the big play. That was true last year as well and there are no signs he's improving in that area. 

If he can't get his shit together these next 8 games, I think you have to at least start looking around in the draft or for a serviceable veteran. 

You mean like Colt McCoy?  He doesn't have to be the next starting QB for the NY Giants for the rest of his NFL career, he just has win games the rest of the season.

Think for a moment.  If Colt McCoy can do more with this offense than Daniel Jones, it would definitely put the majority of the blame on Jones.  To most of you the season was lost before it began so to argue to about saving the season in a year when the NFC East is abysmal is ridiculous.  Jones can very well be the future but that will not be decided this season.  If McCoy can lead this team to some victories then the organization would decide to move away from Jones as unlikely as that will be as I see it now.

29 minutes ago, Tempest said:

You mean like Colt McCoy?  He doesn't have to be the next starting QB for the NY Giants for the rest of his NFL career, he just has win games the rest of the season.

Think for a moment.  If Colt McCoy can do more with this offense than Daniel Jones, it would definitely put the majority of the blame on Jones.  To most of you the season was lost before it began so to argue to about saving the season in a year when the NFC East is abysmal is ridiculous.  Jones can very well be the future but that will not be decided this season.  If McCoy can lead this team to some victories then the organization would decide to move away from Jones as unlikely as that will be as I see it now.

No, not like Colt McCoy (and holy Christ, I can't believe I have to have this discussion). More like DeShaun Watson or Jimmy Garappolo if they become available. Maybe you take a hard look at Dak Prescott or as others have said, start looking at the draft prospects (or maybe trade up for Trevor Lawrence if you're the #2 pick. 

You are not going to learn if Daniel Jones is the quarterback of the future by starting Colt McFucking Coy.