SportsWrath

Not to depress people more...

BlueInCanada

Cowboys aren't letting him go, he's Jerry's guy.  I would take Jason Garrett as well if I had to choose between the two.  I think Jason Garrett has proven to be a good coach with an overbearing owner/general manager.

5 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Cowboys aren't letting him go, he's Jerry's guy.  I would take Jason Garrett as well if I had to choose between the two.  I think Jason Garrett has proven to be a good coach with an overbearing owner/general manager.

It's not their choice, Garretts contract is up at the end of the year and Jurriah already said there would be no extension during the season.

3 hours ago, UK-Giantsfan said:

I think he is a good balanced guy Nas , he is a very good HC ( IMO ) , he understands Offense. He is an ex Giant and has expressed his liking for NY in the past.

( He would be an upgrade on Shurmur i believe )

The Madden suggest a play AI would be an upgrade on Shurmur

No, no we do not. 

He's not the coach I thought he would be, at all. You would assume being a Princeton guy that he'd be sharp and analytically inclined, but he seems to be operating under some very old misconceptions about in game tactics, and has publicly scorned the idea of reevaluating those misconceptions. 

His early fourth down attempt last night felt like desperation.

13 minutes ago, CrazedDogs said:

No, no we do not. 

He's not the coach I thought he would be, at all. You would assume being a Princeton guy that he'd be sharp and analytically inclined, but he seems to be operating under some very old misconceptions about in game tactics, and has publicly scorned the idea of reevaluating those misconceptions. 

i think he's better than our current HC and the one before him

20 hours ago, CrazedDogs said:

No, no we do not. 

I think at one point in time a younger Jason Garrett could of become one of the best OCs/HCs in the NFL.

He was bringing back smash mouth football,  with a heavy dose of establishing the run, but being able to call a passing game if he had too.

The problem? Jerriah Jones and the Cowboys. They dug their claws into him and turned him into a mindless "Yes Sir" HC who basically does everything that Jerriah asks of him.

10 hours ago, BlueInCanada said:

lol Please for the love of god Mara, don't hire this guy.

Holy fuck he's Shurmur 2.0

Agreed 100%

Dude has a stacked roster and still can't win.  We'd go 0-16 with Garrett running this roster. 

6 minutes ago, KidGorgeous said:

He’s perfect for them.  Will keep his mouth shut and do what our “football guy” owners tell him to do

The more I think about it the more I think of how lucky we were to have Coughlin.

You look at the coaches we have had after him;

MacAdoodles - A position coach who had to pleasure of the Giants thinking he was anything more than that, however he was so desperate to move up in the NFL hierarchy he was nothing more than a yes man who had no problem bending over for Mara and company.

Shurmur - Turning into MacAttack 2.0 and doesnt have the balls to say to Mara to trust the process.

You know Coughlin wasn't giving two shits about what Mara was thinking week in and out, he was here for one thing and that was to win games. Coughlin was also a scout at heart, you watch his Football Life doc and they even say he spent as much time out there watching film as the scouts every offseason.

As much I hope we find another HC worth a damn, it might not honestly happen with Mara at the helm.

What self respecting coach wants to come to a team that will fire him after two bad seasons? Or won't even let him run the team that way he wants it?

All Mara want's is a yes man who will follow "The Giants Way" because after Coughlin he's to afraid to let go of control of his team.

John Mara & Steve Tisch are great owners imo.

They don't meddle in the daily operations of the team, play favorites with team members or staff members.  They did hold on to Jerry Reese for too long and fired Tom Coughlin before replacing Jerry Reese.  Those mistakes I believe are the only two they have made since they took over team from their fathers.  There was a real lack of self evaluation and correction for years that allowed the team to deteriorate.

I like what Dave Gettleman has done via the draft and free agency even.  Every free agent is not going to be a great signing and he has moved on from those who failed to meet expectations.  Don't know if Shurmur gets fired at the end of the season, I still trust Gettleman to find the next head coach if the organization goes that way.  

I believe in a separation of power and responsibilities of a general manager and head coach.  General Manager has to look five years down the road and the head coach has to focus on next week.  The next head coach of this team will not be getting control of personnel.

4 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Which is unique in the NFL?

fairly unique, yeah.... it puts them in the company of teams like Dallas, Washington, and Cincinnati (the owner's daughter runs the show there, lol!... and quite the shit show it is)

Most owners have the sense to stay out of the football side of the operation. This generation of Maras does not.