SportsWrath

Can you name one position we've upgraded this offseason?

mastershake

1 minute ago, Pdouble said:

Martinez is an improvement over Ogletree. 

Bradberry, Baker and Beal is better than just Baker and Beal. 

I don't see Martinez as an improvement.

Is Bradberry an upgrade over Janoris Jenkins? That's what I'm judging on. Jenkins wasn't released until late in the season.

Lateral moves, in my opinion. They didn’t improve pass rush, at all. Special teams is the only area I could see as improved and it’s such a small part of the game anymore, I don’t understand any team that is focused on signing special team tacklers. 

1 hour ago, Storm said:

Lateral moves, in my opinion. They didn’t improve pass rush, at all. Special teams is the only area I could see as improved and it’s such a small part of the game anymore, I don’t understand any team that is focused on signing special team tacklers. 

My feelings exactly.

I think Fleming is a much better OL than anyone else we had in the bench last year.

Bradberry is better than any other CB on this roster ATM but they paid for it.

Other than that no not really.

Giving a underachieving DT a 16 million prove it tag was kind of fucking stupid.

Then signing a one dimensional LB to 14 million was also fucking stupid.

Then signing a OLB who is basically Golden 2.0 for 5 million for one year is also fucking stupid.

And there goes half of your cap space.

I mean sure I knew this team wasn't going to make noise next year but at least make it look like you are trying to improve lol

I know trying to build a winning team with a roster as void as talent as the Giants are is going to be tough but typically with FA your trying to bring in better talent not just replace it with the same level.

1 hour ago, BlueInCanada said:

I think Fleming is a much better OL than anyone else we had in the bench last year.

Bradberry is better than any other CB on this roster ATM but they paid for it.

Other than that no not really.

Giving a underachieving DT a 16 million prove it tag was kind of fucking stupid.

Then signing a one dimensional LB to 14 million was also fucking stupid.

Then signing a OLB who is basically Golden 2.0 for 5 million for one year is also fucking stupid.

And there goes half of your cap space.

I mean sure I knew this team wasn't going to make noise next year but at least make it look like you are trying to improve lol

I know trying to build a winning team with a roster as void as talent as the Giants are is going to be tough but typically with FA your trying to bring in better talent not just replace it with the same level.

Yep. Plus Golden remains unsigned last I checked. We probably could have locked him in with like 2 years 12 million, or 3 years 18.

Instead, between Williams and Fackrell, we paid 22 million for 1.5 sacks. Ugh.

It's been a pretty disappointing offseason for sure. 

This was supposed to be the "we're out from under these big contracts, let's make a splash" offseason but like Drizz said, these have been lateral moves at best. 

It has been an interesting free agency period for the NY Giants.  New head coach from the New England Patriots who are champions more often than not comes to town.  A team flush with cash and seemingly vacant of talent then goes about with about business with barely a ripple in the water.  Something must be wrong, we didn't get a pass rusher, the offensive line is a disaster, secondary a sieve, linebackers unheralded, and without OBJ.  We have holes all over the place because we only won 4 games last year and 12 in the last 3.  Could it be possible an outsider has come in and looked around the shop and said we aren't devoid of talent but have failed to get the most out of the talent already here?

Giants should have new ownership, Gettleman should be fired and if Joe Judge thinks he can win with this roster he should be fired is what the fans are left to think at this point.  Maybe you should go play Madden 2019 and do a better job.

Hopefully Martinez is the next Antonio Pierce (  Ogletree was a massive disappointment to all of us ) .

I like the Bradberry signing too ( Jackrabbit was pretty much done anyway .....and also a total and utter asshole )

Toilolo at TE sounds like he might actually be able to block !

and i like the sound of Ebner on Special teams etc.

Plus we didnt break the bank and mortgage our future like Jerry Reese would have done.

Plenty to come in the draft ( for our O line hopefully ) and i think we will be a better outfit on the field with Danny Dimes in year 2 and a healthy Saquon. 

That’s exactly what NFL Network’s Gregg Rosenthal did on Monday, claiming the Giants and Gettleman handed out two of the NFL’s worst free-agent contracts here in 2020.

Blake Martinez and Kyler Fackrell, New York Giants linebackers: This is a classic case of a team overpaying for mid-level players in free agency because they can’t draft or develop at the position. The Giants’ linebackers have been a problem for years, so GM Dave Gettleman paid Martinez like a pass rusher: $19 million guaranteed and $22 million over the next two years. He would have been a lot better off just spending a little extra money on new Raider Cory Littleton or signing Joe Schobert, who went to Jacksonville. Fackrell was less of an issue — he received $4.6 million for one year — but it was another deal that had the look of an organization just hoping to climb back to the middle.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/giantswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/24/did-new-york-giants-hand-out-two-nfl-worst-free-agent-contracts/amp/

This is what I hate most about the signings.

We settled for average players but gave them game changing money just because we had holes to fill on the roster.

Why not draft for those spots to fill and go get one or two play makers?

Instead of just throwing money at more average players just for the sake of having more players.

1 hour ago, CrazedDogs said:

Well I wanted to defend the Martinez contract, but I suspect he's right... I tried, but couldn't rationalize it based on my estimation of the player. Good steady player, but for that much money steady isn't enough.

The only bonus to all the contracts is Getty front loaded all of them.

Most of the guys are gone after year two.

It's almost like he expects to get fired or for the team to make a miraculous turn around and win the SB in two years before Barkley and Jones have to get paid.

The Giants appeared to have signed a bunch of solid..."Do your Job" sort of guys. They aren't injury prone..they show up every game....they don't wow you...they just grind and don't make a lot of mistakes.

...now where has that worked in the past...hmmmm?

C. Wagon

4 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

The Giants appeared to have signed a bunch of solid..."Do your Job" sort of guys. They aren't injury prone..they show up every game....they don't wow you...they just grind and don't make a lot of mistakes.

...now where has that worked in the past...hmmmm?

C. Wagon

No but you see...  :Popcorn-emot:

On 3/24/2020 at 6:50 PM, CrazedDogs said:

If you want a good laugh, watch a Blake Martinez highlight video. Half the plays are routine tackles five or more yards downfield. I'm watching that shit like, 'these.... are highlights?'

I thought the same thing. 

You should see the "Blake Martinez is overrated" videos. He's Alex Ogletree. 

On 3/24/2020 at 4:19 PM, CrazedDogs said:

Well I wanted to defend the Martinez contract, but I suspect he's right... I tried, but couldn't rationalize it based on my estimation of the player. Good steady player, but for that much money steady isn't enough.

I'm afraid our trust in Getty is misplaced.. he's made quite a few boneheaded moves.

7 hours ago, Nas said:

I'm afraid our trust in Getty is misplaced.. he's made quite a few boneheaded moves.

Everyone makes mistakes, some even learn from them and fewer still admit to them.  Gettleman has made mistakes, I think he has shown that he has learned from them since those players are no longer on the roster and by releasing them at risk of dead money he has done so.  Giants have been at work this off seasons signing new players to front loaded contracts so we don't stuck with buyers remorse and can move on from players faster with a lower risk of dead money.